[comp.sys.amiga] mail order

macdonald@mtwain.dec.com (Paul MacDonald - CUP/ML - 223-3439) (05/06/88)

>In article <975@nuchat.UUCP> phillip@nuchat.UUCP (Phillip Keen) writes:
>>Hello there, has anyone had any experiences with these mail order houses
>> [...]
>>MicroComputer Services (MCS), Go Amigo, Computer Mart, Computer Mail Order,
>>and S&S Wholesalers

Hmm ... always an interesting topic. I generally give a mailorder place
one shot to do it right. Recently I ordered a 2090 controller from a
"wholesaler" in Florida. I called in the order on a Thursday and they promised
delivery (Blue Label) on the following Tuesday. It arrived the following
Thursday (two days late). What really bothered me was the fact that the card
came unprotected in a 2090 box (no bubble wrap or antistatic wrap). The disk
and manual suffered damage from the soldered leads on the bottom of the
circuit borad. The circuit board basically ripped apart the disk label and
the manual in transit. Also, much to my dismay, the board appeared to be
"used merchandise." There was a very clear lock-washer mark etched into the
metal plate at the rear of the board where it screw onto the back of the 2000.
The board works, and the disk media was undamaged - but, it was still pretty
sloppy. Oh, there was even a price tag on the box ($299.00). They charged
me $349.00!!

Now, on a brighter note, GO AMIGO has always been a good mailorder shop. No
problems. Another good shop is the SOFTWARE SHOP (they do hardware too). I've
been using the latter lately with excellent service and no complaints (I
bought my 2000 there along with a couple NEC drives and a Micron memory
board). If its not in stock, they tell you.

Paul

ewing@se-sd.NCR.COM (David Ewing ) (08/05/89)

The July issue of AmigaWorld had a mail order ad from "the Software Shop"
in Massachussetts.  They had the lowest prices I've seen for both the
Microbotics HardFrame ($245) and the Quantum 40Mb,11ms harddrive ($539).

Has anybody out there dealt with "the Software Shop".  Are they to
be trusted ?  Has anybody seen better prices for the above mentioned
hardware ?

Please e-mail to ewing@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com.

Thanks,

Dave Ewing

ez004559@pollux.ucdavis.edu (0040;0000002347;0;250;143;) (08/07/89)

I bought my Amiga from Mibro, another one of those cheapie places like
Montgomery Grant with bargain basement prices. My unit was new, it worked,
and I was happy. But there's always an inherent risk going with places like that.
The shipping is expensive, but it costs as much as it would if you had to pay
taxes in your hometown.

If you're going to buy mail order, I would suggest Go Amigo as being the safest,
although not necessarily the most competent. I bought dpaint III there, and
was charged 10$ for I don't know what... Their prices aren't great, but they're
pretty reliable from what I hear, and they ship fast. Another place that I hear
is pretty good is Computer Direct (I think that's the name...). They're prices
are quite a bit better than Go Amigo's.

If you're willing to risk it, Mibro has the lowest price of any place I know of.
They advertise in Computer Gazette I believe.

Arabs Beware! Mibro (and maybe Montgomeyr Grant as well) are run by Jews. One`
of my friend's friends, who is Palestinian, had lots of problems getting a
computer, and finally had to get a refund.

______________________________________________________          Quantum _\/_
|________________________|____________________________|     \  \___//  /  Quark!
  "Let them eat Spam!"   - Marie Antoinspam                  \________/   QUARK!

oconnordm@CRD.GE.COM (Dennis M. O'Connor) (08/08/89)

]
]| 545 Sycamore Suite 207 |Frank Kuan
]| Davis, Ca 95616        |Quantum Duck Software,
]| 916-757-2925           |ez004559@pollux.ucdavis.edu

Gee, just what the net needs : another bigot.

I suppose you can document you defamatory implication that Mibro
discriminated against your friend because he was Palestinian ?

Naturally, it couldn't have been your friend the Palestinian
who caused the problem. After all, he's your friend.

Naturally, it couldn't have been just plain bad luck or honest
error : it's those JEWS, at it again !

And what's this "maybe Montgomeyr Grant as well" CRAP ??!?! Is your
"reasoning" something like : "They act disreputably, so maybe
they are Jews?" Or are you simply of the "All bad things are caused
by the Jews" school? What contemptable efluvium.

Take your hate-mongering somewhere else, Kuan. I'm surprised a
pea-brained moron like you ever bought an Amiga. Or did you just
get confused when you heard it could run MS-DOS ?

