[comp.sys.amiga] HELP: INSTALLBEEP+BASIC

NJ_GOKEM%FANDM.BITNET@pucc.princeton.edu (11/16/90)

Hi, outthere,

I have a system set up with installbeep in the startup sequence.
This will play a beep, rather then flashing the screen at an error.

But unfortunately, I use BASIC once in a while (draw sinewaves, fourier etc)
and it has a beep built-in with its screen flash.
Now that crashes the computer!
Gomf catches it, but can't solve it.
the Error is a LINE F SIMULATION, and occurs in one of the sound-channel
interrupts (says Xoper)
What can I do to get rid of this stupid CRASH!!!
(Is it possible to deactivat installbeep, or give it a low-low priority orso?)

Any help is welcome, Nils Gokemeijer (NJ_GOKEMEIJE@FANDM.bitnet)

new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) (11/17/90)

In article <36506@nigel.ee.udel.edu> NJ_GOKEM%FANDM.BITNET@pucc.princeton.edu writes:
>What can I do to get rid of this stupid CRASH!!!
>(Is it possible to deactivat installbeep, or give it a low-low priority orso?)

I've found that multiple beeps at once or a beep while some other program
is beeping can wedge my machine when I'm running InstallBeep. My only
solution was to remove InstallBeep.  The problem occurs when BASIC and
something else both beep at the same time, yes?          -- Darren
--
--- Darren New --- Grad Student --- CIS --- Univ. of Delaware ---
----- Network Protocols, Graphics, Programming Languages,

In <36573@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
>In article <36506@nigel.ee.udel.edu> NJ_GOKEM%FANDM.BITNET@pucc.princeton.edu writes:
>>What can I do to get rid of this stupid CRASH!!!
>>(Is it possible to deactivat installbeep, or give it a low-low priority orso?)
>
>I've found that multiple beeps at once or a beep while some other program
>is beeping can wedge my machine when I'm running InstallBeep. My only
>solution was to remove InstallBeep.  The problem occurs when BASIC and
>something else both beep at the same time, yes?          -- Darren

I ran across this ages ago when I wrote 'setbeep'. My error was in opening the
device in the main program, and then using it in the SetFunction()ed routine,
assuming that only one beep would happen at a time. Unfortunately, the call to
DisplayBeep that I intercepted can be called from anywhere, causing the program
to try to use the device twice, resulting in a GURU.

AmigaBasic, I found out, calls DisplayBeep twice in rapid succession, showing
the proble consistently.

-larry

--
The only things to survive a nuclear war will be cockroaches and IBM PCs.