[comp.sys.amiga] Monitors

rgr@m10ux.UUCP (Duke Robillard) (12/11/87)

Here's a novice question:

   what's the difference between the two amiga monitors (I think
the numbers are 1080 and 2002)?  The ad I was reading called
one "Hi-res RGB" and the other "RGB analog" (I think).  I'm
particularly interested in them with respect to the 500 (like,
does the 500 output stuff for one but not the other?)
--
  |      Duke Robillard           {ihnp4!}m10ux!rgr                    |
  |      AT&T Bell Labs           m10ux!rgr@ihnp4.UUCP                 |

may@husc7.HARVARD.EDU (may) (02/08/88)

I need a new monitor for my Amiga.  I've heard a couple of comments
recently, concerning the Sony (SPD-1302?) and a couple of the other
monitors that were mentioned in the Byte article.  One thing I'd
like to have in a monitor is that it could double as a color TV.
Does the Sony or any of the others do this?
Also, could someone please explain the meaning of MultiSync and
MultiScan?  I use interlace mode almost exclusively, so I can't
use a monitor that won't display reasonably well interlaced (I
can handle some flicker; the Flicker Fixer will have to wait until
it's a little cheaper).
Recommendations, warnings, etc. would all be welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Jason
may@husc7.harvard.edu		...!harvard!husc7!may

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (02/11/88)

In article <4009@husc6.harvard.edu> may@husc7.UUCP (may) writes:

>Also, could someone please explain the meaning of MultiSync and
>MultiScan?

By Ghod, I think I'm going to make this a form letter:

Don't buy a Multisync or Multiscan monitor for your Amiga unless you
have a real need for one, meaning that you are going to use it on
a different computer, or you have a Flicker-Fixer or equivalent.  A
Multi-whatever monitor costs several hundred dollars more than a
'standard' monitor, and for that several hundred bucks, you get the
capability of operating at different horizontal and vertical sync
rates.  YOU DON'T NEED THIS!  YOU DON'T WANT THIS!  All the video
modes of the Amiga operate at the SAME sync rates - the only thing
that changes is the number of pixels or whether or not you are
interlaced.

Sony makes a wonderful monitor, non-multiscan, for the Amiga.  I
believe its model number is the CDP-1310.  Or, you can get a KV1311CR
from Sony, have a great monitor, and a remote-control TV set to boot.
Use the $200-$300 you save to buy a bunch of games or something else
that will help you a damn sight more than the unusable characteristics
of a Multiscan monitor.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate

mills-cl@cedar.cis.ohio-state.edu (christopher mills) (02/11/88)

/**/

	This has in fact nothing to do with the original question, but...

	My brother called me the other day, because he wants to take the
plunge and buy an Amiga.  He asked me a lot of questions about monitors, which
I didn't anything about (I just got the 1080 that came with it).  So I went
off to the local dealer with a friend to find things out.  What they had
there was the 2002, which I thought looked terrible (compared to the 1080).
The dealer insisted it had something to do with florescent lights -- not true.
The 2002 has trinitron-type pixels and the 1080 has round ones (silly dealer -
he admitted to selling TVs in an earlier life).  I was suprised to find out
that the 1080 isn't made anymore, and that the 1084 (which wasn't there to
look at) is now standard.

	What..?  Oh, yeah, the point...  Well, what I want to know is is the
1084 the same as the 1080 or the 2002 or what?  Which looks better.  Or should
I tell my brother to buy some other monitor.

	I also apologize that you all must be subjected to my new signature:

 _____________________           |     Christopher Mills.
(_)________________   \          |     mills-cl@polaris.cis.ohio-state.edu
  ________________|\   \         |
 (_)______________\_\   \        |     Current thought: Death before dongles.
   ______________________\       |
  (_)____________________|       |     DISCLAMER: I really wish I could blame

larryr@sdsu.UUCP (Larry Riedel) (02/12/88)

In article <673@gethen.UUCP> farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) writes:
>In article <4009@husc6.harvard.edu> may@husc7.UUCP (may) writes:
>>
>>Also, could someone please explain the meaning of MultiSync and
>>MultiScan?
>
>By Ghod, I think I'm going to make this a form letter:
>
>Don't buy a Multisync or Multiscan monitor for your Amiga unless you
>have a real need for one, meaning that you are going to use it on
>a different computer, or you have a Flicker-Fixer or equivalent.

I think hardly anyone has a flickerFixer yet, but I do have a
Mitsubishi Diamond-Scan monitor which looks a lot better than my
1080, did and it cost me $475.  Thats about $200 more than I would have
paid for a 'standard' Amiga monitor, and now I have a state-of-the-art
monitor.  I will probably get the flickerFixer for another
$500, but I suspect that if I wait, I could probably get something
similar much cheaper.  Maybe $700 total for beautiful interlaced screens,
and the ability to hook up to all the latest video cards on other computers
for just $400 more than a 'standard' monitor.