To misquote another poster : "Amiga : the computer for the best
of us, oh and Frank Kuan has one too."
--
 Dennis O'Connor      OCONNORDM@CRD.GE.COM       UUNET!CRD.GE.COM!OCONNORDM
 "Hey, I'm a voter! Aren't you supposed to lie to me and kiss my ass?" --GhB2

ST402248%BROWNVM.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (F. Scott Porter) (08/08/89)

I just finished buying a fastrak controller and Quantum 40S from the software
shop in mass.  I live in Providence, RI so I drove up there to get it.  They
had reasonable service but I wouldn't let them solder anything.  I watched
the salesman try to solder memory chips into a minimegs card and it was
just a disaster.  If you think the prices are cheap then I would go ahead
and buy it from them.  I've had no problems, but don't buy anything that
would be assembled there.

                         --Scott  (Brown doesn't care what I think).

bear@bucsb.UUCP (Blair M. Burtan) (08/08/89)

I've bought software from the Software Shop before
and their prices were marginal. I picked up
Visual Aurals there for $70.  That was probably a
mistake on their part so don't go quoting that
price to them.  I bought the stuff in person
rather than via mail and the sales people seems
a little clueless on what they're actually selling.
Take it with a few molecules of NaCl.

                              - Bear

--
------------------------ Signature Version 0.2 ------------------------------
Disclaimer:

Blair "Bear" Burtan, Boston University's Resident Amiga Expert
which isn't saying much.

bear@bucsb.edu   bear@bucsf.edu   bear@buengf.edu
bear@bu-pub.edu  enge05c@buacca.edu

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (08/09/89)

In article <5066@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> ez004559@pollux.ucdavis.edu (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:
|[...]
|Arabs Beware! Mibro (and maybe Montgomeyr Grant as well) are run by Jews. One`
|of my friend's friends, who is Palestinian, had lots of problems getting a
|computer, and finally had to get a refund.

	This is totally inappropriate in any context.

	You are going to get your ass roasted to a crisp,
	and deservedly so, for this remark.

	Perhaps we ought to start chipping away at your
	ethnic/cultural persuasions, Mr. Kuan?

Grrrrr,
--
   __	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \cc/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) (08/10/89)

I have had good dealings with LightSpeed Distribution.  I have purchased a
Supra 4x4 SCSI interface and a KickStart Eliminator from them.  They were
knowledgable and friendly on the phone.  They didn't charge me until the
product was shipped.  Their shipping charges are reasonable (as opposed to
other companies that lure you in with low prices and then hit you with a
10-20% shipping charge!).  I trust them at this time.

John Lindwall                            johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM
           "Above opinions are my own, not my employer's"
   Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu (08/10/89)

In article <480@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM>, johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) writes:
> I have had good dealings with LightSpeed Distribution.  I have purchased a
> Supra 4x4 SCSI interface and a KickStart Eliminator from them.  They were
> knowledgable and friendly on the phone.  They didn't charge me until the
> product was shipped.  Their shipping charges are reasonable (as opposed to
> other companies that lure you in with low prices and then hit you with a
> 10-20% shipping charge!).  I trust them at this time.

One comes to mind... MCS, a company who advertises in AmigaWurlde, consistently
has lower prices advetised than anyone else. They say "call for shipping info".
They charge 10% shipping on everything at last check, which raises their prices
up to above the levels of everyone elses. There should be a law against
charging for shipping based on the price of the object, since they only pay
based on the weight.

--
James A. Treworgy               "You should have seen me with the poker man,
jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu     I had a honey and I bet a grand,

eg@beta.lanl.gov (Ehud Gavron) (08/22/89)

In article <5066@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, ez004559@pollux.ucdavis.edu (0040;0000002347;0;250;143;) writes:
> I bought my Amiga from Mibro, another one of those cheapie places like
> Montgomery Grant with bargain basement prices. My unit was new, it worked,
> and I was happy. But there's always an inherent risk going with places like that.

	Now look at that.  He's happy with a mail order compaine.  That is
	very nice... but wait, there's more...

> Arabs Beware! Mibro (and maybe Montgomeyr Grant as well) are run by Jews. One`
> of my friend's friends, who is Palestinian, had lots of problems getting a
> computer, and finally had to get a refund.

	$ SET FLAME/ON=INTENSE

	It's jerky attitudes like that that show the rest of us your
	opinion means nothing more than some slandering garbage.  If
	you can't keep your racist attitudes up your rear where the
	rest of your opinions belong, may I kindly suggest you keep
	them out of these postings.

	$ set flame/on=medium

	If you have a legitimate grievance against a company, let's
	hear it; that's what the previous discussion was about.  If not,
	please spare the rest of us.

