[comp.sys.amiga] Question about a possible transfer protocol

v128ll9e@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Richard B Wicks) (11/09/90)

	I was thinking late at night on how I could make a brand new and really
fast transfer protocol.  This is (I think) a completely new idea.  It occured to
me that the only way to really speed up a transfer is the have the receiving
computer send NO information back to the sending computer.
	The way that it would work (for error checking) is have the sending
computer would send a CRC check every 1024 bytes.  The receiving computer would
independently compute the CRC and compare them, if they are different, then and
only then would the receiving computer send anything back.
	My question:  would this speed up transfers?  It seems to me that it
would have to if you programmed to protocol to take advantage of the
multitasking ability of the Amiga.  The only problem is getting some poeple
to adopt the protocol.

-Rich

mcmahan@netcom.UUCP (Dave Mc Mahan) (11/09/90)

 In a previous article, v128ll9e@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

>	I was thinking late at night on how I could make a brand new and really
>fast transfer protocol.  This is (I think) a completely new idea. It occured to
>me that the only way to really speed up a transfer is the have the receiving
>computer send NO information back to the sending computer.

Not quite true.  To take advantage of the maximum rate of your modem, you have
to ensure that the transmitting end is always full and there are no pauses in
the outbound character stream.  Transmission rate in one direction does not
depend on transmission rate in the other direction (for modems that are
true full duplex).

>	The way that it would work (for error checking) is have the sending
>computer would send a CRC check every 1024 bytes.  The receiving computer would
>independently compute the CRC and compare them, if they are different, then and
>only then would the receiving computer send anything back.

I think this is pretty much the concept behind Z-modem.  If you get a fast host
and a fast term program that are optimized for Z-modem speed, you will see
the back channel light flicker only occasionally and you should never see the
outbound data light stop and wait for it.  I use JR-Comm for the amiga (nice
job on the software, Mr. Radigan!) and a Sun-4 host.  I regularly get 235
characters per second coming in (out of a possible 240 cps with a 2400 baud
modem) even with heavy usage of the host computer.  I have seen this number
go up to 239 or 240 cps when little else is taking CPU time or disk accesses
from my host.  I almost always get 240 cps when I send files to my host.

>-Rich

   -dave

--
Dave McMahan                            mcmahan@netcom.uucp
					{apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!mcmahan

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (11/09/90)

In article <45220@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v128ll9e@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

>	I was thinking late at night on how I could make a brand new and really
>fast transfer protocol.
> [description of protocol deleted]

You have described ZMODEM fairly accurately.  Yes, it's a great idea, it
really is a good, fast transfer method.  And people are adopting it. I
only wish it dealt with errors more quickly.

Don't feel bad if you didn't know this.  A friend of mine also
"invented" ZMODEM himself...
--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                                    \\ / /

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (11/10/90)

A VERY easy way to make a transfer protocol with max thoroughput would be
to have NO error checking, and restrict the protocol to people with MNP,
HST, V.32/42, etc. Sort of like supercharged versions of Zmodem/Overdrive
or Ymodem-G.

Joseph Hillenburg, Secretary, Bloomington Amiga Users Group (BAUG)
joseph@valnet.UUCP                         ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph
"Only Apple could slow down a 68000 chip." -Computer Shopper

jprad@dynalogic.UUCP (Jack Radigan) (11/11/90)

In article <45220@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, Richard B Wicks writes:

>	I was thinking late at night on how I could make a brand new and really
>fast transfer protocol.  This is (I think) a completely new idea.  It occured
>me that the only way to really speed up a transfer is the have the receiving
>computer send NO information back to the sending computer.

   ZMODEM (full streaming) and YMODEM-g both operate in this fashion.  With
ZMODEM, it only sends a reposition header to the sender when a data frame is
recieved in error.

   YMODEM-g requires an MNP or similar error-corrected connection since it
only checks for errors, it does not correct for them.  It also requires full
256 byte transparancy as do all XMODEM technology protocols.

>	My question:  would this speed up transfers?  It seems to me that it
>would have to if you programmed to protocol to take advantage of the
>multitasking ability of the Amiga.  The only problem is getting some poeple
>to adopt the protocol.

   YMODEM-g will give you some great throughput figures, 98+% is quite
common.  ZMODEM, since it is compatible with packet-switched networks,
is somewhat slower due to the necessary character escaping it has to do
to prevent network problems.

>-Rich

 -jack-

king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King) (11/13/90)

In article <45220@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v128ll9e@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

>	I was thinking late at night on how I could make a brand new and really
>fast transfer protocol.  This is (I think) a completely new idea.  It occured to
>me that the only way to really speed up a transfer is the have the receiving
>computer send NO information back to the sending computer.
>	The way that it would work (for error checking) is have the sending
>computer would send a CRC check every 1024 bytes.  The receiving computer would
>independently compute the CRC and compare them, if they are different, then and
>only then would the receiving computer send anything back.
>	My question:  would this speed up transfers?  It seems to me that it
>would have to if you programmed to protocol to take advantage of the
>multitasking ability of the Amiga.  The only problem is getting some poeple
>to adopt the protocol.
>
>-Rich

Excuse me, but did somebody mention Zmodem?  What you've described is
essentially the inner workings of Zmodem.  It *is* faster than other
protocols that regularly acknowledge the packets.  The speedup is especially
noticable over packet-switched networks, less noticable for normal dialups.
Zmodem has been around since before 1986; that's the date of the revision on
the spec sheets I have.  (Chuck Forsberg, Omen Technology Inc., "The ZMODEM
Asynchronous Inter Application File Transfer Protocol", rev051486 Printed
5-16-86)

Multitasking isn't necessary, but it might be handy if you wanted to do
simultaneous bidirectional transfers.  There's a "Bimodem" protocol for IBM
PCs that I think is bidirectional Zmodem.  (Don't quote me on that.) The
closest the Amiga world ever got was with a term program called Diga that
would let you transfer one direction and chat with the other person at the
same time.  Don't think it did bidirectional transfers, though.  (Again,
don't quote me.)

--
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than    |        Steven King