[comp.sys.amiga] 24bit vs 8bit.

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (11/18/90)

In article <1990Nov18.045051.16966@engin.umich.edu> gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
>Not quite 24 bit, but VERY, VERY nice nevertheless.  At these kinds of
>resolutions, 8 bits is great, 24 bit color is only needed in the most demanding
>of applications.

Depends on what you consider "demanding".  8bit < HAM < 24bit in
more than a few situations, especially when you start using megapixel
displays.  I was previewing my raytracer output on my Amiga (instead of
my 8bitplay SparcStation) because the following scene caused color "tiling":
-  One white sphere with a diffuse coef. of 1.0
-  Three lamps placed 60 deg apart, one red, one blue, one green, with
the intersection of the lights the center of the sphere at the
observation point.
This generates a scene of a sphere with a sort of "color wheel" on the
surface primaries at the edges blending as they approach the middle.

And it sucks hard on an 8bit display.  It looks ok on a HAM display.
It looks "correct" on a 24bit display.

While I'm glad CBM has finally brought out a "true" 8bit display,
I hope they create a 24bit display.  I'd hate to have to do commercial
video w/ only 8bits.  (So, I bought a Mimetics for the short haul...)

(Now, where's a VME cage for the Amiga so I can use our now outdated
Sun TAAC board? 1/2 :-)
--
J. Eric Townsend     Internet: jet@uh.edu    Bitnet: jet@UHOU
Systems Manager - University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics - (713) 749-2120