[comp.sys.amiga] A2320 and KS2.0 update

joachim@urz.unibas.ch (11/02/90)

When I asked a local dealer about the availability of the A2320
deinterlacer he told me it would be better to wait for the KS2.0
enhancer package for the B2000.

This package, consisting of the ECS chipset, the KS2.0-ROMS and the
new WB-Disks, provides (according to the dealer) the same functionality
as the A2320.

So my question is:
Would the A2320 really be made useless by the upgrade package ?

Should anyone out there in Netland know the answer please let me know.

Thanks !
Peter Joachim  <joachim@urz.unibas.ch>

hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) (11/03/90)

In article <1990Nov2.083908.1102@urz.unibas.ch> joachim@urz.unibas.ch writes:
>When I asked a local dealer about the availability of the A2320
>deinterlacer he told me it would be better to wait for the KS2.0
>enhancer package for the B2000.
>
>This package, consisting of the ECS chipset, the KS2.0-ROMS and the
>new WB-Disks, provides (according to the dealer) the same functionality
>as the A2320.
>
>So my question is:
>Would the A2320 really be made useless by the upgrade package ?
>
>Should anyone out there in Netland know the answer please let me know.
>
>Thanks !
>Peter Joachim  <joachim@urz.unibas.ch>

I think your dealer is VERY confused!  The ECS modes that provide a
31.5Khz display, namely Productivity mode and Productivity Interlaced
modes use up vast amounts of your systems bandwidth and limit you to
just 4 colors.  The A2320 is a totally transparent device that has no
impact on your systems bandwidth and works with all 12-bits of RGB for
up to 4096 colors on your display.  The ECS and A2320 can work together
to provide the best of both as automatically as possible for to enhance
as many of the Amiga's video modes as possible.  I hope this helps!

Enjoy,
Scott Hood

Scott Hood, Hardware Design Engineer (A3000 Crew),  Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!hood   hood@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
  "The views expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer!"

lcline@sequent.com (Larry Cline) (11/03/90)

In article <1990Nov2.083908.1102@urz.unibas.ch> joachim@urz.unibas.ch writes:
   When I asked a local dealer about the availability of the A2320
   deinterlacer he told me it would be better to wait for the KS2.0
   enhancer package for the B2000.

   This package, consisting of the ECS chipset, the KS2.0-ROMS and the
   new WB-Disks, provides (according to the dealer) the same functionality
   as the A2320.

   So my question is:
   Would the A2320 really be made useless by the upgrade package ?

   Should anyone out there in Netland know the answer please let me know.

   Thanks !
   Peter Joachim  <joachim@urz.unibas.ch>

No. The 2.0 enhancement does not add the functionality of the 2320.  The
Denise in the new chipset will add the new productivity modes and the
new de-interlaced modes but it will not take out the flicker in the existing
interlace modes.  In the 3000 this is handled by the Amber chip and associated
circuits (which is not part of the 2.0 enhancement for 2000's).  The 2320
adds the functionality of the Amber to the 2000.

Larry Cline
lcline@sequent.sequent.com

".sig!  Contractors don't need no stinkin' .sig!!!"

wfaust@venus.UUCP (Wolf Faust) (11/03/90)

>In article <1990Nov2.083908.1102@urz.unibas.ch> joachim@urz.unibas.ch writes:
>When I asked a local dealer about the availability of the A2320
>deinterlacer he told me it would be better to wait for the KS2.0
>enhancer package for the B2000.

First of all: It depends on what you are doing... in most cases I
woul'd prefer the A2320 card because there is no decrease in
speed. (I aspect other people here telling you more about why and
how)

Second: there isn't much software out there supporting ECS...

Third:  There are also other good deinterlace cards available.
There is a flickerfixer available from MacroSystems (Germany +(49)
2330 801132).  This flickerfixer supports all modes and frequency
(same as A2320).  This deinterlacer is not build on the amber chip
(so there should be no flickering line at the top!)

And more...  there is a special mode with 100Hz!!!  This is done
by a fine trick.  A hires-interlace screen (50Hz) is displayed as
hires (100Hz).

And more...  there is an additional valvo 8W amplifyer on board!
So you can easily connect your speakers for the nice amiga sound!

And more... the price is DM498 ($332). With additional Sony(!)
stereo speakers: DM549 ($366)

-----
Wolf Faust    UUCP:cbmvax.commodore.com!cbmehq!cbmger!venus!wfaust
Tel: (+49)69 5486556(voice)     FIDO: 2:243/43.5

sdl@linus.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) (11/05/90)

In article <wfaust.4394@venus.UUCP> wfaust@venus.UUCP (Wolf Faust) writes:

> Third:  There are also other good deinterlace cards available.
> There is a flickerfixer available from MacroSystems (Germany +(49)
> 2330 801132).  This flickerfixer supports all modes and frequency
> (same as A2320).  This deinterlacer is not build on the amber chip
> (so there should be no flickering line at the top!)

