From: Joyce Brennan <jbrennan@daisy>
To: giguere@csg
Subject: Thanks for the update

Thanks for the feedback.  No, I do not have the opportunity to monitor
these groups, but I certainly have heard back from a lot of angry
Amiga users.

My mistake.  I had no idea that my response was going to be re-posted
to a newsgroup, and I obviously should have checked with the
programmer responsible for this port before responding.

In the meantime I have learned that Maple V for the Amiga will in fact
support the 68881 math coprocessor.  My apologies for the incorrect
response.

I would really appreciate if you would arrange to post this
correction.

Thanks for your assistance, and once again my humble apologies.

               Joyce Brennan, Distribution Manager
    |\^/|      Waterloo Maple Software
.._|\|   |/|_.  160 Columbia St. West
 \  MAPLE  /   Waterloo, Ontario
 <____ ____>   CANADA  N2L 3L3
      |        Tel:  (519) 747-2373		wmsi@daisy.waterloo.edu
               Fax:  (519) 747-5284 		wmsi@daisy.uwaterloo.ca

-------
We have a programmer who is currently working on porting Maple V, our
newest software release, to the Amiga.  This version of Maple features
3-D graphics and several other user interface enhancements.  Maple V
is expected to be released on the Amiga platform in the first quarter
of 1991.

Here is the latest report from our technical department:

The kernel of Maple is finished.  The projected user interface would
be very similar to the X Maple. In fact, our idea is to copy the X
Maple features into the Amiga machine. This will be finalized
once I receive and read through all the manuals.

Maple V for the Amiga will also support the 68881 math coprocessor.
For the graphics part, we will have both POSTSCRIPT and the IFF format.

This is Eric again... hope that clears up the confusion.  I hope that nobody
threatened the folks at Maple in those "angry letters"!

--
Eric Giguere                                       giguere@csg.UWaterloo.CA
           Quoth the raven: "Eat my shorts!" --- Poe & Groening

In article <1990Nov8.214217.21840@maytag.waterloo.edu> giguere@csg.UWaterloo.CA (Eric Giguere) writes:
>Here is the latest report from our technical department:
>
>The kernel of Maple is finished.  The projected user interface would
>be very similar to the X Maple. In fact, our idea is to copy the X
>Maple features into the Amiga machine. This will be finalized
>once I receive and read through all the manuals.
>
>Maple V for the Amiga will also support the 68881 math coprocessor.
>For the graphics part, we will have both POSTSCRIPT and the IFF format.

	Can you forward them this question: will MAPLE use 2.0
specific features, namely gadtools.library and the standard file
requester?
	This also leads to a Commodore question: would it be
possible for developers who license the operating system to
provide gadtools.library and asl.library on disk format to 1.3
owners. This would provide 2.0 compatibility to people
automatically, making developers more likely to utilize the
features of the operating system. I am afraid that developers
will see 1.5 million A500s and .5 million other machines, only
some of which have 2.0, and decide not to support 2.0
enhancements. This would be an easy way around that, to an
extent.

> >This is Eric again... hope that clears up the confusion.  I
hope that nobody >threatened the folks at Maple in those "angry
letters"!  > >-- >Eric Giguere giguere@csg.UWaterloo.CA > Quoth
the raven: "Eat my shorts!" --- Poe & Groening

	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

GorbachevAwards++;
free (SovietUnion);
IndependentRepublics += 15;

giguere@csg.uwaterloo.ca (Eric Giguere) (11/09/90)

In article <1990Nov9.010314.24341@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>	Can you forward them this question: will MAPLE use 2.0
>specific features, namely gadtools.library and the standard file
>requester?

Well, the guy who has been working on this has no Amiga experience, to tell
you the truth.  They sent him up to my office to get pointers on what manuals
to get, etc.  Basically I told him that they should aim for 2.0 support.  Any
less and they'll be spending too much time developing the basic gadgets,
especially if none of them know the Amiga.  2.0 is the way to go, and Maple
will provide you with one more reason to upgrade your machine....

Note:  like I said, this is what I suggested.  What they will actually do is
up to them... the only affiliation I have with the Maple folks is that we're
researchers in the same university.

--
Eric Giguere                                       giguere@csg.UWaterloo.CA
           Quoth the raven: "Eat my shorts!" --- Poe & Groening

mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) (11/10/90)

	Sorry for asking..... but what exactly is Maple?????  I can see
	that it will be more expensive than a game, and less expensive
	than an A3000....  it will be fast, ans it will make 3-D pictures,
	but I can't tell any more than that from these messages....

	Thanks!

	-Mike-