[comp.sys.amiga] MOVIE animations and Amiga 3000

fmcphers@VTTCF.CC.VT.EDU (11/07/90)

I've been FTP'ing animations from the directory
/amiga/demos/traditional on new xanth.  Whenever I run one of these demos

(which all appear to use movie), my 3000 crashes immediatly after exiting the
demo.  What gives?  I realize that the instructions say to set the stack size
at 8000, but that isn't a problem, 'cause my stack is an order of magnitude
larger than that.  (it gets set to 100,000 every time I boot the machine. I
do that because I'm doing some ray-tracing with DKBTrace, and it requires lots
of stack space)
Anyway, has anyone else had similar problems?  I really like some of the demos.
I wish my machine wouldn't crash after running them.....
BTW -- speaking of demos: I downloaded one of the Euro demos as well.  A copper
demo.  I can't remember which one it was, but it was HORRIBLE.  At least
fifteen minutes long, and nothing much happened.
Thanks in advance for any replies,

-- Frank McPherson                INTERNET: fmcphers@vttcf.cc.vt.edu --
-- "Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God."  K.V. --

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (11/08/90)

fmcphers@VTTCF.CC.VT.EDU writes:

> I've been FTP'ing animations from the directory
> /amiga/demos/traditional on new xanth.  Whenever I run one of these demos
>
> (which all appear to use movie), my 3000 crashes immediatly after exiting the
> demo.  What gives?  I realize that the instructions say to set the stack size
> at 8000, but that isn't a problem, 'cause my stack is an order of magnitude
> larger than that.  (it gets set to 100,000 every time I boot the machine. I
> do that because I'm doing some ray-tracing with DKBTrace, and it requires lot
> of stack space)
> Anyway, has anyone else had similar problems?  I really like some of the demo
> I wish my machine wouldn't crash after running them.....
> BTW -- speaking of demos: I downloaded one of the Euro demos as well.  A copp
> demo.  I can't remember which one it was, but it was HORRIBLE.  At least
> fifteen minutes long, and nothing much happened.
> Thanks in advance for any replies,

> -- Frank McPherson                INTERNET: fmcphers@vttcf.cc.vt.edu --
> -- "Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God."  K.V. --

Ok. One common mistakeis to not set the stack for each process. If you
run these demos from the workbench, check the icon, and do and 'Info' on
it. Check the stack size. Make sure it is set to high enough. If you run
it from the Shell, you have to always make sure that the stack for each
shell is high enough. One thing that you could do is to edit two files;
s:startup-sequence and s:shell-startup. Make sure that they both have
lines like this:

stack 100000   ; This will ensure that the default process and each Shell
               ; spawned had the proper stack size. You MUST check the
               ; stack size for the icons for for the programs you start
               ; from the workbench. BTW, you can leave these comments
               ; out when you actually add them into your
               ; startup-sequence, although they might help you remember
               ; why these are here.

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu