[comp.sys.amiga] hard drive problems/VirusX

tucker@tahoe.unr.edu (Aaron Tucker) (11/16/90)

	I have recently switched harddrive & controller with a friend.
	His Fireball controller was not working with his motherboard
	version.  I ran my new Fujitsu/Fireball hd/controller fine, then
	started getting read/write errors.  Someone suggested a virus.
	I had not yet altered my startup-sequence to put in virusx
	like I had on my previous set up.  So I ran virusX, and it told
	me "This system's Cold Vector is not equal to zero"  By playing around,
	mainly, typing "execute startup-sequence" and then running Virusx again,
	I get the same warning, but not if VirusX is running already:  I have
	to kill vx, execute the startup-sequence, then run vx to get the
	warning.  The warning comes up now when I boot up since vx is in my
	startup-sequence again.  FixDisk shows quite a few read/write errors
	on the hd also.  Do I have a virus, or is my new hd defective?

and thanks, all help will be greatly appreciated.

att

oliver@solaria.cs.unc.edu (Bill Oliver) (11/17/90)

In article <4938@tahoe.unr.edu> tucker@tahoe.unr.edu (Aaron Tucker) writes:

> [about getting a warning with VirusX]

I get a similar thing with my 2500/30.  I have VirusX in my startup-sequence,
and it always comes up with a similar message and asks if I want to
clear this vector.  The only thing I noticed was that if I chose "Yes,"
then WordPerfect could no longer control fonts when printing on my
HP IIP.  So, I just ignore the message now, and choose "No."

I would also like to know what is happening.

Bill Oliver

bscott@isis.cs.du.edu (Ben Scott) (11/19/90)

In article <17609@thorin.cs.unc.edu> oliver@solaria.cs.unc.edu (Bill Oliver) writes:
>I get a similar thing with my 2500/30.  I have VirusX in my startup-sequence,
>and it always comes up with a similar message and asks if I want to
>clear this vector.  The only thing I noticed was that if I chose "Yes,"

  Setpatch r in your startup changes the vector so that RAD can survive
in a 1-meg Agnus system.  This annoys VirusX unless you run it with the -r
option AS DOCUMENTED IN THE DOC FILE...

.                            <<<<Infinite K>>>>

--
|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|
|FIDO point address 1:104/421.2, bscott@isis.cs.du.edu, or BBS (303)424-9831|