	$ set flame/off

 / Ehud Gavron, System Manager    |      SPAN:  1029::55295::GAVRON       \
|  Los Alamos National Laboratory |    HEPNET: 43115::55295::GAVRON        |
|  Meson Physics Facility         |    Bitnet: gavron@lampf                |
|  Data Analysis Center           |  Internet: gavron@dac.lanl.gov (VMS)   |
|  MS H828, Los Alamos NM 87544   |            eg@lanl.gov         (unix)  |
|  Yellnet: (505) 665-1131        |      UUCP: cmcl2!lanl!eg               |
|  How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless serpent.   |
 \________________________________________________________________________/

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (08/22/89)

In article <30448@beta.lanl.gov>, eg@beta.lanl.gov (Ehud Gavron) says:

>In article <5066@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, ez004559@pollux.ucdavis.edu (0040;0000002347;0;250;143;) writes:
>> Arabs Beware! Mibro (and maybe Montgomeyr Grant as well) are run by Jews. One`
>> of my friend's friends, who is Palestinian, had lots of problems getting a
>> computer, and finally had to get a refund.
>        $ SET FLAME/ON=INTENSE
>
>        It's jerky attitudes like that that show the rest of us your
>        opinion means nothing more than some slandering garbage.  If

I can see how it is possible to read the guy's comment as bigoted, but I
think you can read it as reasonable, too.  He might be saying

1.  A friend of mine had a lot of trouble.
2.  This friend is identifiably Palestinian (accent, name, address).
3.  Mibro gave him a hard time about being Palestinian.

I bet if he had written, "Jews Beware.  XYZ mail order is run by Arabs, and
they won't sell to you if they know you are Jewish," you wouldn't have set
flame level quite so high.  It would be unfortunate if either Jews or Arabs
are foolish enough to let their allegences interfere with business in this
country, but it could happen.  Your last suggestion was the best.  *IF* this
story is accurate, complain to the FTC, better business bureau, etc.

eg@beta.lanl.gov (Ehud Gavron) (08/23/89)

	   Reading the back pages of comp.sys.amiga, I noticed one
	of the vogue things to do is to relate mail order horror
	stories... well I too have one...

	   On May 9th, 1988 I ordered a 20 meg hard drive from some
	company in Nacogdoches Texas.  I don't remember the name, but
	they do advertise in AmigaWorld.  I payed extra for 1 day air
	shipping.
	   On May 13th (9 + 1 = 13???) I called and was told they were
	temporarily out of stock, but within 3-4 days...
	   On around the 20somethingth, I was told that really I didn't
	want THAT drive, I wanted ANOTHER, which Phoenix was shipping
	to them right away.  I payed extra for Phoenix to use 1 day air,
	and to get that #$%^$ drive.  A week and a half later, when I
	got the drive, it didn't work.
	   They wouldn't do anything but let me send it back to Phoenix.
	No refunds, no exchange, no warranty of merchentability --
	"sorry, we only sell it".  I sent it to Phoenix one day air
	"you send it to use one day air, we send it back one day air."
	A week and a half later, it arrived (ground).
	   Still didn't work.  Contacted Chase Manhattan (my bank card
	company), explained I was charging back, put the whole kit and
	kaboodle in the box and shipped it back to Texas. (Computer
	Mart is the name.)  They attempted to charge a 20% restocking
	fee (signature not filled on little slip).  I backcharged.
	They attempted another 3 restocking fees, all of which I
	backcharged.

 Let the buyer beware...

rtczegledi@crocus.waterloo.edu (Richard Czegledi) (08/23/89)

In article <30530@beta.lanl.gov> eg@beta.lanl.gov (Ehud Gavron) writes:

>	   On May 9th, 1988 I ordered a 20 meg hard drive from some
>	company in Nacogdoches Texas.  I don't remember the name, but
>	they do advertise in AmigaWorld.  I payed extra for 1 day air
>	shipping.
>	   On May 13th (9 + 1 = 13???) I called and was told they were
>	temporarily out of stock, but within 3-4 days...
>	   Still didn't work.  Contacted Chase Manhattan (my bank card
[...a typical story...]
>	company), explained I was charging back, put the whole kit and
>	kaboodle in the box and shipped it back to Texas. (Computer
>	Mart is the name.)  They attempted to charge a 20% restocking
>	fee (signature not filled on little slip).  I backcharged.
>	They attempted another 3 restocking fees, all of which I
>	backcharged.

Ho hum.  That seems to be the norm for mail order.

I usualy stay away from it myself, but thought it would be safe to deal
directly with the company, which in this case was NewTek.  As soon as I
recieved the Amiga Whriled magazine with the interesting ad in back, I
upgraded from my digipaint.

I purchased it via Visa.  I know they got it, because about 3 (three) days
later they were calling to verify the number (probably couldn't read it).
Then they said that the product should arrive at my place at about august 4th.
(that was about a 2 week wait).  Well, thinking that mail order was slow,
I gave them an extra week.

