[comp.sys.amiga] Freedom of Speech

rcs91900@zach.fit.edu ( Charles Stockman /ADVISOR-Clutterham) (09/28/90)

I want people to know that I will respond to any article I wish and will
say what I think is <HONEST and CORRECT> so please do not waste money and
send those articles that say stop posting or tell me I am a jerk because
I am going to keep on writing what I think is honest or correct and will
always try to keep a civil tounge about !!!

lrg7030@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren Rittle) (09/28/90)

Charles Stockman writes after being flamed:
> I want people to know that I will respond to any article I wish and will
> say what I think is <HONEST and CORRECT> so please do not waste money and
> send those articles that say stop posting or tell me I am a jerk because
> I am going to keep on writing what I think is honest or correct and will
> always try to keep a civil tounge about !!!

I believe people were getting upset, not about what you were saying,
but because you posted *the same* thing four times.  If it was a
system error, then OK.  But you admitted that you reposted the blasted
article until you got a response.  This is not only a waste of money
(whose money you ask, This is an unknown), but also pisses people
off.  I have no problem with people saying what they want to, but
don't repost the same article four times --- it does make you a jerk!
Loren J. Rittle

sampson@cod.NOSC.MIL (Charles H. Sampson) (11/14/90)

In article <EbCqmh200WAxQ0mlxX@andrew.cmu.edu> cs4w+@andrew.cmu.edu (Charles William Swiger) writes:
>                                    ...              Again, distributing
>information about how to deprotect a program is NOT illegal.  To attempt
>to prevent the distribution of such information would be a clear
>violation of the "free speech" (First) Amendment of the Bill of Rights.

     "Free speech" seems to have been in the news quite a bit recently.
Before talking about violations of the Bill of Rights, it might be useful
to see what it says.  The first amendment is "Congress shall make no law ...
abridging the freedom of speech ...".  Notice that that's a statement about
what Congress can't do, and it says nothing about social pressure, your
boss, a letters-to-the-editor column, or local movie censors.  While a
person might be upset if someone is trying to prevent his views from
being heard, and he and others might consider such an act to be a moral
outrage, it isn't a violation of the Bill of Rights.

                             Charlie Sampson