This is the first I'd heard of this card or this company.  Do you have
the mailing address of the Macrosystems company?
--
Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation

In article <1990Nov2.083908.1102@urz.unibas.ch> joachim@urz.unibas.ch writes:
>When I asked a local dealer about the availability of the A2320
>deinterlacer he told me it would be better to wait for the KS2.0
>enhancer package for the B2000.
>
>This package, consisting of the ECS chipset, the KS2.0-ROMS and the
>new WB-Disks, provides (according to the dealer) the same functionality
>as the A2320.

That's nonsense. The ECS chipset doesn't contain the Amber chip which
does the deinterlacing, that's a separate issue, covered by the A2320.
So you would need this if you want to get the effect.

glin@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (George Lin [900116]) (11/06/90)

In article <15556@cbmvax.commodore.com> hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) writes:

>I think your dealer is VERY confused!  The ECS modes that provide a
>31.5Khz display, namely Productivity mode and Productivity Interlaced
>modes use up vast amounts of your systems bandwidth and limit you to
>just 4 colors.  The A2320 is a totally transparent device that has no
>impact on your systems bandwidth and works with all 12-bits of RGB for
>up to 4096 colors on your display.  The ECS and A2320 can work together

If this is true, then why do you need the productivity mode since in a
previous e-mail, you wrote:
"Yes, the A2320 and the A3000 both de-interlace the hi-res 16 colors as well
 as the HAM modes (4096 at one time)."

Wouldn't you just use the de-interlaced hi-res for productivity?

BTW, My motherboard version is either 4.2 or 4.3, will I need to upgrade this
to make it work with the WB2.0 or A2320?  If so, how & ?$?

>Enjoy,
>Scott Hood
>
>--
>--
>Scott Hood, Hardware Design Engineer (A3000 Crew),  Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
>   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!hood   hood@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
>  "The views expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer!"

GLin

wfaust@venus.UUCP (Wolf Faust) (11/06/90)

>In article <SDL.90Nov4133812@lyra.linus.mitre.org> sdl@linus.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) writes:
>In article <wfaust.4394@venus.UUCP> wfaust@venus.UUCP (Wolf Faust) writes:
>
>> There is a flickerfixer available from MacroSystems (Germany +(49)
>> 2330 801132).  This flickerfixer supports all modes and frequency
>> (same as A2320).  This deinterlacer is not build on the amber chip
>the mailing address of the Macrosystems company?

Never heard of it??? They also made the medusa Atari St (now and
new: TT for turbos) emulator which is far better than the chameleon
emulator. They also build a SCSI controller, a graphic tablet
(really cheap and phantastic resolution!!), memory boards...

Address:
Macro Systems
Gahlenfeldstrasse 6
W-5804 Herdecke
Germany
TEL +(49) 2330-801132
FAX +(49) 2330-73055

------------
Wolf Faust    UUCP:cbmvax.commodore.com!cbmehq!cbmger!venus!wfaust
Tel: (+49)69 5486556           FIDO: 2:243/43.5

hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) (11/09/90)

In article <1239@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU> glin@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (George Lin [900116]) writes:
>In article <15556@cbmvax.commodore.com> hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) writes:
>
>>I think your dealer is VERY confused!  The ECS modes that provide a
>>31.5Khz display, namely Productivity mode and Productivity Interlaced
>>modes use up vast amounts of your systems bandwidth and limit you to
>>just 4 colors.  The A2320 is a totally transparent device that has no
>>impact on your systems bandwidth and works with all 12-bits of RGB for
>>up to 4096 colors on your display.  The ECS and A2320 can work together
>
>If this is true, then why do you need the productivity mode since in a
>previous e-mail, you wrote:
>"Yes, the A2320 and the A3000 both de-interlace the hi-res 16 colors as well
> as the HAM modes (4096 at one time)."
>
>Wouldn't you just use the de-interlaced hi-res for productivity?
>
>BTW, My motherboard version is either 4.2 or 4.3, will I need to upgrade this
>to make it work with the WB2.0 or A2320?  If so, how & ?$?
>
>>Enjoy,
>>Scott Hood
>>
>>--
>>--
>>Scott Hood, Hardware Design Engineer (A3000 Crew),  Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
>>   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!hood   hood@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
>>  "The views expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer!"
>
>GLin

You don't need productivity mode to have the A2320 do it's thing!  I
said this about the A3000 because the A2320 circuitry is built-in to the
A3000.  Both the A2320 and the built-in display enhancer on the A3000
can work with the productivity in that the display enchancer gets out of
the way of the custom chip set that produces this ECS modes.  I would
recommend that if you have an A3000 or an A2000 with the A2320 card
installed that you always use the hi-res (non-ECS modes) modes for
better system throughput rather than the ECS video mode called
`productivity mode'.  Also, the A2320 works in all A2000 machines that
have the two 36-pin connectors of the video slot.  What I was refering
earlier to was those German A2000 motherboard that only have one 36-pin
connector which is only half of what we all know and love called the
video slot.  You can determine if you have one of the very early German
designs by looking at your video slot.  If only one 36-pin connector,
then you have the early machine and you cannot use the A2320.  If two
36-pin connectors in line with each other are on your A2000, then you
can use the A2320 in your system!.

