[comp.sys.amiga] STI

mike_myke_schwartz@cup.portal.com (11/08/90)

It is true that we at Sega do use the Amiga (actually an ethernet
network of several Amigas) to do our Genesis products.  We choose the
Amiga because it is a native 68000 machine which means that good software
development systems for the Amiga work equally as well for the Genesis.  Also,
the Amiga and the Genesis are very similar in terms of graphics display modes
so DPaint makes an excellent graphics tool.  There are also Midi programs
for creating music available for the Amiga.  And unlike a PC, the Amiga
can support large quanties of usable RAM.

To further help in your discussion here, I worked for Electronic Arts last
year and was one of the people who pioneered their Sega research.  SSI is
an affiliated label (EA distributes their software) so they use what EA
gives them.  EA definately uses the Mac to do its development and Sega
Technical Institute uses the Amiga.  Neither one of these machines is a
bad choice for a host system, but the Amiga is MUCH easier to program and
is much cheaper per machine (and has much better performance) so it is the
best price/performance machine for our purposes.

Our ethernet network is oustanding.  We use AmigaNet from RCS systems in
Ontario.  The network software is a true peer-to-peer network and is a
great implementation of a network.  Unlike a Sun network, the Amiga network
is a joy to use.  And every machine on the network can share all the resources
of any other machine on the network (like mount hard drive volumes, RAM disk,
and serial/parallel ports).  We have 7 workstations and a dedicated amiga
as a file server.  We have over a gigabyte of hard disk space available.  And
each Amiga is a 4MB 68030 machine with its own 105MB hard disk.  And each
machine costs 1/2 the price of a similar Mac II.

And yes, we are looking for at least one Amiga programmer to just write
network software and maintain the network.  We are always looking for good
game programmers, especially with Amiga experience because it relates so well
to the Genesis.  Please see the ad in AmigaWorld for more details.

In article <35722@cup.portal.com> mike_myke_schwartz@cup.portal.com writes:

>Our ethernet network is oustanding.  We use AmigaNet from RCS systems in
>Ontario.  The network software is a true peer-to-peer network and is a
>great implementation of a network.  Unlike a Sun network, the Amiga network
>is a joy to use.

Just a footnote here.  The AmigaNet system is marketed by RCS systems, and
now by GVP as well in the USA.  It's based on software and hardware created
by Hydra, Inc. in England.  I played with this a little during the "hush hush"
days of the A3000, when the Hydra board (a DMA driven Ethernet, apparently)
and the A3000 had a disagreement.  The networking software is Amiga specific,
so you can't hook it directly into a Sun or DEC network, but it seems to be
very good for Amiga-only networks.

	Standing on the shoulders of giants leaves me cold	-REM