[comp.sys.amiga] NeXT's are "different" in terms of development?

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (11/15/90)

In article <15500071@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>Softare on the NeXT has to be _devoloped_ because of the depth
>and power of the machine.  Amiga code is _written_.  _Writing_ programs for
>the Amiga using concepts that have been around on other machines for years is
>not a terribly trying task.

Bullshit.  Learn to program in something other than Interface Builder
on at least two different OSes before you make such ludicrously stupid
remarks.

Porting FrameMaker to the NeXT should be trivial at best:  FrameMaker
exists under X, the NeXT runs ~UN*X, what's the problem?  I've
take X code back and forth between various UN*X boxes without ever having
to "develop" anything.  (Just have to figure out how X is broken on
each machine. :-)

Developing code is developing code, regardless of the machine/OS.  Porting
code is a different issue, and going from a Sun-3 to a NeXT should be
*NO* fucking problem whatsoever.  Framemaker even runs on tinkertoy
Macs!  (Why anyone would want to run Framemaker on anything slower than
a SparcStaion-1 is beyond me, however.  My SS-2 shows up next week,
thankfully. :-)

Just in case you didn't get it the first time:  There's nothing magic
about the NeXT that makes you have to "develop" code vs. "writing" code
for the 'miga.  It's *more* difficult to write Amiga-specific code,
because you have to decide how to take advantage of all the native hardware.

Porting assignment:  GNU Emacs to the NeXT vs. GNU Emacs to the Amiga.
To the NeXT is a port.  To the Amiga is non-trivial port, but a port
nonetheless. (Find a curses emulation library and use GCC would be
my advice were you to attempt such a port.)

Developing assignment:  Write a GNU Emacs clone for either the NeXT
or the Amiga.

Understand the difference?

I'd give you a clue, but I loaned mine to Da Silva (he gave all his away :-).

--
J. Eric Townsend     Internet: jet@uh.edu    Bitnet: jet@UHOU
Systems Manager - University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics - (713) 749-2120

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (11/16/90)

Question. I've heard about FrameMaker, but what is it? I assume it is
like a spreadsheet. [Vendex was giving FrameMaker away with the HeadStart
III]

                        Joseph Hillenburg
             Secretary, Bloomington Amiga Users Group
joseph@valnet.UUCP                        ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph
  "Only Apple could slow down a 68000 chip." -Computer Shopper