[comp.sys.amiga] Northgate Amiga keyboard 1000/2000/2500 **Review**

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (11/09/90)

This is a review of the Northgate OmniKey/PLUS keyboard for the Amiga
computer. I am not associated with Northgate in any way except as a
customer. The keyboard is intended for the Amiga 2000/2500, but can be
used with a 1000 if you build a special cable.

My Amiga 1000 keyboard started to fail. Several keys, including the
'return' key were so sticky as to be almost unusable. I tried all the
methods of cleaning it and rejuvinating it that I could think of, but
while it would get better for a while, soon keys would start to stick
again.

I had considered building an interface to connect an IBM PC keyboard to
my 1000, because I had found the interface specifications. However, it
would require a microcontroller, and I would have to write a bunch of
software to convert keyboard scan codes. It looked like a significant
amount of money would have to be spent to get it to work right.

Well, then I saw a posting in comp.sys.amiga that referred to an Amiga
keyboard made by Northgate. Northgate is a popular mail order company
that sells IBM clones, and is known for making very nice keyboards. I
called Northgate (1-800-526-2446), and the saleswoman sent me a packet
of information on Northgate keyboards that were Amiga-compatible. The
packet arrived two days after I called.

Northgate makes two Amiga-compatible keyboards. The first, the Omnikey
Ultra, is a 119 key keyboard, and has function keys on the top, and
function keys on the side. The second, the Omnikey plus, is a 107 key
keyboard with function keys on the left hand side of the keyboard. Both
have interchangeable caps lock, alt, and control keys. I use the
'emacs' text editor, and I like control on the home row, next to the
'a' character, unlike most PC keyboards, and the Amiga 1000 keyboard,
which have caps lock there. You can position it however you like with
the Northgate keyboards. The Omnikey Ultra was priced at $149, and the
Omnikey Plus was priced at $119, but was on sale for $99.00. I decided
that the extra function keys were not worth the price, so I ordered the
Ultra. When I called, I found the price had been lowered further to
$69.00. I also ordered a set of Amiga keycaps, which cost $15.00. The
keycap set is for keys not on the normal IBM layout, like the "Amiga"
keys, and "help".

I then made a cable to connect an Amiga 2000 keyboard to an Amiga 1000
keyboard jack from an old telephone handset cable and a 5 pin DIN jack.
Anyone interested in this mod can mail me or discuss it on
comp.sys.amiga.hardware. I found the details on a local BBS which had a
text file and an IFF picture on how to do it.

When I got the keyboard, I was very happy with it. It has a metal base,
and the keys have an excellent tactile feedback. The unit is heavy, and
has legs similar to those on the 1000, that you can raise or lower. The
unit is too large to fit in the 'keyboard garage', but I always thought
that the 1000's keyboard was too small.

However, when I read the manual and the packing slip, I found that
there was no mention made of the Amiga whatsoever. Since the cable was
marked 'IBM compatible', I figured they had slipped up and sent me the
wrong keyboard. I called Northgate tech support, and they told me that
the same keyboard and cable was used for both the IBM and the Amiga.
They told me how to set the DIP switches to make it an Amiga keyboard.
They were not sure exactly where the Amiga keycaps went, and didn't
seem very familiar with the Amiga. I told him that I thought the
documentation should have how to set the switches for the Amiga
version, seeing as how it had how to set it for the PC/XT, PS/2, AT&T
WGS, AT&T 6300, Tandy 1000, and Amstrad computers! He said that he
would make sure something was done about it.

I set the switches, plugged it in, and booted my Amiga. All worked fine.
I determined where the Amiga keytops went by experimenting, and removed
the IBM keycaps and placed the Amiga ones in thier place. (If you have
any questions, followup to comp.sys.amiga.hardware). I normally leave my
Amiga on all the time (so I can get netnews via UUCP). When I came back
from work the next day, some of the keys did not work on the keyboard.
Rebooting did not help. I took the keyboard to work, and set the
switches for an IBM AT, and hooked it up to a clone. It would work, and
then suddenly reboot the AT!

I called Northgate tech support, and they recommended opening up the
keyboard and reseating the cables and prom chip. I did this, and the
keyboard was still messed up. I called them back, and they gave me an
RMA number, and I returned it. They sent me a new keyboard.

Well, I got the new keyboard, put the Amiga keycaps on it, and it's been
running for several days now. I'm pleased to report that the manual that
came with it now shows how to set the DIP switches for the Amiga,
although it _still_ does not show where to put the Amiga keycaps. The
keyboard seems solid and has not given me any problems. I can't
emphasize enough what a _great_ keyboard this is mechanically. I can
type much faster on it, and it makes editing a breeze. If you do much
programming or word processing, this keyboard can make your life a lot
easier. In addition, it's a good source for an Amiga 1000 keyboard if
you took the trade in offer from Commodore and have a 1000 with no
keyboard.

I considered several replacement keyboards for my Amiga. A replacement
1000 keyboard is somewhat hard to find, and I don't like them anyway.
Amiga 2000 keyboards are pretty expensive and a bit mushy. I have seen
some ads for Amiga <-> IBM keyboard adaptors, but have not tried one.
I'm happy with my choice of the Northgate.

Northgate appears to be familiarizing itself with the Amiga and
improving its support. It is a well known reputable company, so if you
have service problems they can and will help you. The tech support is
knowledgable, and if all lines are busy, they will have someone call
you back, unlike some other companies. I like the solid feel of the
keyboard, the metal construction, and the tactile feedback that the
keys provide. I have examined the Amiga scan codes in the Northgate
manual, and in the RKM's, and they are identical. I have not found any
compatability problems at all. The keyboard appears to be built for
heavy use.

