[comp.sys.amiga] *** IS IT TRUE??? --> AMAX FOR PC ***

Justin_Randall_Padawer@cup.portal.com (11/11/90)

I'd heard that ReadySoft was working on a version of AMAX that
will work on the PC!!!  I'd also heard that this version will
support the Mac II ROMs!  Is this true?
Justin_Randall_Padawer@cup.portal.com

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (11/13/90)

Justin_Randall_Padawer@cup.portal.com writes:

> I'd heard that ReadySoft was working on a version of AMAX that
> will work on the PC!!!  I'd also heard that this version will
> support the Mac II ROMs!  Is this true?
> Justin_Randall_Padawer@cup.portal.com

PC? I doubt it. T don't think that any PC could do it without a major
piece of hardware, as even a '386 @ 33 mhz couldn't emulate,in real time,
a 68000 chip, let alone the 68020 in the Mac II. I *could* see this on
the Amiga, as it would be MUCH simpler. BTW, I don't think I'd buy the
new version unless it could handle the 521k ROMs.

                        Joseph Hillenburg
             Secretary, Bloomington Amiga Users Group
joseph@valnet.UUCP                        ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph
  "Only Apple could slow down a 68000 chip." -Computer Shopper

Justin_Randall_Padawer@cup.portal.com writes:

>I'd heard that ReadySoft was working on a version of AMAX that
>will work on the PC!!!  I'd also heard that this version will
>support the Mac II ROMs!  Is this true?
>Justin_Randall_Padawer@cup.portal.com

I doubt it. It would have to be some heck of a board to work on a PC.
It would basically have to be a Mac II on a board (like a bridgeboard is
an IBM-PC on a board for amigas), bacause PC's are NOTHING like a Mac.

On the Amiga, most of the basic hardware is there, most notably, the 68000
CPU, which is suspiciously missing on an Intel machine :-)

If they did make such a beastie, it would cost as much as a Mac II, well,
considering Apple's prices, maybe a bit less. And don't forget, Apple is
drying up the supply of Mac ROMs.

[I wonder what Ready Soft is planning on doing about that. I bet there will
be a hefty black market in Apple ROMs. Psst, hey buddy, wanna buy some
128K Mac ROMs? Only $499...]

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Paul) (11/14/90)

If it is true I'm sure glad that I don't have to write the code! Converting
68000 code to the x86 would not be a fun job! It would also be slow as a dog.
The rest of the mac system would be easy to port.

--
Amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu	            .....Paul......

Listen to what I mean, not what I say.

jayward@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Jay Ward) (11/15/90)

In article <39642@ut-emx.uucp> amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Paul) writes about Amax on the PC:
>If it is true I'm sure glad that I don't have to write the code! Converting
>68000 code to the x86 would not be a fun job! It would also be slow as a dog.
>The rest of the mac system would be easy to port.
>

>--
>Amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu	            .....Paul......

Considering the current prices of 68000s, it would seem to me the most logical
way to go about it would be to place a 68000 on a card along with some other
circuitry as well as the sockets for the Mac ROMs.  Viola!  Instant Mac.
(With some support software, of course)

I'm no hardware genius, so this is merely speculation!! :-)

Jay Ward --> jayward@eecs.cs.pdx.edu      | "A waist...
             jayward@jove.cs.pdx.edu      |     is a terrible thing to mind"

slfields@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Scott L Fields) (11/15/90)

In article <662@pdxgate.UUCP> jayward@eecs.UUCP (Jay Ward) writes:
>In article <39642@ut-emx.uucp> amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Paul) writes about Amax on the PC:
>>If it is true I'm sure glad that I don't have to write the code! Converting
>>68000 code to the x86 would not be a fun job! It would also be slow as a dog.
>>The rest of the mac system would be easy to port.
>Considering the current prices of 68000s, it would seem to me the most logical
>way to go about it would be to place a 68000 on a card along with some other
>circuitry as well as the sockets for the Mac ROMs.  Viola!  Instant Mac.
>(With some support software, of course)
Heck, that is the easiest solution. Hardware is not necessarily the hardest part
of the board. Software would be a little tricky if you want it to look and work
good. I believe the most elegant solution would be to use hooks into windows 3
and have the mac display as a window on the IBM side. This could be a really
neat device but the problem is wether it would be cost effective. The board
would most likely cost around $500 and your only likely to get mac+ capability.
That is close to the price you can get a mac+ for. I don't know if it would
really be worth it.

jdege@ (Jeff Dege) (11/15/90)

In article <662@pdxgate.UUCP> jayward@eecs.UUCP (Jay Ward) writes:

>Considering the current prices of 68000s, it would seem to me the most logical
>way to go about it would be to place a 68000 on a card along with some other
>circuitry as well as the sockets for the Mac ROMs.  Viola!  Instant Mac.
>(With some support software, of course)
>
>I'm no hardware genius, so this is merely speculation!! :-)

   There are already 68000 expansion boards available for the PC.  I remember
talking to a guy who ran OS/9 on one.  Anybody know of a good Mac emulator
for OS/9?

------------------------------------

kdarling@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (11/15/90)

>> [ talk of Mac emulation on PC ]
>
> There are already 68000 expansion boards available for the PC.  I remember
> talking to a guy who ran OS/9 on one.  Anybody know of a good Mac emulator
> for OS/9?

Umm, not that I know of.  OS-9/Mac runs under MultiFinder (you can have
multiple OS9 shell windows, and exchange Mac<->OS9 files), but I've not
heard of running the Mac OS under OS-9.

Don't Mac emulators take over the 68000 altogether anyway?  Or do some
coexist with the native OS?  And do they require a monochrome ( 1-bitplane)
screen?  I've been dying to ask those three questions ;-)  thx! - kev