[comp.sys.amiga] GVP

macdonald@mtwain.dec.com (Paul MacDonald - CUP/ML - 223-3439) (02/07/89)

Here are a couple problems for ya:

I installed a new GVP 40QS hardcard the other day. GVP has a "click and go"
installation process that makes life so much easier. Everything worked fine
including my restoration of files with Quarterback. I noticed that GVP
assigned DH0: to the hardcard, even though it's a SCSI device.

When I tried to reprep my 40 Mbyte ST-506's first partition as DH1:
(assuming that if DH0: was allocated to the GVP, then DH1: was the only
device assignment available for the first partition of the ST-506), the
Amiga looked at it as DH0:. As a matter of fact, when I did an INFO
command, it showed two DH0:. Of course the GVP could not be accessed,
since the ST-506 DH0: received precedence. I checked the mountlist and
everything was it should be.

Can anyone comment on this? I would like to be able to use the A2090 and
ST-506 along with the GVP SCSI.

Paul

wizard@sosaria.UUCP (Chris Brand) (08/14/89)

In message <62835@linus.UUCP> Rich Champeaux wrote:

>good things about it, and since they were advertising it with the Quantum as
>being fast,  I figured what the hell, it's got to at least be faster than my
>Supra I have on my 1000.  Wrong!!!  The drive I was using with the GVP is a
>ST296N 80Meg 28ms.  The Supra was using a Miniscribe 8425S 20Meg 65ms.
>The Supra was giving me ~140k reads and writes, but the GVP gave me only
>123k reads and 95k writes, and it had a drive that was twice as fast.  Now,
>Amiga World and other people were reporting speeds around 240k, but I couldn't

Voil`! This is what I meant. See, if a controller is so famed for speed,
it should really give you more than just 123K reads, and if a controller
comes to only 240 K with a Quantum drive, it's NOTHING.
Now, before you write more ugly flames concerning this matter, I'd like
you to know that I have no intention to make GVP look bad. I'm
very impressed by what the company is doing for the Amiga, and I certainly
wished there were more like GVP. I'm also NOT payed by Commodore (:-) for
supporting the 2090A. But I'm in with computers for more than seven years
now, and even if this is not a lot I went through much. The final
experience I made concerning upgrading hardware is that the best you can
do is to buy all hardware from the same developer.
One example is the GVP Hardcard, which was heavily recommended and now
it turns out that there are problems with certain software and hardware
that will not work properly. With the 2090A, I haven't discovered ANYTHING
until now that gave problems, and I use a lot of software (no, NOT black
copies).
Or hear this one: We planned to buy the Sharp Color Scanner with the
ASDG Scanlab ever sine we saw it at the CeBit in Germany. Now that it
is finally available, we were horrified to hear from one of the
biggest swiss Amiga dealers that it worked ONLY with Amigas equipped with
the A2620. No one seems to know why. Unfortunately, we have a
Hurricane Board and now we have to try to sell it and buy a 2620, since
we need the scanner now and not in half a year, when the problem is
solved. (By the way, does anybody know more about this? How about
you, Mr. Kivolowitz?)
What I want to say is that if you buy only Commodore stuff, you're
quite safe against unpleasant surprises. I said QUITE safe, not
COMPLETELY.
The problems start with 3rd party products. Unfortunately, many people
are far from keeping to the recommendations Commodore gives out concerning
development of hard- and software. So it is quite clear that sooner or
later, you'll get problem if you combine products from differents
developers.

>I decided to chalk it up to experience, went with my first instinct and bought
>a HardFrame.  With the same ST296N, I'm now getting 655k reads and 290k writes.
>The HardFrame is even cheaper.

Yeah. That's what I call speed. Now imagine what he would get if he
connected a 11ms Quantum drive to that HardFrame.....

Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.ccs.imp.com
"Justice is the possession and doing
of what one is entitled to"  -  Platon

Confirming Chris Brand's comments about the Quantum drive:

the Quantum ProDrive 80S with FFS using Supra's Series-II software operated
with the Supra 4x4 host adapter on an A1000 is getting 655Kbytes/sec reads
and 262Kbytes/sec writes with the "original" DiskPerfA program.

