[comp.sys.amiga] *** WEATHER SATELLITE PROJECT = FRIED 8520'S ***

syoder@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Scott A Yoder) (11/07/90)

      *** I recently posted this to comp.sys.amiga.hardware and didn't ***
                  *** get much response.  Here it is again: ***

	I am currently working on a project to receive NOAA polar orbiting
satellite pics.  The hardware includes an AM Demodulator A-D converter to send
the grayscale values to my Amiga 500 via the parallel port.  My problem is this:

	I hook the interface up and even though the pins on the interface
	connector vary from high to low, I only get a value of 255 from
	memory location $bfe101 (Parallel port).  The weird thing is
	when I first hooked the project up several years ago the values
	changed like they're supposed to.  I've checked the connector with
	a scope, and no pins are left hanging.

I took apart my perfect sound and checkd some of the pins like STROBE and
RESET to see what they were set at.  Perfect sound works like the board should.
Funny thing STROBE (active low) was at +5V and several other oddities like Paper
Out were also high.  I thought I'd wire STROBE and the others to +5 from the
power supply that powers my interface board, just like PSound but BAD MOVE!!!!  I fried my 8520's (At least one).  I don't understand why exacly, and I was
wondering if anyone could tell me what I'm doing wrong.  I haven't modified
anything on the interface board between the times it was working and now.
I don't understand how it could just stop working.  It's as if the Amiga doesn't
recognize that it's there.

Comments, suggestions, HELP send them all to:

*                 syoder@en.ecn.purdue.edu   Scott A. Yoder                    *

mcmahan@netcom.UUCP (Dave Mc Mahan) (11/08/90)

 In a previous article, syoder@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Scott A Yoder) writes:
>      *** I recently posted this to comp.sys.amiga.hardware and didn't ***
>                  *** get much response.  Here it is again: ***
>
>	I am currently working on a project to receive NOAA polar orbiting
>satellite pics.  The hardware includes an AM Demodulator A-D converter to send
>the grayscale values to my Amiga 500 via the parallel port. My problem is this:

[  rest deleted to save space.  ]

I'm not sure if there is something wrong with your mailer or what, but I sent
you a response on your first post and another e-mail response just now.  I'm
posting to C.S.A. just to ensure that you get my message in case you don't
get the e-mail I sent.  The following is a verbatim copy of the e-mail I just
sent you.

Did you get my response to your problem?  I was the guy that has written
some wefax software for home use and blew up the CIA chip connected to the
parallel port.  E-mail me one way or another so I know you got this.

   -dave

--
Dave McMahan                            mcmahan@netcom.uucp
					{apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!mcmahan