[comp.sys.amiga] Montgomery Grant Evil?

greg@pluto.dss.com (Greg McAdoo) (11/14/90)

In article <1990Nov13.193513.22340@usenet.ins.cwru.edu>, njg2@po.CWRU.Edu (J. Norell Guttman) writes:
> 				Please no flames about Montgomery
> 				Grant: I know they are evil but I
> 				just used them to quote prices!

  A group of us are considering a bulk purchase of Amiga 3000s from this
outfit. Is there something we should know???.

					Thanks in advance,
							Greg McAdoo

kiniry@gauss.Berkeley.EDU (Joe Kiniry) (11/15/90)

Yes, there is something you should know.  My sources tell me that MG isn't
running a very good buisness.  They purchase a large volume of machines from
buisnesses who desperately need capital and movement in their stock to keep
prices from Commordore stable, and sell them grey market.  This means that
ANY COMMODORE MACHINE PURCHASE FROM MONTGOMERY GRANT WILL HAVE NO WARRENTY.
You will not be able to get any dealer to repair the machine under warrenty
because MG is not an authorized Commodore dealership.  This is important.
True, if you don't care about the 1 year warrenty, then their prices are out-
standing (I bought my Amiga 2000 from them a year ago, but I also puchased a
service contract.) but I would _strongly_ suggest that you purchase your
machines from a dealer FACE TO FACE.  In fact, Commodore is attempting to get
rid of ALL MAIL ORDER PURCHASING.  The dealer must meet the customer face to
face to sell them a legal (read all warrenties ok) machine.  Of course, if you
go by a store ~400 miles away from home, talk to the people there, then call
them 2 months later wanting them to ship you a machine, that is fine.  They
have spoken with you face to face and they can sell you a machine.  I think
that a personal, knowledgable dealership is well worth the extra 5 or even 10
percent you may have to pay for goods.  They can help you, that's what they
are there for.  BTW, FSU computer store is an authorized Commodore sales store.

Joseph Kiniry

<all standard disclaimers apply>

stx@vax1.mankato.msus.edu (11/15/90)

In article <4078@pluto.dss.com>, greg@pluto.dss.com (Greg McAdoo) writes:

>   A group of us are considering a bulk purchase of Amiga 3000s from this
> outfit. Is there something we should know???.
>

> 					Thanks in advance,
> 							Greg McAdoo
 There was quite recently a thread devoted entirely to Montgomery Grant.
Of the numerous stories posted only one person had no complaints.
In all fairness I have not dealt with Montgomery Grant but I have heard enough
horror stories to advise you NOT to buy through them.

mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) (11/15/90)

 	I second your views about purchasing from a DEALER.  ESPECIALLY
	when buying an expensive piece of equipment!  You wouldn't want
	to trust your children to a mail-order baby-sitter.... Don't trust
	your Amy to a 'business-with-no-face'....  Granted, some mail-order
	places do good business, but they are VERY poor at representing
	the Amiga to the buying public.  Those dealers that have had
	the courage to support the Amiga all these years, fighting on the front
	lines to inmform a very ignorant public that there are computers other
	than Mac's and IBM clones.... well, they need your support.  And in
	return, they will support you.  Some dealers don't have very good
	support, but they are in the minority.  Most are quite comitted
	to their REAL customers (many mail-order purchasers stop by the
	delers to get FREE help.... WHAT NERVE!) and will do a lot of hand
	holding when needed.  I owe a LOT to my dealer for the great support
	that I have received over the years.....

	SOmething to think about....

	-Mike-