Not too shabby for a non-DMA interface.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR)  ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (08/19/89)

In article <21380@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>Confirming Chris Brand's comments about the Quantum drive:
>
>the Quantum ProDrive 80S with FFS using Supra's Series-II software operated
>with the Supra 4x4 host adapter on an A1000 is getting 655Kbytes/sec reads
>and 262Kbytes/sec writes with the "original" DiskPerfA program.

YOW!  What version of the Supra software are you using and have you diddled
MAXTRANSFER or anything like that?  I've a Quantum 40 megger using 1.06b
Series II software and am only getting a little over 300K reads.  No mem
in the Supra but I do have a Starboard II hanging out there with the
controller.

--
Tony Sumrall acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com <=> amdahl!pccuts!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]

Re:

Tony Sumrall writes:

"	YOW!  What version of the Supra software are you using and have you
	diddled MAXTRANSFER or anything like that?  I've a Quantum 40 megger
	using 1.06b Series II software and am only getting a little over 300K
	reads.  No mem in the Supra but I do have a Starboard II hanging out
	there with the controller.
"

Uhhh, as Art Walker just reminded me, I neglected to mention I also have the
Ronin Hurricane card in the system.  Just to clear the air, my lab system
configuration is:

	A1000 with 512KB "chip" RAM
	Ronin Hurricane 68020 @ 14.32 MHz
	Ronin Hurricane RAM, 4MB
	Comspec AX2000 RAM, 2MB
	Supra 4x4 SCSI Host Adapter (NO internal RAM)
	2 A1010 external 3.5" floppies
	1 A1020 external 5.25" floppy
	various HDs and other stuff on the SCSI bus

System software is "stock" Amiga Enhancer version 1.3, using FFS.  The Supra
software is their Series II, version 1.09.  The "SupraMount" is on the first
line in the startup-sequence, so HD buffers are allocated into 16-bit fast RAM;
it's not until much later in the startup-sequence the Ronin AddMem for the
32-bit-wide RAM is invoked.

The Quantum 80S were just manufactured last week; date codes on most of the IC
chips are 8929 (29th week of 1989), so these are the latest production; even
have the "Apple" logo-sticker on the back of the drives.

All my tests were conducted by simply booting using my everyday Workbench disk,
then manually entering either "sys:autotest/autotest dh50:" or
"sys:diskperf/apr87/diskperfa dh50:" and recording the results.  No funny stuff
or other special setups were done (i.e. I did *NOT* do any optimal programming
of the Quantum DisCache (tm)).  The MAXTRANSFER is the Supra default of 65024.
The test results are reproducible on several of my systems, and anyone wishing
to stop by my office is welcome to witness a "run" for themselves.

Since I do have the Quantum OEM and Product manuals, I do intend doing some
experimenting to see just how much "tweaking" can be done with these drives on
my Amigas.

As a side note, the Quantums have replaced all the ^$%@&^%$& Seagate ST-251
drives which have gone belly-up with stiction problems; the Seagates have been
relegated to doorstop, paperweight, and toilet-tank-water-displacement duty
(we are still having a water shortage in N. California).

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

md41@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Marcus Dolengo) (11/11/90)

several questions:

How is GVP handling their educational discount? where can I get info on it?

also when is the Amiga educational discount supposed to end? Last I heard was
it ends on the 31st of december. When will 2.0 be available for the 500? How
much will upgrading from 1.3 cost?

Should be a week before I get my A500P/s system unless shipping takes longer
than 3 days. :-)
 o                             o   | This Space For Rent        Only Amiga!! //
<< md41@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu >>  | Amerikkka's Most Wanted               \X/
/>                             <\  |
"Get your Jimmy thicker with St. Ides Malt Liquor"  -Ice Cube

About MS-DOS: "... an OS originally designed for a microprocessor that modern
                kitchen appliances would sneer at...."
                   - Dave Trowbridge, _Computer Technology Review_, Aug 90
                      <apologies to rlw@ttardis> :)

Anyone know where I can get a US Robotics Dual Standard modem used for $400?
reconditioned or used? leave email to above address please

	Amaginations is handling the GVP discount so you can get
it from them. Also, before you get the many angry remarks from
people tired of hearing people ask when the educational discount
plan from CBM will end, it is going on indefinitely! There is no
declared end. There is only a declared end to the current prices.
As of Jan 1 the price can change.
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

GorbachevAwards++;