[comp.sys.amiga] Digital Speech

ifarqhar@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) writes:

>In article <sutela.656751981@polaris> sutela@polaris.utu.fi (Kari Sutela) writes:
>>I'd say that hardcoding a language into a chip wouldn't be too wise. Please,
>>keep in mind that there are other languages besides english (and a significant
>>portion of Amiga sales comes from non-english-speaking countries).

>Do phonems vary greatly from language to language?

Hey this looks like a perfect place to step in and change the subject :-)

Does any one out there have a list of the english phonemes they could
send me? I think there are something like 42 or so of them. What I would
like is a table that shows the phoneme mnemonics that the Amiga uses and
an example word, like

AE - cApe
AH1 - cAt
I2KS - kiCKS

(these probably aren't even close as examples, they are just of the
top of my head)

Maybe someone from CBM would have this info handy?
Basically what is going on is that I have found this program that somone
wrote that uses his own digitized speech to replace the Amiga voice. It's
a neat idea, but he did a lousy job of digitizing and I think it would be
a nice to try to redigitize the phonemes better (maybe use a sexy female
voice?). But the problem is that the phoneme files are so short that they
don't make much sense when I listen to them separately, so I figure a list
of what they are and an english word example would help me sort it out.
Plus, I could get someone to say the example words, then digitize them
and cut out the phonemes and save them to a file.

Heck maybe if it works out, CBM could include it on the extras disk? Or
we can start the Amiga Voice Replacement Project :-}

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Baird McIntosh) (11/04/90)

In Message-ID: <3444@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) said:
>Hey this looks like a perfect place to step in and change the subject :-)
>
>Does any one out there have a list of the english phonemes they could
>send me? I think there are something like 42 or so of them. What I would
>like is a table that shows the phoneme mnemonics that the Amiga uses and
>an example word, like

In Appendix H of the Amiga Basic Manual that came with my 2000, the info
you seek is discussed in some detail.  Included are instructions and tips
on getting SAY to say it like you mean it.  :-)  Also, there is a table
of phonemes spanning pages A-30 to A-31.

You *do* have an Amiga Basic Manual, don't you?  No Amiga-user should be
without one!  :-)

| Baird McIntosh | c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> c503719@umcvmb.bitnet |
| COOL DRIVING TECHNIQUE #23: Drive without brake lights.                   |
| (Light deactivation method is unimportant; just try to appear oblivious.) |

C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Baird McIntosh) writes:

>You *do* have an Amiga Basic Manual, don't you?  No Amiga-user should be
>without one!  :-)

Actually, Nope. I have an old Amiga 1000 and no longer have the manual

But thanks for everyone who pointed out that I can get a list of the
phonemes in the Amiga Basic Manual. I will have a friend of mine get me a
copy of the list.

I will play around with my digitizer and see about getting a sexy female
voice for my Amiga :-) Now to go find a sexy female to digitize...

"Let's get Digital, Digital" (apologies to Olivia Newton John :-)

If it works out, I will post it to comp.binaries.amiga

--

wschmidt@phobix (Wolfram Schmidt) (11/09/90)

In article <3448@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Baird McIntosh) writes:
[...]
>"Let's get Digital, Digital" (apologies to Olivia Newton John :-)
[...]

Let's get to Digital Equipment and buy DECtalk!       :-)

Wolfram
Wolfram Schmidt
Regardless what some silly news software tries to tell you my email address is:
wschmidt@iao.fhg.de                                          wschmidt@IAO.FhG.de
Wolfram Schmidt   Teckstr. 11   W-7056 Weinstadt   Germany   +49-7151/62408  MET