[comp.sys.amiga] A500 memory expansion

ISSYG%NUSVM.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Yves Goulnik) (03/22/89)

I have an A500 with A501 card, ie 1Meg of RAM which was very acceptable
until I started playing with SB-Prolog (Fish Disk #139,#140). This guy
is great but ... by the time you've loaded the compiler and most system
functions, 1 Meg is gone. It's hardly possible to have an editor, not
to mention a Shell.

So my question is, how can I expand my memory by increments of say 500K
or even 1Meg, at what price, with what performances, and will I need an
additional power supply (I only have an additional ultra-slim floppy
disk drive).

thanks,
____________________________ Yves Goulnik _____________________________
Institute of Systems Science              Digital Equipment Corporation
National University of Singapore          European AI Technology Centre
Kent Ridge, 0511 SINGAPORE                06561 Sophia-Antipolis FRANCE
BITNET               ISSYG@NUSVM

mike@trilby.UUCP (mike) (06/27/89)

   I'm looking to expand my memory beyond the 1 Meg my A500 currently has
and I would appreciate any pointers people on the net might have including
personal experience with the products.

Please e-mail and I will post a summary

Thanks

Mike

killer!trilby!mika!mike   or    uunet!edsews!trilby!mika!mike

11tstark@gallux.gallaudet.edu (Timothy Stark) (06/28/89)

Hello Users:

    I tried to post my original posting last week but no responses.
Please RESPONSE me! I unable to decide which 512K additional memory
board for my Amiga is reliable. Which is better for my Amiga? Commodore A501?
Third-party hardwares? Any? Please reply me about prices, its phone
order, and its address. Make sure that real-clock should be include any
A500 512K memory expansion.

Thanks!

-- Tim Stark

Internet: 11tstark@gallux.gallaudet.edu
Bitnet: 11tstark@gallua.bitnet
UUCP: ...!uunet!11tstark@gallux.gallaudet.edu

dean@coplex.UUCP (Dean Brooks) (06/28/89)

In article <18608@louie.udel.EDU> 11tstark@gallux.gallaudet.edu writes:
>Hello Users:
>
>    I tried to post my original posting last week but no responses.
>Please RESPONSE me! I unable to decide which 512K additional memory
>board for my Amiga is reliable. Which is better for my Amiga? Commodore A501?
>Third-party hardwares? Any? Please reply me about prices, its phone
>order, and its address. Make sure that real-clock should be include any
>A500 512K memory expansion.

  Well, I do have some advice on what memory expansion NOT to buy.  I
had the same questions as you have about 2 months ago.  I went to my
nearest Amiga Dealer and bought Supra's 501-Compatible 512K Expansion Board.
(With Clock). Nothing but problems...

  I took the board home and immediately ran several memory diagnostic programs
that I had aquired and every one of them noted that somewhere in the middle
of fast ram there was a blotch of unstable memory.  It would hold values
for a while and would then randomly change them.

  Questioning whether my Amiga was bad or the board was bad, I took both
back to the Dealer and was rather surprised.  My Amiga 500 was fine, and
the RAM chips on the new board were fine.  What WASNT fine was something
in the design of the board.

  Figuring I had just received a flaky board, we tested another.  Sure enough,
the RAM chips on the board were fine but the board itself was having problems.
We went through 4 boards and everyone of them had the same problem.  The RAM
chips were fine but the board was flaky.  Programs would mysteriously lock
up or trash a disk, etc.  What was even weirder is that every Supra ram
board we tested had a hand-soldered diode on the left side.  I dont
know if it was a last minute design change or what, but it looked like
a design kludge.

  I just wanted to warn you about this product to help someone avoid the
same problems I had.  Again, it may be that the group of boards this dealer
received was bad, but who knows! I had about a month worth of problems
with it before I replaced it with a Commodore 501.  This one works fine.

				Hope to have been some help!

--
dean@coplex.UUCP   Dean A. Brooks
                   Copper Electronics, Inc.

pfaff@gemini.asd.contel.com (Ray Pfaff - Oakwood 457 934-8162) (06/30/89)

Dean Brooks writes:
>  Well, I do have some advice on what memory expansion NOT to buy.  I
>had the same questions as you have about 2 months ago.  I went to my
>nearest Amiga Dealer and bought Supra's 501-Compatible 512K Expansion Board.
>(With Clock). Nothing but problems...
.
.
.
>  Questioning whether my Amiga was bad or the board was bad, I took both
>back to the Dealer and was rather surprised.  My Amiga 500 was fine, and
>the RAM chips on the new board were fine.  What WASNT fine was something
>in the design of the board.