Maybe you should add this to the form letter:
Don't buy a multi-tasking computer unless you have a real need for one,
meaning that you are going to be running a multi-user system.

>Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
>{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate
>        unisoft!gethen!farren | it.  You may want to change your mind someday."
>gethen!farren@lll-winken.llnl.gov ----- Tom Reingold, from alt.flame

Maybe you should follow your own (albeit quoted) advice.

Larry   ...!sdcsvax!sdsu!larryr

bryan@mothra.cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer) (02/13/88)

In article <4009@husc6.harvard.edu> may@husc7.UUCP (may) writes:
=-
=-I need a new monitor for my Amiga.  I've heard a couple of comments
=-recently, concerning the Sony (SPD-1302?) and a couple of the other
=-monitors that were mentioned in the Byte article.  One thing I'd
=-like to have in a monitor is that it could double as a color TV.
=-Does the Sony or any of the others do this?
=-Also, could someone please explain the meaning of MultiSync and
=-MultiScan?  I use interlace mode almost exclusively, so I can't
=-use a monitor that won't display reasonably well interlaced (I
=-can handle some flicker; the Flicker Fixer will have to wait until
=-it's a little cheaper).
=-Recommendations, warnings, etc. would all be welcome.
=-
	Any monitor that has a composite video input can be used as a TV, as
long as you have a composite video source.  Most VCRs provide a composite
output.  Note that this is not the same as a normal RF (regular TV antenna or
cable TV) signal.  Maybe there are such things as RF->composite converters(?)
	The Sony does not have a composite input.  The only two monitors of this
type that do (as far as I know) are the Mitsubishi DiamondScan and the Thompson
Ultrascan.  The Mitsubishi also has some sort of video overlay (composite on
RGB?) capability.  From what I've heard, the Mitsubishi picture quality is also
better than the Thompson.
	MultiSynch, MultiScan, DiamondScan, Ultrasynch, UltraScan, Multivision,
Multimode, etc., etc., all mean the same thing--namely that the monitor
automatically adjusts both its horizontal and vertical scanning frequencies to
the input signal.  The demand for these grew out of the hodgepodge of
different graphics cards (sorry, but the term 'adapter' makes me laugh) for
the IBM PC and clones.  The reason for all these funny names, I think, is that
no one has yet invented a generic term for this device.  People go into stores
and say, "do you sell any, uh, you know--those things like the NEC Multisynch,
only not the NEC...?"  Since I just finished shopping for one, and I was
determined not to sound like an idiot, I have coined the term 'multifrequency.'
	If I were Mr. Sony, I would be very upset that BYTE used 'Multiscan'
as a generic term on their cover this month.  I'm surprised that NEC and Sony
didn't come up with a generic term long ago to protect their trademarks--you
know, like Kleenex is 'Kleenex -->*B R A N D*<-- facial tissue' in all their
commercials. :-)
	Anyway...uh, what was the question?  Have I gotten off the subject?  Oh
yeah--interlace.  Well, the only problems I've heard about with multifreqency
monitors and interlace have been with the old NEC MultiSynch.  My Sony has not
arrived yet, so I can't give any first hand reports.  I bought a MF (get your
mind out of the gutter! :-)) monitor specifically to use with a flickerFixer.
/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|
_No dark sarcasm in the classroom|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|___
|____Teachers leave the kids alone__|_____|_____|bryan@mothra.cs.utexas.edu___|
___|_____|_____|_____|___{ihnp4,seismo,...}!ut-sally!mothra.cs.utexas.edu!bryan
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|

nsw@cord.UUCP (N Weinstock) (02/16/88)

In article <10356@ut-sally.UUCP> bryan@mothra.cs.utexas.edu writes:
>In article <4009@husc6.harvard.edu> may@husc7.UUCP (may) writes:
>=-
>=-I need a new monitor for my Amiga.  I've heard a couple of comments
>=-recently, concerning the Sony (SPD-1302?) and a couple of the other
>=-monitors that were mentioned in the Byte article.  One thing I'd
>=-like to have in a monitor is that it could double as a color TV.
>=-Does the Sony or any of the others do this?
>=-
>	Any monitor that has a composite video input can be used as a TV, as
>long as you have a composite video source.  Most VCRs provide a composite
>output.  Note that this is not the same as a normal RF (regular TV antenna or
>cable TV) signal.  Maybe there are such things as RF->composite converters(?)
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wouldn't such a device simply be a TV tuner?  DAK used to advertise a tuner
box which was expressly intended to allow you to use your composite monitor
as a TV.  But now, in the days of component TV, wouldn't it be possible to buy
a component tuner (no idea how much these cost) and plug it into your monitor?
I haven't looked into this, but it seems feasible.  Anyone know what kind of
output component tuners produce?  Whatever it is, it must be compatible with
at least *one* of the multitude of input options on the new "multifrequency"
(thanks, Bryan) monitors.

