[comp.sys.amiga] low-level formatting

nishan@uop.edu (Nishan Sandhar) (11/17/90)

When installing a new hard disk, straight from the manufacturer, is it
necessary to low-level format it?

Also, the prep program on the gvp series 2 controller does the amiga-dos
format for a 40 meg partition  in about 5 seconds!  Is it perhaps using the
quick format switch or something?  Is it safe to use quick format when the
prepping software prepares the drive for the first time?

Please e-mail replies to nishan@uop.edu, because I do not read the news very
often.  If there is a request for summary, I'll post it soon.....

|   Nishan Sandhar |  University of the Pacific  |
|   nishan@uop.edu |  Stockton, CA  95211        |

In <27442ef9.1d0a@uop.uop.edu>, nishan@uop.edu (Nishan Sandhar) writes:
>When installing a new hard disk, straight from the manufacturer, is it
>necessary to low-level format it?
>
>Also, the prep program on the gvp series 2 controller does the amiga-dos
>format for a 40 meg partition  in about 5 seconds!  Is it perhaps using the
>quick format switch or something?  Is it safe to use quick format when the
>prepping software prepares the drive for the first time?
>
>Please e-mail replies to nishan@uop.edu, because I do not read the news very
>often.  If there is a request for summary, I'll post it soon.....

This is about the fourth question I have seen today, asking for 'email because
I don't read the news often'. I bypassed the others, and was tempted to bypass
this one too, foir a number of reasons. First, I think that if you ask a
question, and the answer is of general interest, it is better to have the
answer posted to the net for the benefit of all. Second, it is far easier for
me to just hit the function key within CED to reply to a message than it is to
try to dig out the proper mailing address, hoping all the while that the one I
decide to use will actually work. Third, I think that if you want the benefit
of having questions answered, you might be better off reading the news, since
your question might already have been answered.

At any rate, to low level format or not... depends on the drive. If it is
already low level formatted, as are most embedded SCSI drives, there is no need
to redo it.

An Amigados format can safely be done with the QUICK flag on a disk that is low
level formatted. The only advantage to using a full format is that if you have
to later run something like DiskSalv, it will not find all sorts of loose files
that were on the disk if it was previusly used on an Amiga (yours or someone
else's). Directories and files are not actually erased when they are deleted,
so they remain on the disk, but outside the file system links.

-larry

--
The only things to survive a nuclear war will be cockroaches and IBM PCs.