[comp.sys.amiga] 64 printer

sn15+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steve Neas) (11/08/90)

From my Commodore 64 years, it was always worrying about getting
an interface to connect standard printers to it.
And I was lucky enough to have a Commodore-ready printer, to
daisy-chain off the disk drive.
But now that I'm getting an Amiga, is it possible to connect an old
Commodore-ready printer to it.  From what I know, it shouldn't be too
difficult, but does anyone know of any interfaces made for this
connection?

Thanks,
/--------------------/------------------------------------
-= Steve Neas =-     /  Beware of the evil pierogies,
sn15@andrew.cmu.edu  /  They will never let you be free.
--------------------- ------------------------------------
      The buffalo may die, but the fig lives on!!
---------------------------------------------------------/

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (11/09/90)

sn15+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steve Neas) writes:

> From my Commodore 64 years, it was always worrying about getting
> an interface to connect standard printers to it.
> And I was lucky enough to have a Commodore-ready printer, to
> daisy-chain off the disk drive.
> But now that I'm getting an Amiga, is it possible to connect an old
> Commodore-ready printer to it.  From what I know, it shouldn't be too
> difficult, but does anyone know of any interfaces made for this
> connection?

One thing, and this is VERY important, is that the printer have a
parallel port connection. (DB-25, I think). Also, if it doesn't, you
could always go out and get a device called 'Access-64' which allows you
to use C-64 peripherals. I'd say that it's only hgood for the printer
part, as C-64 modems/disk drives suck big time.

> Thanks,
> /--------------------/------------------------------------
> -= Steve Neas =-     /  Beware of the evil pierogies,
> sn15@andrew.cmu.edu  /  They will never let you be free.
> --------------------- ------------------------------------
>       The buffalo may die, but the fig lives on!!
> ---------------------------------------------------------/

Joseph Hillenburg, Secretary, Bloomington Amiga Users Group (BAUG)
joseph@valnet.UUCP                         ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph
"Only Apple could slow down a 68000 chip." -Computer Shopper

farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) (11/09/90)

sn15+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steve Neas) writes:
>But now that I'm getting an Amiga, is it possible to connect an old
>Commodore-ready printer to it.

You really don't want to do this.  First, the speed on the old 64 serial
bus was pitiful.  Second, there wasn't a Commodore printer made that
was particularly good.  Third, all of the Commodore specific printers
were designed to print the weird C64 character set, not standard ASCII.

Bite the bullet and buy a new printer.  They're getting real cheap (I got
my Panasonic KXP1124, an EXCELLENT printer, for $259 on sale), and much,
much better than the older ones.
--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us