[comp.sys.amiga] Mac GIF to Amiga IFF ??

nealet@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Neale Type) (11/09/90)

I would like to know if there is a convert utility to interchange MAC GIF
pictures and Amiga IFF pictures??
I know utilities exist to convert sound and fonts between the two machines,
does a picture convert utility exist??

Thanks
Neale

Neale Type , Computing Service      ///   | "May the Balrog find you tasty."
University of Sussex, Falmer    \\\///    |     nealet @ syma.sussex.ac.uk
England.   BN1 9QH               \X//     |      ccfe7 @ cluster.sussex.ac.uk

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (11/11/90)

nealet@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Neale Type) writes:

> I would like to know if there is a convert utility to interchange MAC GIF
> pictures and Amiga IFF pictures??
> I know utilities exist to convert sound and fonts between the two machines,
> does a picture convert utility exist??
> Thanks
> Neale

GIF isn't a Mac format. It is one thay Compu$erve developed for pics to
be shared to all machines. In any case, your best best would be either
The Art Department, and the GIF loader module, or wait a little while and
get Art Department Pro, which, I think, has the GIF module with it.
However, if you don't want to spend lots of $$$$, and just want to get
something for casual use, ftp to mars.ee.msstate.edu and get
/files/Amiga.Misc/hamsharp.lzh.
> --
> Neale Type , Computing Service      ///   | "May the Balrog find you tasty."
> University of Sussex, Falmer    \\\///    |     nealet @ syma.sussex.ac.uk
> England.   BN1 9QH               \X//     |      ccfe7 @ cluster.sussex.ac.uk

Joseph Hillenburg, Secretary, Bloomington Amiga Users Group (BAUG)
joseph@valnet.UUCP                         ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph
"Only Apple could slow down a 68000 chip." -Computer Shopper

king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King) (11/15/90)

In article <3761@syma.sussex.ac.uk> nealet@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Neale Type) writes:
>I would like to know if there is a convert utility to interchange MAC GIF
>pictures and Amiga IFF pictures??

You want the pbmplus utilities, available by anonymous ftp at
abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov.  They'll convert damn near any graphics format into
damn near any other.  Even includes a filter to output ASCII graphics.

	Thu  20-Jun-90  18:26:32   963642  incoming/amiga/pbmplus.lzh

--
---------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
All power corrupts, but we need electricity.       |        Steven King
                                                   |     Motorola Cellular
                                     (D. W. Jones) |   ...uunet!motcid!king

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (11/16/90)

In article <3761@syma.sussex.ac.uk> nealet@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Neale Type) writes:
>I would like to know if there is a convert utility to interchange MAC GIF
>pictures and Amiga IFF pictures??
>I know utilities exist to convert sound and fonts between the two machines,
>does a picture convert utility exist??

There are many PD programs available to covert GIF images into IFF. However,
for the  best quality I would  suggest the  product produced by our company,
The Art Department.

In England,  contact  Silicon  Systems (SDL) in London. They are our primary
distribution agent in  the  U.K.  They have both  retail and mail order type
sales.

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc. ``We look for things. Things that make us go.''
	UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry

massa@uni-paderborn.de (Michael Janich) (11/19/90)

nealet@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Neale Type) writes:

>I would like to know if there is a convert utility to interchange MAC GIF
>pictures and Amiga IFF pictures??
>I know utilities exist to convert sound and fonts between the two machines,
>does a picture convert utility exist??

>Thanks
>Neale

Hi Neale and all the others,

yes of course, there are many possibilities to convert gif to iff! We
have about four utilities:

GIFMa.zoo               convert to ham
VirtGIF2_0.zoo          Show gif pictures
gif2iff2.zoo            convert to ham
HamSharp.lzh            convert to Sham
HamLab.zoo		convert to ham with float-steinberg-dithering

I think you can ftp them all from abcdefg20... or whatever the name of
that good ol' nasa server is.
In my opinion HamLab is best, because of the float-steinberg-dithering.
But we run a share-ware version: all picts are cutted to 512 pixels each
dimension.

--

   Michael Janich, Uni Paderborn, United Germany
--

   Michael Janich, Uni Paderborn, United Germany