[comp.sys.amiga] Splitting c.s.a

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (11/09/90)

When are we going to get around to voting on new newsgroups?  The amount
of articles and wasted bandwidth (such as this one 8-) is just too high!
			See ya, Ralph

Ralph Seguin			gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu
536 South Forest Apt. #915	gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu
Ann Arbor, MI 48104		(313) 662-4805

jmeissen@oregon.oacis.org ( Staff OACIS) (11/10/90)

In article <1990Nov9.083259.4209@engin.umich.edu> gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
>When are we going to get around to voting on new newsgroups?  The amount
>of articles and wasted bandwidth (such as this one 8-) is just too high!

This discussion has been moved to the more appropriate newsgroup news.groups.

--
John Meissen .............................. Oregon Advanced Computing Institute
jmeissen@oacis.org        (Internet) | "That's the remarkable thing about life;

jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) (11/14/90)

Kent Paul Dolan <xanthian@zorch.sf-bay.org> writes:

> By the way, good news, the moderator of amiga-relay at udel.edu finally
> contacted me, and it is his plan to split amiga-relay into separate two
> way relays for each subgroup of c.s.a.*, which will remove the annoyance
> of games and other postings funneling back to c.s.a (in a meta-sense,
> since that group will no longer exist).

This will certainly be appreciated by a *LOT* of current Relay
subscribers!

> The only difficulty is deciding what to do about cross-postings. I hope
> that folks will follow my plan of holding discussions appropriate for
> many of the subgroups just in c.s.a.misc, rather than cross-posting the
> whole discussion, since the only plan that seems feasible for the relay
> is to send a copy of the cross-posted article to each group, which will
> be a lot of wasted email traffic if the cross-posting percent cannot be
> brought down from its current 5% level.

Personally, I'd suggest that the relay should *NEVER* pass any
cross-posted message through.  If it's really important enough to send
to multiple groups, then post manually to additional groups, *AFTER*
trying to get a reply from the most logical group.

   --- Cal