[comp.sys.amiga] The USGS Earthquake Animations

a468@mindlink.UUCP (Graham Parkinson) (11/15/90)

Does anyone recall an address or phone number for the
producers of the United States Geological Survey
Amiga Animations of earthquake swarms along the
San Andreas fault system?
  Our local Geophysical society would be interested
in seeing this if we could get ahold of a copy of the video.  Some of our
members are actively programming
on the Amiga - interpretation packages for shallow seismic
refraction, resistivity and data presentation...etc
so interest is quite high on this.
       Any one with a better memory than myself?
       I know that there was a note about a year
       ago stating that the video was available.
*  Graham Parkinson - Frontier GeoSciences, Vancouver BC CANADA  *
*  uunet Graham_Parkinson@Mindlink.UUCP                          *

paulz@hpspdra.HP.COM (Paul Zander) (11/17/90)

The local USGS office made the video of last years earthquake using an
Amiga.  They have many items for sale, including (I think, the video
tape)

They have a lot of phone numbers, but try this one for maps and books
between 8 AM and 4PM Pacific time (415) 329-4390.  They also have an
informantion center listed as (415)329-4309.

fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (11/17/90)

In article <3820@mindlink.UUCP>, a468@mindlink.UUCP (Graham Parkinson) writes:
> Does anyone recall an address or phone number for the
> producers of the United States Geological Survey
> Amiga Animations of earthquake swarms along the
> San Andreas fault system?
>   Our local Geophysical society would be interested
> in seeing this if we could get ahold of a copy of the video.  Some of our
> members are actively programming
> on the Amiga - interpretation packages for shallow seismic
> refraction, resistivity and data presentation...etc
> so interest is quite high on this.
>        Any one with a better memory than myself?
>        I know that there was a note about a year
>        ago stating that the video was available.

	Memory is not any better but I DID save the article.  Here it is.

             ____ ____    ___
Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
Internet: fac2@dayton.saic.com             uucp: dayvb!fac2

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Animation of the 17-Oct-89 earthquake done on an Amiga.
From: jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith)
Date: 19 May 90 03:56:57 GMT

Fred Klein of the USGS created a video animation showing the location,
duration, and sizes of earthquakes during 1989, including the 17-Oct-89 quake.
The entire animation was done on a Commodore Amiga, and mastered to 1" tape.
A duplicating company in Palo Alto has the master and makes copies on demand
in almost any format.  There is a price discount if you order more than one.

	"Graphic Animation - Loma Prieta tape"
	$19.95 for 1 VHS copy, $14.75 each additional copy
	$5.00 shipping charge, CA residents add 7% sales tax

Call the duplicating company for more details.

	Video Transform
	2450 Embarcadero Way
	Palo Alto, CA 94303
	(415)494-1529

They have two tapes on Loma Prieta, be sure to ask for the "Graphic
Animation, USGS Open File Report 89-669".  Fred said the contents of the
tapes are redistributable as they were created using public funds.  Video
Transform is charging for the duplicating service.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms
Newsgroups: ca.earthquakes
Subject: Re: Tectonics
Date: 16 May 90 21:00:31 GMT

In an earlier response mlewis@sco.COM (Marshall Lewis) wrote:

>... One piece of video
>in particular caught my attention which shows a computer generated
>map of the whole Bay area. Beginning a week or so before the Oct. 17th
>quake till a couple days after, epicenters were displayed on the map
>with the time compressed to about 15 seconds....

Has the availability of this video tape from the USGS been discussed
here?  I saw the whole tape played at an Amiga users group meeting
(it was done with an Amiga), and I learned more about earthquakes in
that 22 minutes than in months of reading this news group.  (But not
a lot more.)  The 3-D views of the fault structure and the locations
and sequences of swarms of after shocks in color and smooth animation
were incredibly informative, not to mention beautiful.  There is even
music behind the narration (but no sound effects :-).  While the events
are being shown, the observer's position is swept around as if in a
helicopter to the best vantage points, even underground, looking upward.
This thing may deserve an Oscar, if there is an appropriate category.

Anyway, the tape is $19.95 + $5.00 shipping and handling from Video
Transform, 2450 Embarcadero Way, Palo Alto, CA 94303, (415) 494-1529 in
VHS NTSC format.  It is also available in PAL and SECAM, and in 8mm,
S-VHS, 3/4 inch, Betacam, Betacam SP, and 1 inch formats (for lots
more money), and cheaper in quantity.  It goes by the name "USGS Open
File Report 89-669".
--
Mike Fischer   mikef@hpspd.hp.com   (415) 857-6444   HP Stanford Park R&D
[End of included article]