[comp.sys.amiga] MISC. RAMBLINGS... :)

bill.young@canremote.uucp (BILL YOUNG) (11/03/90)

In regards to WB 2.0 - I've seen it running on 3000's and some 2000's
using Zkick/Kickit and it looked like quite a major improvement over
1.3.  One thing I miss though is the ability (like some other GUI's) to
conveniently read text files or view graphics.  Sure, an icon with More
or SuperView would do the trick, but it's not as convenient as say
viewing a window with the "Show All" option on (where everything in the
dir/volume is displayed) and then clicking on the iconless (using the
default system icon) text file or pic and given the option of reading it
or displaying it (a la GEM).  Is anything like this planned before 2.0
is widely released?

While on the subject of 2.0, does anyone know why programs from the
initial shell cannot contain a "<NIL:" redirection?  Apparently Addtools
requires this to work properly.

In regards to the 2320 (?) display enhancer from C= - I've heard there
were palette problems when viewing HAM pics with it on.  Can anyone
elaborate on this further?

Anyone know if there's any truth to the rumour of an 8 bit card/chipset
in the works?

Sorry if any of the above has been previously hashed and rehashed on the
net - I just got on... :)

I'd appreciate all replies be posted privately to me - CSA's volume can
be too much to sift through at times... :)  Thanks.

---
First the adress...   |  Now the stupid witty remark...
byoung@canremote.uucp | "Friends come and go, but enemies accumlate..."

hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) (11/14/90)

In article <c34175124f5727326640@canremote.uucp> bill.young@canremote.uucp (BILL YOUNG) writes:
>In regards to WB 2.0 - I've seen it running on 3000's and some 2000's
>using Zkick/Kickit and it looked like quite a major improvement over
>1.3.  One thing I miss though is the ability (like some other GUI's) to
>conveniently read text files or view graphics.  Sure, an icon with More
>or SuperView would do the trick, but it's not as convenient as say
>viewing a window with the "Show All" option on (where everything in the
>dir/volume is displayed) and then clicking on the iconless (using the
>default system icon) text file or pic and given the option of reading it
>or displaying it (a la GEM).  Is anything like this planned before 2.0
>is widely released?
>
>While on the subject of 2.0, does anyone know why programs from the
>initial shell cannot contain a "<NIL:" redirection?  Apparently Addtools
>requires this to work properly.
>
>In regards to the 2320 (?) display enhancer from C= - I've heard there
>were palette problems when viewing HAM pics with it on.  Can anyone
>elaborate on this further?
>
>Anyone know if there's any truth to the rumour of an 8 bit card/chipset
>in the works?
>
>Sorry if any of the above has been previously hashed and rehashed on the
>net - I just got on... :)
>
>I'd appreciate all replies be posted privately to me - CSA's volume can
>be too much to sift through at times... :)  Thanks.
>
>---
>First the adress...   |  Now the stupid witty remark...
>byoung@canremote.uucp | "Friends come and go, but enemies accumlate..."

As far as the A2320 is concerned, there are NO palette problems.  The
A2320 can easily handle all 4096 colors the Amiga is able to generate,
in any display mode.  This sounds more like a fine-tuning or monitor
brightness/contrast adjustment to me.  When you install the A2320 into
the 2000 you SHOULD preform the fine-tuning adjustment as outlined in
the user's manual.  I would then adjust the monitor's brightness,
contrast, and size controls to give me the best possible picture.

Regards,
Scott Hood

Scott Hood, Hardware Design Engineer (A3000 Crew),  Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!hood   hood@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
  "The views expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer!"