[comp.sys.amiga] RF Modulator for A1000

jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) (11/06/90)

[I tried to E-Mail this, but it bounced...]

Fred Clauss <fredc@umriscc.tmc.edu> writes:

> I am trying to set up my A1000 as a semi-mobile machine, and would like
> to have the ability to connect to a TV.  Does anyone know where I can
> get one of those RF Modulator attachments for my Amy?  From what I can
> figure, this attaches inside the box somehow, which I find quite
> preferable to an external RF Modulator.

The RF modulator for the A1000 is an external device that plugs into the
8-pin DIN connector on the back of the A1000.  I'd imagine that these
are hard to find these days.  An alternative would be to get one of the
A520 modulators and use it.  It plugs into the DB-23 Video connector and
provides either RF (channel 3 or 4) output, or NTSC composite video.
I've used one on my A2000 for generating video titles and am well
satisfied with it.

   --- Cal
           ____
 HOBBIT   / / /  340 Meg Online
  HOLE   / / /  12/24/9600HST bps                   AMIGA:
  ____  / / /  Exclusively   Amiga
  \ \ \/ / /  "Best Amiga BBS in FL"    The computer for the BEST of us!
   \ \ \/ /  July, 1989 Final List(tm)
    \_\_\/  A comfortable place to meet
 --------------------------------------
 Cal Jones, Sysop.  904-243-6219  24Hrs

perley@galaxy (Donald P Perley) (11/07/90)

In article <35487@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, jones@uv4 (Calvin Jones, III) writes:

>The RF modulator for the A1000 is an external device that plugs into the
>8-pin DIN connector on the back of the A1000.  I'd imagine that these
>are hard to find these days.  An alternative would be to get one of the
>A520 modulators and use it.  It plugs into the DB-23 Video connector and
>provides either RF (channel 3 or 4) output, or NTSC composite video.

There is one big difference.  An RF modulator that starts with a color
composite signal runs $3-10.  The models I have seen that take RGB and
output an RF color signal run about $50.

-don perley
perley@trub.crd.ge.com

vincelee@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Vincent H. Lee) (11/07/90)

In article <35487@nigel.ee.udel.edu> jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) writes:
>[I tried to E-Mail this, but it bounced...]
>
>Fred Clauss <fredc@umriscc.tmc.edu> writes:
>

>The RF modulator for the A1000 is an external device that plugs into the
>8-pin DIN connector on the back of the A1000.  I'd imagine that these
>are hard to find these days.  An alternative would be to get one of the
>A520 modulators and use it.  It plugs into the DB-23 Video connector and
>provides either RF (channel 3 or 4) output, or NTSC composite video.
>I've used one on my A2000 for generating video titles and am well
>satisfied with it.

Actually, I bought one of the C= original rf modulators from Jameco
for something like $3.95 about 3 mo ago (at least I think it was
Jameco... I'll check)

Also, you can get an rf modulator from Radio Shack built by TI for $4.95.
All you need to do is add the correct din connector (I've done this too).

Both work great.

-Vince
.

jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) (11/07/90)

Donald P Perley <perley@galaxy> writes:

> There is one big difference.  An RF modulator that starts with a color
> composite signal runs $3-10.  The models I have seen that take RGB and
> output an RF color signal run about $50.

The idea is to find someone that bought one of the A500 package deals
that included the A520 and are using the A500 with an RGB monitor.  They
can likely be talked into selling the A520 for a reasonable price. (At
least I got mine that way.)

   --- Cal

bpv9073@sjfc.UUCP (Brett VanSprewenburg) (11/09/90)

In article <13450@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> perley@galaxy (Donald P Perley) writes:
>In article <35487@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, jones@uv4 (Calvin Jones, III) writes:
>>
>>The RF modulator for the A1000 is an external device that plugs into the
>>8-pin DIN connector on the back of the A1000.  I'd imagine that these
>>are hard to find these days.  An alternative would be to get one of the
>>A520 modulators and use it.  It plugs into the DB-23 Video connector and
>>provides either RF (channel 3 or 4) output, or NTSC composite video.

When I was at the Amiga Users Fair in Penn. a couple of months ago,
there was a whole crate load of RF modulators available for about $3 each.

They were for the A1000 and they were being sold by Comp-U-Save, you
know, the infamous Dr. Oxide...

They can be reached (as far as I know) at 1-800-356-9997.
The address is:
                410 Maple Ave.
                Westbury, NY 11590.

I'm not affialited with them in any way and I can't guarentee that price,
it may have been a 'show only' type deal. But I'm sure they've still
got 'em because they were selling like cold, dead, weasels at the show.
(not too well.)

==Brett

Quote: "If you can't enjoy yourself...enjoy someone else."

UUCP address: bpv9073@uunet.uu.net OR bpv9073@cci.com

glin@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (George Lin [900116]) (11/10/90)

In article <35487@nigel.ee.udel.edu> jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) writes:
>> I am trying to set up my A1000 as a semi-mobile machine, and would like
>> to have the ability to connect to a TV.  Does anyone know where I can
>> get one of those RF Modulator attachments for my Amy?  From what I can
>
>The RF modulator for the A1000 is an external device that plugs into the
>8-pin DIN connector on the back of the A1000.  I'd imagine that these
>are hard to find these days.  An alternative would be to get one of the

OR, you can get an Atari 2600 or C-64 Video-Computer switch box
(about $4 or $5 from Radio Shack) and hook it up to the RCA video jack
output!  If you have a VCR, just run a video cable from the A1000 to the VCR.

GLin