[comp.sys.amiga] advice needed on amiga software

ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug) (11/07/90)

	I am in need of some good software: A C compiler, a word
processor.

I have on order an A3000/25-50.

Will Lattice C come with the 2.0 includes, or do I have to get a "developers"
edition or something?  With word processors, I am looking at Excelence 2.0,
does anyone use this? Are there any good WYSIWIG wp's that will use productivity
mode?

Also, what printer drivers are popular? (I would like to get a printer that has
lots of support)

Thanks in advance!

--
---------------------------------//-------------------------------------
Doug Dyer  Clemson University   //      "Splunge!"  -  MP

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (11/09/90)

ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug) writes:

> 	I am in need of some good software: A C compiler, a word
> processor.
>
> I have on order an A3000/25-50.
>
> Will Lattice C come with the 2.0 includes, or do I have to get a "developers"
> edition or something?  With word processors, I am looking at Excelence 2.0,
> does anyone use this? Are there any good WYSIWIG wp's that will use productiv
> mode?

SAS/C 5.10 (formerly Lattice) comes with BOTH. If you are using 1.3 OS,
use the 1.3 includes. If you are using the 2.0 OS, you can switch back
and forth as you please.

I dont have excellence! 2.0 so sorry, I can't help you there. I can say.,
from a combination of personal experience, and from what friends have
said is that you are best off with one of excellence!, Pen Pal, or
ProWrite. One neat thing about ProWrite is that the current versions are
guarenteed "BUG FREE!", so that might be a major factor.

The best place to look for supported printers is Extras 1.3:devs/printers
and look at those. You could have few selected, and go through that dir
and see which ones are already supported, and then choose out of the
remaining ones. Of course, you could wait until OS 2.0 is out for the
A500/2x00, (unless you are fortunate enough to have an A3000 :) and
choose a printer out of there.

> Also, what printer drivers are popular? (I would like to get a printer that h
> lots of support)
> --
> Doug Dyer  Clemson University   //      "Splunge!"  -  MP
> ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu    \\ //

Joseph Hillenburg, Secretary, Bloomington Amiga Users Group (BAUG)
joseph@valnet.UUCP                         ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph
"Only Apple could slow down a 68000 chip." -Computer Shopper