[comp.sys.amiga] PP 68040 card

perley@galaxy (Donald P Perley) (11/08/90)

In article <13967@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, cleland@sdbio2 (Thomas Cleland) writes:

>Progressive Peripherals' 68040DC card for the Amiga 3000 lists
>in the $1200 range

>includes circuitry for real time peripheral-storage data
>compression, transparent to the user and without slowdown.
>Floppies, hard disks, Syquests, optical disks, whatever--all are
>compressed to store 3 to 10 times their stated capacity.  This
>can of course be turned off

I have used computers with hardware compression for disk files
(Wang VS). It helps a lot.  BUT.. if they can do random seeks on the
compressed files without slowdown, it will be a neat trick.

-don perley
perley@trub.crd.ge.com

cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) (11/10/90)

>I have used computers with hardware compression for disk files
>(Wang VS). It helps a lot.  BUT.. if they can do random seeks on the
>compressed files without slowdown, it will be a neat trick.

(referring to Progressive P&S's 68040DC card for the A3000)
That was a puzzler for me too, but the PPS man was firm in his
resolve.  My best guess is that the speed of reading off the
disk is enhanced to a greater extent than the seek speed through
an enlarged directory is slowed.