[comp.sys.amiga] Commodore Annual Report

	I received the Commodore Annual Report for the year dated
July 1, 1989 through June 30, 1990. I have tried to extract
relevant information that would be of general interest. I'll
start off with non-corporate fiscal information and leave the
more technical stuff till the end.
	First, Mehdi Ali and Irving Gould both got hefty pay
increases since last year. Irving Gould had "Cash Compensation"
of $1,750,000. Mehdi Ali, President of Commodore International
Ltd., received $2,015,949. Everyone else received well under
that, with Harry Copperman receiving $459,142. All 17 executive
officers received $7,370,235, which is more than Commodore's
total profits for the entire year, although admittedly this was a
very lean year.
	As always Irving Gould owns 20% of Commodore stock, or
6,595,338 shares which is worth about 45 million dollars at
present stock values. Although this makes a takeover very very
difficult, it does mean that Irving most definitely does want the
company to do well since every 1/8 the stock moves up makes him a
profit of 800,000 dollars! Mehdi Ali, the member of the board
with the second largest amount of stock, by contrast has only
405,982, or slightly more than 1%.
	Of Commodore's total revenues, 75% came from Europe.
North America, including Canada and the U.S., comes to only 18%.
Australia and the Far East represent 7%.

	Here are a few quotes from the Annual Report:

	Unit sales of the Amiga 500 increased by more than 25%

	Unit sales of our 80286 and 80386 products increased by
almost 100%

	Although sales of the Commodore 64 declined for the year,
we nonetheless sold over 700,000 units.

	Europe remained our strongest geographical market
segment, with sales increasing to over $660 million. During
calendar year 1989, Commodore sold more personal computers in
Europe than any other computer company except IBM. Our past
marketing investments have led to siginificantly increased sales
in many countries, most notably the United Kingdom, France and
Benelux.

	Fiscal 1990 sales of $887 million declined 6% from the
prior year. ... Fourth quarter sales increased 10% compared to
the prior-year period.

	For the professional sector, we plan to extend the
breadth of our product line with the introduction of a new family
of PC compatibles including 80286, 80386 and 80486 computers.
Further, we are entering the rapidly growing laptop market with
the announcement this September of a notebook-style computer.

	In its successful bid to gain the 1996 Summer Olympics,
the City of Atlanta used an Amiga to control an interactive
multimedia tour of the proposed Olympic Village. Air forces are
now using the Amiga in their flight simulators. In television,
TF1, the largest television channel in France, uses Amiga
computers in its production effort, while in Denmark, the Amiga
is employed in a game show that provides interaction with the
viewing audience. Amiga computers are also utilized to drive
animated information displays, at sites as diverse as the
Galleries Lafayette department store in Paris and the 40-foot
animated scoreboard/television screen at Miami Stadium, site of
Super Bowl XXIII.

********During fiscal 1990, over 550,000 Amiga 500 computers were
sold, over 25% more than the prior year.

	The C64 family is the most popular line of home computers
ever manufactured, with an installed base of nearly 11 million
machines and a software library of more than 10,000 published
titles. Although sales declined in fiscal 1990, over 700,000
computers were sold.

	The U.K. has been one of Commodore's most successful
geographic markets over the last few years, as sales have grown
by more than 400% since 1987 from a relatively small base. Now
the U.K. is the company's third largest market worldwide, behind
only Germany and the United States. Commodore holds a major
position in the consumer sector, as sales of the Amiga 500 and
C64 have increased dramatically. ... Sales promotions have been
tied to the release of exciting new software, which is often
packaged and sold with the computer. In the professional sector,
sales are growing from a small base, with increasing PC
compatible sales through the dealer channel, and professional
Amiga sales to government organizations such as the Ministry of
Defence and local police and fire brigades.

	In France, the growing demand for Amiga and PC compatible
computers has helped support a 300% increase in revenues since
1987. In Benelux, sales are up 200% over the same period, led by
growing PC sales to businesses and education. Significant
opportunities are available in several other markets, as well as
in Eastern Europe, where countries will be rebuilding their
economies over the next several years. Our German company will
serve an expanded market in unified Germany, and a network of
distributors is being established to market products through the
remained of Eastern Europe.

CDTV:	Commodore plans to market the player through its
worldwide consumer sales force, and to sell it through upscale
consumer electronics departments and stores for a suggested
retail price of under $1,000.

	In addition to various interactive resource materials, a
variety of instructional programs are planned in sports, cooking,
foreign languages and special programs for children.

	Commodore expects to begin shipping the CDTV during
Fiscal 1991 [i.e. by June 30, 1991].

