[comp.sys.amiga] Micro TV???

ghost@bucsf.bu.edu (Jay Adelson) (11/08/90)

Does anyone know if there are any plans out there to make a "Micro TV"
for the amiga?

Micro TV ( I think that's the name)  is an application which will allow
you to watch TV in a window on the screen while doing whatever...

[   Jay Adelson        | BIX: j.adelson   ]  [   T.G.C.                       ]
[   ghost@bucsf.bu.edu | Channel One:     ]  [   1039 Commonwealth Ave. #18   ]
[   GEnie: J.ADELSON1  |    Jay Adelson   ]  [   Boston, MA. 02215-1008       ]

hgm@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Hal G. Meeks) (11/08/90)

I've been wondering if something like this might not be done with a Live!
card. I envision a little 4 grayscale workbench window, that is updated
about 10 times a second. The Live! comes with a library of functions that
are reasonably well documented, but I'm not sure if overall performance on
the machine would be severely crippled to the point that it would nothing
more than a curiosity.

I may at some point be enough of a programmer to tackle this. Have to get
back to my K&R ;-).

--hal
--
hgm@ccvr1.cc.ncsu.edu          "You'll never catch up.
netoprhm@ncsuvm.bitnet          Dad--pass the catsup"

msiskin@us.cc.umich.edu (Marc Siskin) (11/08/90)

(Re: getting a device like the Micro TV for the Amiga)

Dummies!!!!!  You can do that already if you have a VCR with Line out (most
have it) and an inexpensive amiga genlock.  All you have to do is not show
the background color in composite mode assuming you have one of CBM's
many rgb/composite combination monitors.  I did this for a while until my
boss said that since she couldn't work and watch TV at the same time I
couldn't.

          Marc Siskin
          Senior Media Designer
          Language Lab U. of Michigan

Msiskin@css.itd.umich.edu
Marc_Siskin@ub.cc.umich.edu
userhebe@umichub

dak@pro-graphics.cts.com (DAK Productions) (11/10/90)

Well, it' snot quite the same, but if you route the video and audio from your
tuner to the composite side of your monitor you COULD toggle between work an
TV. I had to do this during a football game while trying to finish up a job on
my

jc@cel.co.uk (jerry cullingford) (11/13/90)

In article <GHOST.90Nov7132016@bucsf.bu.edu> ghost@bucsf.bu.edu (Jay Adelson) writes:

>Does anyone know if there are any plans out there to make a "Micro TV"
>for the amiga?
>
>Micro TV ( I think that's the name)  is an application which will allow
>you to watch TV in a window on the screen while doing whatever...

Some suggestions:

(1) Why bother? It seems a little silly to me, but if you really want to
watch TV:

(2) Use a genlock and a Picture-in-picture VCR. Put a transparent amiga
window over the PIP display.

(3) Buy one of the tiny LCD portable TVs - its probably cheaper, or

(4) Put your existing TV next to your amiga monitor.

option (3) is likely to be a cheaper - and better - way of doing things than
a "micro TV" system. no processor overhead, more colours, and cheaper too,
given the volumes they make.

Can anyone come up with a useful application for a "micro TV" system? I suspect
macs don't genlock too easily, so maybe that's why this was developed.. or is
it basically just a fast framegrabber? surely nobody would use something like
this just for watching TV? !!!!!?

	-Jerry
--
+-----------------------------------+-----------------------------+     |
+-----------------------------------+-----------------------------+ \___/

hgm@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Hal G. Meeks) (11/13/90)

In article <6992@suns201.cel.co.uk> jc@cel.co.uk (jerry cullingford) writes:
>Can anyone come up with a useful application for a "micro TV" system? I suspect
>macs don't genlock too easily, so maybe that's why this was developed.. or is
>it basically just a fast framegrabber? surely nobody would use something like
>this just for watching TV? !!!!!?

Actually, I've given a bit more thought, and have come up with one good use
for a software controllable "picture in a picture" system.

If you are designing a interactive learning system, using Amigavision or
what-have-you, having such a device could have some neat uses. Instead of
layering your buttons on top of incoming video using a genlock, the incoming
video could be shrunk to a window integrated inside your system. It would be
movable, and resizable. It would be a simple matter to replay segments at a
user definable frame rate (although a laser disk, to some extent, can do
this) by buffering the incoming video. This would also allow for hardcopy
output. Users could cut and paste elements in the window. For that matter, a
small paint application would allow users to paint inside the window, to
accentuate elements. Output could be either IFF's or ANIM format files, for
later study. A big hard disk and fast SCSI controller would be very useful.