Comments, anyone?

      /\
 /+---|/--------------------------------------+----------------------+
 )|---+-- 5 - Neil Weinstock -----------------|- ...!codas!cord!nsw -|
< |--/|------ AT&T Bell Labs, Liberty Corner -|--------- or ---------|
 )|-|-T\- 4 - DISCLAIMER: blah blah, etc. ----|-- nsw@cord.att.com --|
 \+-`-+'--------------------------------------+----------------------+
      /

bryan@mothra.cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer) (02/16/88)

In article <535@cord.UUCP> nsw@cord.UUCP (59455-N Weinstock) writes:
=-In article <10356@ut-sally.UUCP> bryan@mothra.cs.utexas.edu (ME) writes:
=->	Any monitor that has a composite video input can be used as a TV, as
=->long as you have a composite video source.  Most VCRs provide a composite
=->output.  Note that this is not the same as a normal RF (regular TV antenna or
=->cable TV) signal.  Maybe there are such things as RF->composite converters(?)
=-                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
=-Wouldn't such a device simply be a TV tuner?  DAK used to advertise a tuner
=-box which was expressly intended to allow you to use your composite monitor
=-as a TV.  But now, in the days of component TV, wouldn't it be possible to buy
=-a component tuner (no idea how much these cost) and plug it into your monitor?

	Yup, component tuners will work.  I was thinking of something less
expensive, though, i.e. something that would only convert channel 3, for
instance--for those who already have some sort of tuner (like a CATV box).

=-I haven't looked into this, but it seems feasible.  Anyone know what kind of
=-output component tuners produce?  Whatever it is, it must be compatible with
=-at least *one* of the multitude of input options on the new "multifrequency"
=-(thanks, Bryan) monitors.
							       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	Yay!  It's catching on!! 8-}   ------------------------------|
/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (02/20/88)

In article <2919@sdsu.UUCP> larryr@sdsu.UCSD.EDU (Larry Riedel) writes:
>I think hardly anyone has a flickerFixer yet, but I do have a
>Mitsubishi Diamond-Scan monitor which looks a lot better than my
>1080 did and it cost me $475.  Thats about $200 more than I would have
>paid for a 'standard' Amiga monitor, and now I have a state-of-the-art
>monitor.  I will probably get the flickerFixer for another $500

You, by your own admission, are going to eventually use the extra
functionality of a multi-sync monitor.  You therefore do NOT fall
into the category of users I was talking about, and your points
do not apply.  To reiterate:  paying extra for features you cannot
use is dumb.  You paid an extra $200 because you figure that you
might use the multi-sync capability.  Someone who is never going
to use it should spend the $200 on something they CAN use.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate
        unisoft!gethen!farren | it.  You may want to change your mind someday."
gethen!farren@lll-winken.llnl.gov ----- Tom Reingold, from alt.flame

yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Yuan 'Hacker' Chang) (03/30/89)

	Hi.  Anyone have experience with the Princeton UltraSync on the Amiga?
I'm thinking about getting either the UltraSync, or the MS IIA.  Does the
MultiSync IIA work with Amiga?  I know that the IIA lacks components to
handle TTL signal (and therefore not compatible with CGA), but does it work
on the Amiga (i.e. does it scan down to 15.75kHz?).  Thanks in advance for
your opinion.
--
Yuan Chang 				      "What can go wrong, did"
UUCP:      {uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!yuan

a309@mindlink.UUCP (George Lin) (03/31/89)

I did use the Princeton UltraSync on the amiga for a few months.  It is a very
good monitor; the best feature (compared to other multisyncs) is that in
non-interlaced (cga) mode, the pixels are very square and nearly
overlap one another (filing in the little black lines) when adjusted
properly.  (Note:  I said, almost overlap).

n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) (10/10/90)

I have a Mistubishi Diamond scan, and for who ever cares, NO it doesn't fill
the screen! Borders! ich!

Anyhow, my question is: When I am in interlaced mode, the top scan line flickersfor about half the distance from left to right. Any ideas??

-Duane

usenet@helios.TAMU.EDU (Usenet Account) (11/09/90)

goofy? Example, when I load a standard size (320*400, or whatever, not
over-scanned or anything) I have to adjust the screen all around to center
it, this leaves about a 3/4 inch or more border. In workbench, this kind of
centering is again astray, as I cannot adjust the workbench image to cover
the borders. It is as if their is a physical barrier that the monitor can't
display past, a virtual screen if you will, with the 14 inch monitor being
a window to that virtual screen; it appears that the computer is crammed
into a corner of that virtual screen and cannot be centered accordingly.

I realize I am rambling and making no sence, but if you can figure what the
h*ll I am talking about, please explain it to me....

Duane
From: n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields)

usenet@helios.TAMU.EDU (Usenet Account) (11/09/90)

I was explaining that I have a mistsubishi diamondscan and that it was
acting weird...

Duane
From: n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields)