[comp.sys.amiga] Ascii pix

n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) (11/14/90)

Anyone heard of a program to take an IFF (or gif) and convert it to an
"ascii picture" composed of ascii characters??? I hear they exist, where
can I get me one!!!

Duane

lar@pb.usl.edu (Robert, Lane A.) (11/15/90)

In article <10065@helios.TAMU.EDU> n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu
(Duane Fields) writes:
   Anyone heard of a program to take an IFF (or gif) and convert it to an
   "ascii picture" composed of ascii characters??? I hear they exist, where
   can I get me one!!!

PBM Plus can do this.  You can find the Unix source on
expo.lcs.mit.edu [18.30.0.212] in /contrib/pbmplus.tar.Z, or any place
X11R4 lives.  My Amiga port is available on pc.usl.edu [130.70.40.3] in
/pub/amiga/pbmplus/{bin,doc,src}.

To convert IFF images to ASCII, you'll need the programs ilbmtoppm,
ppmtopgm, pgmtopbm and pbmtoascii.  If you're starting with a GIF
image, use giftoppm in place of ilbmtoppm.

Lane
lar@usl.edu

djh@neuromancer.metaphor.com (Dallas J. Hodgson) (11/15/90)

In article <10065@helios.TAMU.EDU> n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) writes:
>Anyone heard of a program to take an IFF (or gif) and convert it to an
>"ascii picture" composed of ascii characters??? I hear they exist, where
>can I get me one!!!
>
>Duane

I remember a program on an early Fish Disk that would attempt to reproduce
IFF pictures in character graphics, particularly for use on daisy wheels. I
toyed with it a bit, but not much luck getting it to work. Might be worth
looking into again.

If you want to go the other way, Inset's Hijaak for the PC will actually
take text screen dumps (2K) and convert them into the GRAPHIC format of
your choice! (including ILBM's). Neat program.
| Dallas J. Hodgson               |     "This here's the wattle,             |
| Metaphor Computer Systems       |      It's the emblem of our land.        |
| Mountain View, Ca.              |      You can put it in a bottle,         |
| USENET : djh@metaphor.com       |      You can hold it in your hand."      |
| "The views I express are my own, and not necessarily those of my employer" |