There are single products, that combined, would give you some of these
capabilites. The nice thing about this is it is combined into one
application, and is fully software controllable.

I realise that all of this is pretty nebulous, and will most likely be
shot through of holes. I offer it only as idle speculation.

My understanding of the MicroTV system is that it is a TV tuner on a card,
that overlays itself on top on the normal Mac signal via a passthru
arrangement of some sort. This is not quite what I have in mind.

--hal

--
hgm@ccvr1.cc.ncsu.edu	"..now that Mac way of doing things has taken hold,
netoprhm@ncsuvm.bitnet   will we ever be able to get rid of it?"

siri@otc.otca.oz (Siri Hewa) (11/15/90)

In article <6992@suns201.cel.co.uk> jc@cel.co.uk (jerry cullingford) writes:
>In article <GHOST.90Nov7132016@bucsf.bu.edu> ghost@bucsf.bu.edu (Jay Adelson) writes:
>>
>>Does anyone know if there are any plans out there to make a "Micro TV"
>>for the amiga?
>>
>>Micro TV ( I think that's the name)  is an application which will allow
>>you to watch TV in a window on the screen while doing whatever...

>(1) Why bother? It seems a little silly to me, but if you really want to
>watch TV:

>(2) Use a genlock and a Picture-in-picture VCR. Put a transparent amiga
>window over the PIP display.

I think Jerry do not know what the original question was.Having a video picture
in a window is quite new technology,since most of the mac third party hardware
are not quite real time as they claim to be.These are digitised real time,not
just genlock as some think.We do lots of reasearch in to this as we can see in
future when B-ISDN (1995?),is available?,you can have real time video data base
that can access from anywhere.Although multimedia applications are there as
well.We already have experimental video links with raw fibre around the
building,which link some computers.
Mac live video bd's are,RasterOps.radius tv,DVA4000,and experimental Supermac,
which is really superb.
Out of the first three radius is a better one due to the fact that it does not
rely om mac nubus,but need a 24 bit graphic card.
I wrote this because I want to see same type of bd's for Amiga to be
develop.And I think rasterOps are trying at the moment.(Can any one confirm).I
have been tall that Amiga window and mac window multitasking is quite
different,and using same design,on Amiga is difficult.(Please I need more feed
back on this one).Dont forget about video compression that come with these
cards as well.

Siri Hewa.

!!!!OTC!! R&D VISUAL COMMUNICATIONS.

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (11/16/90)

Another option, if you want to spend some money, is the device from RGB
Spectrum called RGB/View.

It's an external box for workstation users that lets you have a window on your
hires display of live video.  I'd assume you need an A2024, or A2340 to get
this one to work.  It's functional on displays from 1024 x 768 - 1280 x 1024,
interlaced or non-interlaced (44-90kHz non-interlaced, 22-45kHz interlaced).

It provides support for NTSC, PAL, component RGB (rs170 or EBU), EGA, VGA, and
875 line interlaced rs343.  The EGA - rs343 are special order.

Window can be positioned (front panel, or through software), scaled, clipped
(?), or overlayed.

NO IMPACT ON COMPUTER BUS RESOURCES.

100% compatible with all software.

Video window programmed through rs232 port (cool!).

...sorry, don't have a price on this puppy.  But you can bet it's in the $2K
and up range.

If you don't have the bucks for this one, but you've got a flickerFixer,
A2330, or A3000, there's the RGB/Videolink 600A/600AX.  This one works on 640
x 480 screens from 21.5 - 35kHz.  Uses DSP to eliminate flicker.  Realtime
scan conversion.  Full 24bits of color.  NO IMPACT ON COMPUTER BUS RESOURCES.

Again, no price.  But if you'd like to give'em a call:

RGB Spectrum, 415-848-0180 (California).

Sean

I don't represent them...never used their products...and other BS to save my
skin :)

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil |     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                | Dual A3000 based, custom
                                Help keep the  |    computer graphics,
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham    competition // | animation, presentation,
      Voice: (512) 992-2810         under \X/  |  simulation,  accident-
                                               |  scene re-creation, and
  "Does anyone remember laughter?" Robert Plant|   recreation...(whew!)