Regards,

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (11/10/90)

In article <1239@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU> glin@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (George Lin [900116]) writes:
>In article <15556@cbmvax.commodore.com> hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) writes:

[...patient explanation of why ECS & 2320 do different functions deleted...]

>If this is true, then why do you need the productivity mode since in a
>previous e-mail, you wrote:
>"Yes, the A2320 and the A3000 both de-interlace the hi-res 16 colors as well
> as the HAM modes (4096 at one time)."

Because the ECS and the 2320 (equivalent circuitry on the motherboard) are
both in the 3000.  But the ECS does not incompass the 2320.  If you buy the
ECS you get productivity modes.  If you buy the 2320 you get deinterlacing
of normal interlaced video modes.  These are totally different and disjoint
screen modes.  Both are included built-in on the 3000.  Neither is included
in current A2000s, but you can get either or both (ultimately), depending on
what you want to do with your machine.

Productivity mode is a way to include deinterlaced video in the normal
Amiga without resorting to the expensive memory and control circuitry on
a flicker-fixer.  It is probably included in the 3000 for compatibility
reasons.  Once they start building A2000s with the ECS built-in then you
(the owner of a new ECS-equipped Amiga) will already have one way to get
deinterlaced video output.  For you the 2320 will be an enhancement beyond
the more limited capabilities of the ECS.  ECS will become the base machine,
and the 2320 will be your option to improve that capability.

If you don't already have the ECS in your non-3000 machine (and who does?)
then you may just want to get the 2320 and blow off the ECS.  Of course
then you'll be in the same boat as us 1000 owners with no half-bright mode.
;^)  (ie, lacking at least one of the video modes of the latest base machine).
  \
   (Note smug smiley)

My 1000 didn't melt and run into a puddle of slag on the floor when
half-bright came out.  I'm sure it won't do it now either.

BTW - Scott Hood, are there any plans (that you can talk about) to do a
      520 or whatever - a 2320 for the 500?  Maybe just an adapter like
      Microway sells?

--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.

hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) (11/13/90)

In article <108475@convex.convex.com> swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
>In article <1239@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU> glin@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (George Lin [900116]) writes:
>>In article <15556@cbmvax.commodore.com> hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) writes:
>
>[...patient explanation of why ECS & 2320 do different functions deleted...]
>
>>If this is true, then why do you need the productivity mode since in a
>>previous e-mail, you wrote:
>>"Yes, the A2320 and the A3000 both de-interlace the hi-res 16 colors as well
>> as the HAM modes (4096 at one time)."
>
>Because the ECS and the 2320 (equivalent circuitry on the motherboard) are
>both in the 3000.  But the ECS does not incompass the 2320.  If you buy the
>ECS you get productivity modes.  If you buy the 2320 you get deinterlacing
>of normal interlaced video modes.  These are totally different and disjoint
>screen modes.  Both are included built-in on the 3000.  Neither is included
>in current A2000s, but you can get either or both (ultimately), depending on
>what you want to do with your machine.
>
>Productivity mode is a way to include deinterlaced video in the normal
>Amiga without resorting to the expensive memory and control circuitry on
>a flicker-fixer.  It is probably included in the 3000 for compatibility
>reasons.  Once they start building A2000s with the ECS built-in then you
>(the owner of a new ECS-equipped Amiga) will already have one way to get
>deinterlaced video output.  For you the 2320 will be an enhancement beyond
>the more limited capabilities of the ECS.  ECS will become the base machine,
>and the 2320 will be your option to improve that capability.
>
>If you don't already have the ECS in your non-3000 machine (and who does?)
>then you may just want to get the 2320 and blow off the ECS.  Of course
>then you'll be in the same boat as us 1000 owners with no half-bright mode.
>;^)  (ie, lacking at least one of the video modes of the latest base machine).
>  \
>   (Note smug smiley)
>
>My 1000 didn't melt and run into a puddle of slag on the floor when
>half-bright came out.  I'm sure it won't do it now either.
>
>BTW - Scott Hood, are there any plans (that you can talk about) to do a
>      520 or whatever - a 2320 for the 500?  Maybe just an adapter like
>      Microway sells?
>
>--
>            _.
>--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.
>  Warren   v\ *|     ----------------------------------------------
>             V       {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.COM

I have thought about just such a beast but it would be more expensive
than the A2320 is today due to the A/D, power supply, casework, etc.  I
am not so sure that the average A500 user would be so willing to pay fo
for this and a multisync monitor as well.  If someone is that interested
in using their A500 machine for productivity applications then the ECS
might be the better (less expensive) approach.  Thus, it has been
discussed and probably will not be pursued.  This might be a very good
third party problem to solve, hint, hint!!  Please do not send me
massive email to the effect "we want an A500 version of the A2320!", I
need to get some work done :-).

Scott Hood
P.S. By the way, that was a very good answer Steve!