August 11th.  I gave them a buzz.  Then they told me some nonesense about
'back ordered' something or rather which I didn't really buy.
They ASSURED ME it would be here in about one week.  One week came and
went, and I gave them another ring.  This is a basic transcript of the
conversation:

'Hello, Newtek, Can I help you?'
'Hello? Newtek? [then I describe the current situation]'
'Your name?' [I tell here all my name/address stuff'
'I can't find you on my daily list. hold on.'
'Hello, Newtek, Can I help you?'
'[I figure they put me through sombody else that can help. I tell her my problem
again]'
'Your name?' [I tell her]
'Hello, Newtek, Can I help you?' [Go through same ******G procedure again]
'Hello, Newtek, Can I help you?' [AGAIN!  Diferent people every time!]

I almost started loosing a grip on my diplomacy, and I think it showed.
15 minutes of prime time calling from canada to america, while nothing to
break the bank isn't cheap.  Anyway, she 'promised' to check it out.

Her name was natalie.  I'll call later on and see if anything has been done.
If not, then NewTek is blacklisted. (And I have all of their products to boot!)

swarren@eugene.uucp (Steve Warren) (08/23/89)

In article <30530@beta.lanl.gov> eg@beta.lanl.gov (Ehud Gavron) writes:

>	   Reading the back pages of comp.sys.amiga, I noticed one
>	of the vogue things to do is to relate mail order horror
>	stories... well I too have one...
>
>	   On May 9th, 1988 I ordered a 20 meg hard drive from some
>	company in Nacogdoches Texas.  I don't remember the name, but
        [...horror story about bad drive, late deliveries, refusal
            to warranty, back charge war through MasterCard, etc...]

Please, if you want to take up bandwidth with a mailorder story, at
least tell us who it is.  If everything you are saying is true and
you can document it then you have nothing to fear from them.  After
all you went through it seems strange you wouldn't know who they are...

--Steve
	  {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.COM

jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu (08/24/89)

In article <1574@convex.UUCP>, swarren@eugene.uucp (Steve Warren) writes:
> In article <30530@beta.lanl.gov> eg@beta.lanl.gov (Ehud Gavron) writes:
>>

>>	   Reading the back pages of comp.sys.amiga, I noticed one
>>	of the vogue things to do is to relate mail order horror
>>	stories... well I too have one...
>>
>>	   On May 9th, 1988 I ordered a 20 meg hard drive from some
>>	company in Nacogdoches Texas.  I don't remember the name, but
>         [...horror story about bad drive, late deliveries, refusal
>             to warranty, back charge war through MasterCard, etc...]
>
> Please, if you want to take up bandwidth with a mailorder story, at
> least tell us who it is.  If everything you are saying is true and
> you can document it then you have nothing to fear from them.  After
> all you went through it seems strange you wouldn't know who they are...
>
> --Steve
Read the rest of the article. If I remember correctly, he says the name of the
company at the end. (It was Computer Mart or Software Mart, I think).
--
James A. Treworgy

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (08/24/89)

>In article <30530@beta.lanl.gov> eg@beta.lanl.gov (Ehud Gavron) writes:
>>	mail order horror stories...
>>	   On May 9th, 1988 I ordered a 20 meg hard drive from some
>>	company in Nacogdoches Texas.  I don't remember the name...

In article <1574@convex.UUCP> swarren@eugene.UUCP (Steve Warren) writes:
>Please, if you want to take up bandwidth with a mailorder story, at
>least tell us who it is.

	The only Amiga mail-order place in Nagodoches, TX, that I know of
is Computer Mart.  I hope this isn't the store you had trouble with --
I have been buying from Computer Mart for 2 years and I have never had
a single complaint about them.  The service is fine and the salespeople
are very friendly.  I mean *really* friendly.

	Plus, Computer Mart is the *only* mail-order place I've ever seen
that had a price that was cheaper than Abel Supply's.  (Only on *one* item,
mind you -- Dungeon Master -- but this is still a rare occurence!)

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Systems Administrator  --  barrett@cs.jhu.edu (128.220.13.4) |
| Dept. of Computer Science, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD  21218 |
| E-mail addresses:  INTERNET:    barrett@cs.jhu.edu                        |
|                    BITNET:      ins_adjb@jhuvms.bitnet                    |
|                    UUCP:        barrett@jhunix.UUCP   (NOTE NEW ADDRESS!) |
|                    COMPUSERVE:  >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu              |

griffith@frith.msu.edu (Terry Griffith) (11/09/90)

has anyone ordered from computer basics before????? good-bad or indifferent
thamks