[comp.sys.amiga] lharc v1.30 available at abcfd20

kim@uts.amdahl.com (Kim E. DeVaughn) (11/17/90)

[ "Send lawyers, guns, and money ..." ]

Thanks to whoever uploaded the latest version of lharc to the /incoming/amiga
directory on abcfd20!

There are numerous improvements, and some significant new options that improve
its capabilities in several ways.  Many thanks to Paolo Zibetti, who has been
VERY responsive to my suggestions, and who has provided an *excellent* utility!

From the Changes document for v1.30:

---------------
 -Version 1.30 25-Oct-1990

-Slightly faster

-The new -i switch lets Lharc read the list of files to be archived/extracted
 from a file (including stdin, so that, for example,  you can easily select
 the files to be added	with some utility like 'grep' or 'find' and then
 pipe the list of files to Lharc).

-The new -d switch tells Lharc to set the date of the archive to the date of
 the most recent file included in the archive.

-The new -c switch lets you archive/extract files in interactiove mode: for
 each file you'll be asked something like "Compress? (yes, no, all, none)"

-Greatly enhanced sorting functions: you can now choose between case
 sensitive and case-insensitive alpha-sorting; you can even choose between
 gobal sorting and sorting local to each subdirectory. (see the -S switch)

-Lharc can now store empty directories: this allows you to perfectly
 recreate a directory tree (very useful for software developers who want
 to use Lharc for reducing the number of their distribution disks (but please
 see Lharc.doc for commercial use of Lharc!))
 See the -r switch for details and remeber that archives containing empty
 dirs are NOT compatible with MSDOS-Lharc

-By popular demand, the -a switch is now activated by default, i.e. Amiga
 file attributes will be preserved by default. Use -a0 to turn this
 feature off.

-Fine tuned for taking better advantage of big I/O buffers: specifiing a
 big I/O buffer with the -b switch could, in some circumstances, cause an
 overhead that actually slowed down operations: this problem has been
 reduced in this version.

-A more intelligent command line parser reduces the risk of performing
 unwanted operations (such as deleting the entire content of an archive) by
 mistake.

-Newly created archives have now the flags ----rw-d rather than ----rwed
 (since an archive is not an executable!)

-Corrected a bug in the alpha-sorting routine that caused files to be
 sometimes incorrectly sorted.

-Other minor bugs removed.

Please refer to Lharc.doc for a more complete explaination of these new
fatures.
---------------

BTW, Paolo *can* be reached via the Intenet/UUCP address of:

    Paolo.Zibetti@p6.f101.n331.z2.fidonet.org

and he does respond to email as time permits.  I was amazed that my email
actually reached him using the above, and that he could actually get email
back to me!

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@uts.amdahl.com   -OR-   ked01@juts.ccc.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (11/18/90)

In article <775d02lNe8.M01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> kim@uts.amdahl.com (Kim E. DeVaughn) writes:
> Thanks to whoever uploaded the latest version of lharc to the /incoming/amiga
> directory on abcfd20!

Now available as /amiga/archivers/lharc-1.30.lzh

	...tad

ked01@ccc.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (11/18/90)

In article <775d02lNe8.M01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> I wrote:

> Thanks to whoever uploaded the latest version of lharc to the /incoming/amiga
> directory on abcfd20!
>
> -Newly created archives have now the flags ----rw-d rather than ----rwed
>  (since an archive is not an executable!)

Alas.  I've found that this only works if the archive is created in ram:.  If
created elsewhere (rad:, vd0:, df0:, or on a FFS partition), it still sets the
bits to "rwed".  A minor (though slightly annoying) bug.

/kim