[comp.sys.amiga] ZIPS vs SIMS

rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) (10/31/90)

What is the advantage of using ZIPS as apposed to SIMS for the
memory in the 3000.  There must be some, because ZIPS cost more, and
Commodores philosophy is not to spend more then they have to.

                                               Rick Blewitt
                                               rblewittt@ucsd.edu

In <13754@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) writes:
>What is the advantage of using ZIPS as apposed to SIMS for the
>memory in the 3000.  There must be some, because ZIPS cost more, and
>Commodores philosophy is not to spend more then they have to.

SIMMs were too tall, and would no fit underneath the drive tray.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:

>In <13754@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) writes:
>>What is the advantage of using ZIPS as apposed to SIMS for the
>>memory in the 3000.  There must be some, because ZIPS cost more, and
>>Commodores philosophy is not to spend more then they have to.

>SIMMs were too tall, and would no fit underneath the drive tray.

Like they couldn't have made the case a 16th of an inch taller or whatever?
Or used the SIMMs that lay back at an angle like: \ \ \ \ \ \ \ ?

Dave Haynie once said that the ZIPs were cheaper, but everywhere I called
the SIMMs were cheaper. (I think he meant they were cheaper for
CBM to purchase).

Oh well, it's too late to whine about it now. So we will just have to
live with it. ZIPs are coming down in price though.

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

In article <13754@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) writes:

>What is the advantage of using ZIPS as apposed to SIMS for the
>memory in the 3000.  There must be some, because ZIPS cost more, and
>Commodores philosophy is not to spend more then they have to.

They don't cost Commodore more.  They may cost you more in small numbers,
simply because they're a low volume item at the local computer store relative
to SIMMs.

The main reasons we used them in the A3000:

	- High density:  They take up 1/2 the space that DIPS occupy.  Stand-up
	  SIMMs are roughly as dense, lean-over SIMMs aren't.

	- Upward compatibility: The 256K x 4 and 1M x 4 pinouts were
	  compatible.  SIMMs can offer upward compatibility too, since pinout
	  changes can be resolved on the SIMM PCB.  DIPs weren't upward
	  compatible, since no one had announced a 0.300" DIP in the 1M x 4
	  density.

	- Height: 1M x 4 ZIPs fit in the space under the Coprocessor slot.
	  DIPs would have too.  SIMMs are too tall, and there was nothing
	  practical would could have done to use them in a machine as tightly
	  packed as the 3000 -- the memory array had to go where it did.

>                                               Rick Blewitt

	Standing on the shoulders of giants leaves me cold	-REM