[comp.sys.amiga] JR-Comm

tjhayko@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA (08/22/90)

What exactly happens when you register JR-Comm?  Does Jack Radigan send you a
patch that removes those awful delay screens or a clean version of JR-Comm.

PS. A couple of features I'd like to see in JR-Comm 1.0+ are:
                complete vt100 emulation (something is wrong with what's there
                                          now, it crashes with EVE)
                Either a builtin script language or ARexx support
                More protocols.  I know JR-Comm already has more that most
                        (maybe even all) terms for the Amiga, but I'd like to
                        see how the new Hyper protocol works.

Thanks for writing an excellent term Jack, I'm registering today.

* Tom Hayko                    * only the Amiga      /// *
* tjhayko@thunder.lakeheadu.ca * (if only Commodore ///  *
*                              *   knew that)   \\\///   *
*                              *                 \XX/    *

QUIT

dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com (Dennis Francis Heffernan) (08/24/90)

	It's very frustrating to have software that's 99% perfect...and have
that last 1% make it almost unusable.

	I finally got around to playing with my registered copy of JR-Comm.
For the most part, I like it...BUT:

	a) the VT-100 seems to be brain dead.  It acts funny from time to time.
I know that's not helpful...  One thing it does consistantly is fail to reset
the text color to normal after receiving highlighted text.  Definitely UnGood,
as I do almost all my telecommunicating with VT-100.  [In all fairness,
switching to ANSI seems to be working out OK.]

	b) the review buffer doesn't exist, according to Snap.  This is enough
to put me off the program- the Unix site I call doesn't use rn or anything
similar; it uses AKCS, which doesn't do quoting (unless you use their abysmal
editor, and I refuse.  How bad is it?  I'm using VI at the moment...)  I've
been using VLT and have grown accustomed to snapping text from its buffer for
quoting.  I gave up on ATalk3 when (among other things) I realized you couldn't
open its buffer without bringing everything else to a stop.  I was happy to
see the split review option in JR-Comm...but if I can't snap from it, it don't
do me no good.

	Any chance of these things being addressed in a forthcoming version?

Dennis Francis Heffernan	|  "Remember the words of your teacher,
dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com	|   your master: Evil moves fast, but
...uunet!tronsbox!dfrancis	|   Good moves faster!"
Original text (c) 1990  	|   --Partners in Kryme, T-U-R-T-L-E Power!

Acker Hum <S6SR@unb.ca> (08/24/90)

>         a) the VT-100 seems to be brain dead.  It acts funny from time to time
> I know that's not helpful...  One thing it does consistantly is fail to reset
> the text color to normal after receiving highlighted text.  Definitely UnGood,
> as I do almost all my telecommunicating with VT-100.  [In all fairness,
> switching to ANSI seems to be working out OK.]

Try using an 8 colour custom screen. This should fix that problem. It
does act funny though when using VT100 emulation and switching from
the default 4 color screen to 8. It sometimes won't show the extra 4
within the phone book.

A0NJ@UNB.CA.BITNET

olson@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Olson) (08/24/90)

In article <26d4687e-28c7comp.sys.amiga@tronsbox.xei.com> dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com (Dennis Francis Heffernan) writes:

>	b) the review buffer doesn't exist, according to Snap.  This is enough

	This works fine for me now, I am using JR-Comm 1.0 registered version,
and snap fine on my 2500.

--
                       olson@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu
"Take your work seriously, but never take yourself seriously and do not take

jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) (08/25/90)

dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com (Dennis Francis Heffernan) writes:

>	a) the VT-100 seems to be brain dead.  It acts funny from time to time.
>I know that's not helpful...  One thing it does consistantly is fail to reset
>the text color to normal after receiving highlighted text.  Definitely UnGood,
>as I do almost all my telecommunicating with VT-100.  [In all fairness,
>switching to ANSI seems to be working out OK.]

I've fixed whatever's been reported to me for 1.01, hope they cover what you've
experienced.  What that is, I don't know...  [hint hint].

>	b) the review buffer doesn't exist, according to Snap.  This is enough
>to put me off the program- the Unix site I call doesn't use rn or anything

Just tried it here, works fine with the review buffer.  You *did* make sure
to do your first "snap" on a non-space character, right?  Snap gets totally
confused otherwise, for good with that window.

  -jack-

S6SR@unb.ca (Acker Hum) writes:

>Try using an 8 colour custom screen. This should fix that problem. It
>does act funny though when using VT100 emulation and switching from
>the default 4 color screen to 8. It sometimes won't show the extra 4
>within the phone book.

The default screen depth for VT100 mode is 8 colors, that's how the blinking
attribute is created.

  -jack-

niobium@nevada.edu (Christopher W. Carlson) (11/09/90)

In article <16485@netcom.UUCP> mcmahan@netcom.UUCP (Dave Mc Mahan) writes:
>					    I use JR-Comm for the amiga (nice
>job on the software, Mr. Radigan!) and a Sun-4 host.

Ah-ha!  How's THAT for a trimming job?

Anyway, um, where can I get JR-Comm through FTP, preferably?  I'm interested
in paying the registration fee, but would like to see it work before just
writing a check off to Mr. Radigan.  Anybody have any information?

Thanks.

-=* CWC

--
 __   _          _  _____  _    ___       __  |  Christopher W. Carlson | _ //
/ __ / \  |     / \   |   / \  |__  /  \ (__  |    niobium@nevada.edu   | \X/

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (11/11/90)

OK. JR-Comm can be found at mars.ee.msstate.edu In /files/Amiga,Comm.
This is one of the larger FTP sites. A few friends and I have built this
site up quite a bit lately. It has about 30 megs of Amiga software in
several directories. BTW., that was files/Amiga.Comm (Not Amiga,Comm).

BTW, you are a wizard on the MUCK Brigadoon?

Joseph Hillenburg, Secretary, Bloomington Amiga Users Group (BAUG)
joseph@valnet.UUCP                         ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph
"Only Apple could slow down a 68000 chip." -Computer Shopper