[comp.sys.amiga] 8/24 bit MAC to AMIGA

mt1l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Marc Howard Thomas) (11/08/90)

I am currently attempting to design a multimedia system using the Amiga as a platform.  What I need to be able to do (Among other things) is:
Take a 24 bit Mac graphics file (PICT or whatever) or an 8 bit IFF/ILBM graphics file and display it in high resolution interlaced HAM mode on the Amiga.

So far I have examined the following programs: Imagelink, Butcher, 24 Transfer
(Comes with DigiPaint 3), and The Art Department. Imagelink simply translates graphics formats which is not what I need (This is done on the Mac end).  The
Art department will only display the IFF image in Low-res HAM.  Butcher also did not meet the requirements.  Transfer 24(?) did display in high-res HAM, but the colors were not acceptable.  I have yet to try PIXmate.  Can anyone tell me if
there is a program out there which will do what I need, PD or otherwise, and
where I can get it.

Another thing I need to be able to do is have text read in from an ASCII file and horizontally scrolled from right to left along the bottom of the screen as seen on TV.  Please let me know if there are PD or other programs which will do this.  With regard to character generators, please let me know which ones will do the job well.

Thanks in advance.
Marc Thomas

In article <AbCBD3600WB7EDWmBF@andrew.cmu.edu> mt1l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Marc Howard Thomas) writes:
>I am currently attempting to design a multimedia system using the Amiga as a platform.  What I need to be able to do (Among other things) is:
>Take a 24 bit Mac graphics file (PICT or whatever) or an 8 bit IFF/ILBM graphics file and display it in high resolution interlaced HAM mode on the Amiga.
Until now such a mode simply does not exist on the Amiga.

> Transfer 24(?) did display in high-res HAM, but the colors were not acceptable

Interesting! How do they manage it?
Honestly,  HAM can only be displayed in Low Res today. There are other
tricks a) in software, like the Dynamic HiRes of DigiView Gold, or
b) in hardware, like HAM-E or DCTV, but that's all another story.