Do you know specifically what was wrong with the design?  I have a supra ex-
pansion and haven't seen these problems, but I would be interested in checking
out the board to see if it is the same type as yours.
My only complaint about my board is that it appears that Supra used slower ram
than the normal Amiga expansion memory.  This is a subjective statement, I
haven't run any benchmark tests or anything.

dean@coplex.UUCP (Dean Brooks) (06/30/89)

In article <18761@louie.udel.EDU> pfaff@gemini.asd.contel.com (Ray Pfaff - Oakwood 457 934-8162) writes:

>Dean Brooks writes:
>>  Well, I do have some advice on what memory expansion NOT to buy.  I
>>had the same questions as you have about 2 months ago.  I went to my
>>nearest Amiga Dealer and bought Supra's 501-Compatible 512K Expansion Board.
>>(With Clock). Nothing but problems...
>
>Do you know specifically what was wrong with the design?  I have a supra ex-
>pansion and haven't seen these problems, but I would be interested in checking
>out the board to see if it is the same type as yours.

  Unfortunately, I never got the chance to really investigate the
problem.  I was going to have one of the technicians at work try and
find out exactly what was wrong in case it was an easy-to-fix problem,
but I was more interested in just getting a working memory expansion.  I
DO know that the actual RAM chips weren't at fault.

  As far as I can guess, there may have just been a batch of boards that
slipped past quality control at Supra and I just happened to run across
several of them.  I really dont have any other qualms with Supra, but this
experience made me hesitant to recommend this particular product.

  All in all, I dont think there is anything to worry about.  It was very
obvious that something was wrong with the board (i.e. programs crashing,
disks being trashed, guru's attacking from all sides, etc.).  You would
know if you had the same problem I had.

  Just wanted to clear it up...   Dean

--
dean@coplex.UUCP   Dean A. Brooks
                   Copper Electronics, Inc.
                   Louisville, Ky
UUCP: !mit-eddie!bloom-beacon!coplex!dean

stephen@hpdml93.HP.COM (Stephen Holmstead) (09/22/89)

[ Please do not feed the line eater! ]

Sorry if this has been asked before :-( but is there any memory
expansion device for the Amiga 500 that will use 256K SIMM's?  I have
access to a bunch of 256K SIMM's (for cheap).  Also, is there a
combination SCSI controller/Memory expansion that uses the 256K SIMM's
(I would like to add a hard drive at the same time)?

Thanks.

Stephen Holmstead
...!hplabs!hpdmlge!stephen                      //
Hewlett Packard Disk Memory Division          \X/  Amiga Forever!

"I remind you that humans are only a tiny minority in this galaxy."
	-- Spock, "The Apple," stardate 3715.6.

niobium@arrakis.nevada.edu (Christopher W. Carlson) (09/28/90)

Just one more quick question (yeah, right, you say!) about my A500.

I've got a C Ltd. SCSI interface plugged into the left side of my machine,
connected to a 62 or 63M hard drive, which has another SCSI connecter on
the rear of IT.  My question is this:  Is it still possible for me to add
more memory to my machine (besides the 512K board sitting in the bottom-
side slot), and if so, which makes of expansion will suit me?

Specifically, I'd like to have 3 or 4 more megs of RAM mounted in the
computer, or attached somewhere along the way...

Again, thanks for your time.

--* Christopher W. Carlson
--
 __   _          _  _____  _    ___       __  |  Christopher W. Carlson |   //
/ __ / \  |     / \   |   / \  |__  /  \ (__  |    niobium@nevada.edu   | \X/

crunch@hogbbs.fidonet.org (Crunch) (10/01/90)

niobium@arrakis.nevada.edu (Christopher W. Carlson) writes:

> Just one more quick question (yeah, right, you say!) about my A500.
>
> I've got a C Ltd. SCSI interface plugged into the left side of my machine,
> connected to a 62 or 63M hard drive, which has another SCSI connecter on
> the rear of IT.  My question is this:  Is it still possible for me to add
> more memory to my machine (besides the 512K board sitting in the bottom-
> side slot), and if so, which makes of expansion will suit me?
>
> Specifically, I'd like to have 3 or 4 more megs of RAM mounted in the
> computer, or attached somewhere along the way...

You could do like I am and buy a larger RAM expansion to fit into the A500
"trapdoor".  I'm getting one this week, a 4 meg Baseboard expansion, for $369
(add $25 for overnight air, $8 for second day air, $5 for C.O.D.)  Anyway, $369
is the best price I've seen it for and that's available from The Software Shop,
Inc., 22 Front St., Worcester, MA  01614.  Their number for orders is
1-800-752-0050.  Questions answered at (508) 756-6452.

Of course, after purchasing one, you'll have an A501 lying around...

Crunch @ Heart of Gold BBS (814) 238-9633                ///  \
crunch@hogbbs.fidonet.org                            \\\///----\
(814) 359-2534          What can I say?  I love my    \XX/      \ MIGA

allen@ns.network.com (Allen Middleton) (11/14/90)

I need about 1 meg of fast RAM in addition to my 1 meg chip RAM, and am
looking for recommended memory boards.  What about those offered from
Free Spirit, Expansion Technologies, or ICD.  Any opinions?