	The Amiga product line accounted for 53% of net sales
during fiscal 1990 compared with 45% in fiscal 1989 and 41% in
fiscal 1988. Unit sales of Amiga computers increased 26% in
fiscal 1990, primarily attributable to the Amiga 500 and the
introduction of the Amiga 3000 in the fourth quarter of fiscal
1990. Revenues ofed by 11% in fiscal 1990. Unit sales of Amiga
products increased 19% in fiscal 1989 while revenues of the Amiga
product line increased 15%.

	...revenues of the C64 product line decreased 45%

	Geographically, Europe provided 75% of net sales compared
with 69% of net sales in fiscal 1989 and 68% in fiscal 1988. Net
sales in Europe increase 2% as significant increases in the
United Kingdom, France, Italy, Belgium and the Netherlands ofset
declines in Germany and Switzerland. North American sales
declined 27% in fiscal 1990 and contributed 18% of fiscal 1990
net sales compared with 24% in fiscal 1989 and 26% in fiscal
1988. Asia/Australian sales decreased 8% in fiscal 1990 and
accounted for 7% of net sales in fiscal 1990 and 1989 and 6% in
fiscal 1988.

	The dollar value of sales for fiscal 1990 would have been
approximately $8 million lower if prior year exchange rates had
been in effect.

	...Far Eastern countries where a large portion of
components and peripheral products are sourced.

	Research and development expenditures increased 44% to
$28 million in fiscal 1990 primarily as a result of new product
development and expanded software development efforts. In fiscal
1989, research and development expenses increase 25% from fiscal
1988.

	During fiscal 1990, the Company's cash position decreaed
to $78 million compared with $114 million at 30 June 1989. Due to
significantly reduced profitability in 1990, cash used by
operations was $3 million as compared with $46 million provided
by operations in fiscal 1989. In March, 1990 the Company repaid
$13 million of senior and subordinated notes as scheduled.
Capital expenditures were $19 million in fiscal 1990 compared
with $24 million in fiscal 1989. Fiscal 1990 capital improvements
included equpiment to support research and development activities
and production equpiment to upgrade the Hong Kong and
semiconductor manufacturing facilities.

	The Company's financial position remains strong. Working
capital at 30 June 1990 was $318 million, essentially unchanged
from the prior year. Total shareholders' equity increased to $253
million at 30 June 1990 from $240 million in the prior year. The
Company anticipates that its balances of cash and equivalents
together with cash generated from operations and borrowing
capabilities will be sufficient to meet future operating cash
requirements.

	To the Shareholders of Commodore International Limited:

	We have audited the accompanying consolidated balance
sheets of Commodore International Limited (a Bahamian
corporation) and subsidiaries as of 30 June 1990 and 1989, and
the related consolidated statements of operations, shareholders'
equity and cash flows for each of the three years in the period
ended 30 June 1990. These financial statements are the
responsibility of the Company's management. Our responsibility is
to express an opinion on these financial statements based on our
audits.
	We conducted our audits in accordance with generally
accepted auditing standards. Those standards require that we plan
and perform the audit to obtain reasonable assurance about
whether the financial statements are free of material
misstatement. An audit includes examinis, evidence supporting the
amounts and disclosures in the financial statements. An audit
also includes assessing the accounting principles used and
significant estimates made by management, as well as evaluating
the overall financial statement presentation. We believe that our
audits provide a reasonable basis for our opinion.
	In our opinion, the financial statements referred to
above present fairly, in all material respects, the financial
position of Commodore International Limited and subsidiaries as
of 30 June 1990 and 1989, and the results of their operations and
their cash flows for each of the three years in the period ended
30 June 1990, in conformity with generally accepted accounting
principles.

Signed: Arthur Andersen + Co.
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

GorbachevAwards++;
free (SovietUnion);
IndependentRepublics += 15;

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (11/09/90)

Ethan Solomita writes:
>	Of Commodore's total revenues, 75% came from Europe.
>North America, including Canada and the U.S., comes to only 18%.
>Australia and the Far East represent 7%.
>********During fiscal 1990, over 550,000 Amiga 500 computers were
>sold, over 25% more than the prior year.

Ok that's 99,000 new Amiga 500's in the US and Canada (approx)
(550,000 * .18)

Not exactly your banner year. probably about 600,000 Amigas
in the North American market.

--
--Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM

In article <2388@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:

>Ok that's 99,000 new Amiga 500's in the US and Canada (approx)
>(550,000 * .18)
>
>Not exactly your banner year. probably about 600,000 Amigas
>in the North American market.

	No, certainly not a banner year. Without Europe,
Commodore would've gone bankrupt long ago. However, one thing to
consider is that in the US a higher percentage of Amigas sold are
higher end models than in Europe, where the Amiga sells tons of
500s.