[comp.sys.amiga] amiga-relay, vote schedule, and Re: Splitting c.s.a

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes [about the split up
of comp.sys.amiga]:

> When are we going to get around to voting on new newsgroups? The
> amount of articles and wasted bandwidth (such as this one 8-) is just
> too high!

Per the guidelines for creating new groups, the discussion period lasts
three weeks. The Call For Discussion was sent to the moderator of
news.announce.newgroups the first weekend in November, and posted by him
in the wee hours of Monday, 5 November. I plan to send a Call For Votes
to him the fourth weekend in November (probably Thanksgiving weekend),
so you should expect it to be posted in news.announce.newgroups about
the 26th of November, if the holidays don't slow things down. Voting
will then run for three weeks. If all goes perfectly, the newgroup
messages should be out before Christmas.

There has been very limited discussion of the proposals in news.groups;
a couple of complaints about the names, a couple of defenses answering
those complaints, and that's about it. I suppose I should be happy that
there is so little controversy, but it makes me a bit uneasy about
getting the required vote totals that so little interest is being shown.
This is a _major_ piece of surgery, does anyone care?

By the way, good news, the moderator of amiga-relay at udel.edu finally
contacted me, and it is his plan to split amiga-relay into separate two
way relays for each subgroup of c.s.a.*, which will remove the annoyance
of games and other postings funneling back to c.s.a (in a meta-sense,
since that group will no longer exist).

The only difficulty is deciding what to do about cross-postings. I hope
that folks will follow my plan of holding discussions appropriate for
many of the subgroups just in c.s.a.misc, rather than cross-posting the
whole discussion, since the only plan that seems feasible for the relay
is to send a copy of the cross-posted article to each group, which will
be a lot of wasted email traffic if the cross-posting percent cannot be
brought down from its current 5% level.

I have redirected followups to news.groups, the appropriate current venue
for this discussion.
                                                           /// It's Amiga
                                                          /// for me:  why
Kent, the man from xanth.                             \\\///   settle for
<xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>   \XX/  anything less?
--
Convener, ongoing comp.sys.amiga grand reorganization.

jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) writes:

>Personally, I'd suggest that the relay should *NEVER* pass any
>cross-posted message through.  If it's really important enough to send
>to multiple groups, then post manually to additional groups, *AFTER*
>trying to get a reply from the most logical group.

All that will do is cost everyone extra disk space saving multiple copies
of the same posting. If someone want's to post in several groups, they
will, whether crossposting is available or not. At least with crossposting
you only have to have one copy of the article on disk.

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,