[comp.sys.amiga] 68010

spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (12/25/86)

Wow!  Guess what Randy got for Christmas!

A 68010!  How did my family ever know?  I just dropped that sucker in my Amiga
( and broke the power LED and the button on the disk drive in the process )
and I now have a 68010 Amiga!

Now what?

I run some demos, and they look the same, I run programs and they look the
same.  Will Mandelbrots run faster?  What is the advantage?  Is there a test
program I could run that would show me the difference ( I have two Amigas
in this house (and the Mac from work!) ).  Just wanted to know, thanks gang.

PS, before everyone goes off and asks me where I got a 68010 (which is what
I have been asking everyone for the longest time) I just finally decided to
ask my room mate for one, he works for Motorola (and was sick that the 68000
in the Amiga is not made by them).  He just took this out of a machine they
were taking apart (he just asked me if I needed a SCSI hard disk drive, dang!)

PPS, what does an NTSC Amiga program look like on the PAL monitor?  Does it
only display in the bottom 200 lines of the monitor when opening a screen?
Do they have the spaces between the lines when not in interlace mode, Do they
have an interlace mode?  No, they wouldn't.  So they just duplicate every
line twice when in (fake non interlace mode)  But boy they must have flicker
*all* the time!
Randy Spencer P.O. Box 4542 Berkeley CA 94704 (415)284-4740 ...well!spencer
                         I N F I N I T Y             spencer@USCVAXQ.bitnet
Now working for          |||||||||||::::... . .     spencer@usc-oberon.arpa
But in no way            |||||||||||||||::::.. .. . .
Officially representing  ||||||||||||:::::... ..
                         s o f t w a r e

dkanthar@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Devaprasad Kantharaj) (11/03/89)

I know there was a discussion about this a while back, but I need to know.

What are the advantages of upgrading my 500 to a 68010? Can I just drop the
chip in? How's the program compatibility? What exactly does the 68010 have
besides the greater clock speed that the 68000 doesn't have?

Thanks for your patience and info in advance.

I will summarize.

Prasad

theobaby@well.UUCP (Paul Theodoropoulos) (11/06/89)

68010 runs at stock amiga speed (7.14Mc). The performance improvement is due to
a three instruction cache, specifically for itty-bitty loops. surprisingly, it
works, and provides variously 5% to 20% improvement OVERALL. Some programs will
show not a whit of improvement, due to loops longer than three instructions. But
it seems to occur often enough that it helps. Some programs will CRASH though,  so you must install a trap for the one privileged instr. (move(SR)). There are
PD progs available to do this.
  We can thank the little 68010 for the development of the 68020. the 010
supports virtual machine states, which allowed Motorola to create the 020 in
software before they committed to silicon. Nifty little chip!.

jeremym@brahms.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) (11/08/90)

Could someone pease tell me the implications of exchanging a
68000 with a 68010 on the B2000 rev 4.2? Also,
what programs will change it back to a 68000 if there appears to be problems?
I havent put it in yet.. and prob. wont for a litttle while..
So.. lemme know... what are my options?
How bout the next hack
as a flick switch betweek the
68000 and 68010?? Lemme know. Reply thrtu this or whatever..

-the jerm

Subject: 68010
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga

Could someone pease tell me the implications of exchanging a
68000 with a 68010 on the B2000 rev 4.2? Also,
what programs will change it back to a 68000 if there appears to be problems?
I havent put it in yet.. and prob. wont for a litttle while..
So.. lemme know... what are my options?
How bout the next hack
as a flick switch betweek the
68000 and 68010?? Lemme know. Reply thrtu this or whatever..

-the jerm

E Pluribus// Contact me if you wish for whatever reason:
 *UNIX*  //  Pri: jeremy@freezer.it.udel.edu Second: jeremym@brahms.udel.edu
     \\ //   Lastly, if neither of those work      :  jeremy@vax1.udel.edu
      \X/     ---> Know what I hate most? Rhetorical questions. <----

lindblad@cc.helsinki.fi (11/10/90)

> Could someone pease tell me the implications of exchanging a
> 68000 with a 68010 on the B2000 rev 4.2? Also,
> what programs will change it back to a 68000 if there appears to be problems?
> I havent put it in yet.. and prob. wont for a litttle while..

I have changed 68010 to my 2 meg A500 and have noticed that there are only few
programs that won't work with it. On the other hand, I don't see any reason why
to "boost" Amiga with 68010  because the improve in speed is only about 5-10%
and that's something you won't even notice. Only if you optimize the code for
010, you will get more speed increase (up to 40% in some cases).
	Decigel and Super Decigel are programs that make 010 look like 68010.
There are very few programs that won't work with Decigels, for example
Transformer. But those programs may be "corrected" with Fix68010 (after fixing
you won't propably be able to run those programs with 68000).

mt87692@tut.fi (Mikko Tsokkinen) (11/10/90)

> > Could someone pease tell me the implications of exchanging a
> > 68000 with a 68010 on the B2000 rev 4.2? Also,
> > what programs will change it back to a 68000 if there appears to be problems?
> > I havent put it in yet.. and prob. wont for a litttle while..