I am not associated with Northgate in any way except as a customer. All
opinions above are solely mine, and any error is mine alone.

--
| ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important than |
| ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu |  your mother." - Al Shugart, |

honp9@jetson.uh.edu (Jason L. Tibbitts III) (11/12/90)

In article <ben.3370@epmooch.UUCP>, ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) writes:
> This is a review of the Northgate OmniKey/PLUS keyboard for the Amiga

[Deleted]

> Northgate makes two Amiga-compatible keyboards. The first, the Omnikey
> Ultra, is a 119 key keyboard, and has function keys on the top, and
> function keys on the side. The second, the Omnikey plus, is a 107 key
> keyboard with function keys on the left hand side of the keyboard. Both
> have interchangeable caps lock, alt, and control keys. I use the
> 'emacs' text editor, and I like control on the home row, next to the
> 'a' character, unlike most PC keyboards, and the Amiga 1000 keyboard,
> which have caps lock there. You can position it however you like with
> the Northgate keyboards. The Omnikey Ultra was priced at $149, and the
> Omnikey Plus was priced at $119, but was on sale for $99.00. I decided
> that the extra function keys were not worth the price, so I ordered the
> Ultra. When I called, I found the price had been lowered further to
> $69.00. I also ordered a set of Amiga keycaps, which cost $15.00. The
> keycap set is for keys not on the normal IBM layout, like the "Amiga"
> keys, and "help".

What about software?  Since there are extra keys on the keyboard (F11, F12,
Page up, Page dn, Ins, Del, etc.), isn't some sort of Setmap required before
the system recognizes them?  As is necessary for the all amigas except the
A1000, as they all have the extra keypad keys.

Or are the extra keys nonfunctional?

> | ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important than |
--
\/ Jason L. Tibbitts III     // | THEnet: {George|Jane|Elroy|Judy}::HONP9
/\/"Blob Shop Programmers:  //  | SesquiNet, Telnet, etc: HONP9@JETSON.uh.edu

a708@mindlink.UUCP (Gord Wait) (11/12/90)

Will this keyboard give you access on your 1000, to keys normally found only on
the Amiga 2000 on up? I have a Midi program I bought from Dr. T called Tiger
Cub, that has some functions that are ONLY avaliable by pressing keys not found
on my Amiga 1000 keyboard (no, they didn't add these commands to the menu like
I would have...) I am concerned that I may find more software like this as the
Amiga 1000 drifts farther back in the evolutionary chain, So perhaps this
replacement keyboard would help me out.

Gord Wait

ben@servalan.uucp (Ben Mesander) (11/12/90)

In article <7590.273de7ba@jetson.uh.edu> honp9@jetson.uh.edu (Jason L. Tibbitts III) writes:

>What about software?  Since there are extra keys on the keyboard (F11, F12,
>Page up, Page dn, Ins, Del, etc.), isn't some sort of Setmap required before
>the system recognizes them?  As is necessary for the all amigas except the
>A1000, as they all have the extra keypad keys.
>
>Or are the extra keys nonfunctional?

Some of the extra keys are used for things like Left Amiga, Right Amiga, etc.

Others are taken care of via the usa1 keymap, which even Amiga 1000 owners
use unless they are using certain AmigaDOS 1.0 software. Some of them are not
used by keymap usa1. I haven't messed with them, but they keyboard's manual
does include what scancodes are returned on keyup/down for all keys. I
suppose you could pick a keymap where they did something, or make your own
with any of the various utilities to edit keymaps.

ben@epmooch.UUCP

frankjr@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Frank AnthonyJr Busalacchi) (11/13/90)

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) writes:

>$69.00. I also ordered a set of Amiga keycaps, which cost $15.00. The
>keycap set is for keys not on the normal IBM layout, like the "Amiga"
>keys, and "help".

Well I have the ULTRA keyboard, and haven't had a prob with it.  Great
keyboard.

When I got it, it didnt come with the keycaps for the amiga either.  I
thought that it was supposed to, and called tech support the next day.
I told him that I needed the keycaps for the ultra and he send them to
me....FREE OF CHARGE.

I would look into it.  I think you got screwed out of $15.00

Frank Busalacchi
Computer Science Department, Stanford University

ben@servalan.uucp (Ben Mesander) (11/14/90)

In article <3799@mindlink.UUCP> a708@mindlink.UUCP (Gord Wait) writes:
>Will this keyboard give you access on your 1000, to keys normally found only on
>the Amiga 2000 on up?

Yes, since it is an Amiga 2000 and 2500 keyboard. I just made a cable to
connect it to a 1000. This is stated in the article -> anything further on
this subject ought to be in comp.sys.amiga.hardware, as stated in my review...

ben@epmooch.UUCP

timm@public.BTR.COM (Timothy M. Maffett timm@btr.com) (11/14/90)

In article <7590.273de7ba@jetson.uh.edu> honp9@jetson.uh.edu (Jason L. Tibbitts III) writes:
>> This is a review of the Northgate OmniKey/PLUS keyboard for the Amiga
>What about software?  Since there are extra keys on the keyboard (F11, F12,
>
>Or are the extra keys nonfunctional?
>
>\/ Jason L. Tibbitts III     // | THEnet: {George|Jane|Elroy|Judy}::HONP9

   There is a file available on GEnie which includes a keymap which
allows you to take advantage of all the keys on the OmniKey/PLUS keyboard.
If there is enough interest I could put the file up on new xanth or
something....
-tim