> I have changed 68010 to my 2 meg A500 and have noticed that there are only few
> programs that won't work with it. On the other hand, I don't see any reason why
> to "boost" Amiga with 68010  because the improve in speed is only about 5-10%
> and that's something you won't even notice. Only if you optimize the code for
> 010, you will get more speed increase (up to 40% in some cases).

 Since 68010 costs only $1 (at least that's what I paid for it) %10 is quite
accectable. If you occasionally use any raytracers you might even notice the
speed increase :-)
 Most eurodemos and some games hate 68010, but they don't work without $C0000
memory expansion either (Nope with 1MB chip or 8M fast) so 68010 doesn't make
things any worse. I have allready made switch in my machine to relocate $80000
to $C00000 to get those bastards to work.

Just my .02fmk worth.

 MIT

--
Lets buy a dog!

tmd@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Tom Davis) (11/12/90)

In article <15556@brahms.udel.edu>, jeremym@brahms.udel.edu (Jeremy
A Moskowitz) writes:

> Could someone pease tell me the implications of exchanging a
> 68000 with a 68010 on the B2000 rev 4.2?

For what it's worth, about the only thing a 68010 buys you over a 68000
is that it has a small instruction cache that will speed up very tight
loops. For instance, the 680x0 architecture has no native string
handling instructions, so you have to write a tight loop to, say, copy
the characters of one string to another. The 68010 makes these run quite
a bit faster than on the 68000.

--

Tom Davis                   Internet address: tmd@austin.lockheed.com
      -- Drop me a note some time: "pen" pals always welcome --

jeh@sisd.kodak.com (Ed Hanway) (11/12/90)

tmd@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Tom Davis) writes:
>In article <15556@brahms.udel.edu>, jeremym@brahms.udel.edu (Jeremy
>A Moskowitz) writes:
>
>> Could someone pease tell me the implications of exchanging a
>> 68000 with a 68010 on the B2000 rev 4.2?
>
>For what it's worth, about the only thing a 68010 buys you over a 68000
>is that it has a small instruction cache that will speed up very tight
>loops.

The 68010 also has improved microcode for the multiply and/or divide
instructions (I forget exactly which ones).  Operations that involve a lot
of integer multiplication and division will run faster, although the
increased speed is not all that noticeable unless you run side-by-side with a
68000.

--
Ed Hanway   uunet!sisd!jeh
This is not an offer to sell securities. For off-road use only. Some equipment

davem@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Dave K. Martin) (11/13/90)

Wow!  A question that I can respond to.....

I've been using a 68010 in my B2000, Rev 4.2 for the last 6-7 months with
no problems.  The only thing that does not work with the 68010 is the game
F-16 COMBAT PILOT which is no great loss anyway :-).

All of my other games work ok as do Prowrite (2.5 & 3.0), MaxiPlan,
MicroFiche Filer, AmigaVision, AudioMaster, etc.... in short everything I use.
I did get a copy of SUPERDECIGEL and placed that in my startup sequence,
sorry but I don't remember which Fish disk it came from.  All of the games
that boot from floppy work just fine without it though.  None of the PD
stuff I run seems to break because of the 68010.

The speed checks I've run both on my 2000 and a friends 1000 with a 68010
show about a speed increase of about 1%.  Some programs with a lot of
math are noticably faster.

I still haven't decided if the small speed gains were worth the $15 I paid
for the 68010.  It doesn't seem to be worth the trouble to pull it back out
though :-)

	  (Gee... my very first post.....)

DXB132@psuvm.psu.edu (11/13/90)

In article <422@martin.AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM>, tmd@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Tom Davis)
says:

>In article <15556@brahms.udel.edu>, jeremym@brahms.udel.edu (Jeremy
>A Moskowitz) writes:

>> Could someone pease tell me the implications of exchanging a
>> 68000 with a 68010 on the B2000 rev 4.2?

>For what it's worth, about the only thing a 68010 buys you over a 68000
>is that it has a small instruction cache that will speed up very tight
>loops. For instance, the 680x0 architecture has no native string
>handling instructions, so you have to write a tight loop to, say, copy
>the characters of one string to another. The 68010 makes these run quite
>a bit faster than on the 68000.

Actually, unrolling the loop is fastest - faster than the loop mode on the 010,
 and even faster on a regular 68000 without the loop mode.
So there's really very little need for the special loop mode...

-- Dan Babcock