[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga 1000+hard drive

specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) (11/12/90)

I too would like to know how much it will cost to adapt my amiga 1000 with an
SCSI drive??? Is it better to get an SCSI adapter? Or should I go for a
different type of drive??? SCSI are abundant arent they? ARe they limited
by speed or something?

Here is what I would like to do (what are my chances?):Expand my amiga
1000 to 1 meg of ram (chip ram? Can it be done without alot of rejuvenation?)
and add a 20-40 meg hard drive. Can I do this for 600$ or less? I know
someone who said they could get me a 40 megabyte hardrive (SCSI) for around
300ish. Is that good? Would a 20 meg be cheaper? How much? Should I buy
Starboard II and get the SCSI adapter for it? Could I do that and buy a
20 meg for under $600 (or 650$?)?

Please answer these questions if you could for I REALLY want to produce useful
public domain software, but I am limited right now by my low memory small
disk size 1000. I don't need alot of hard drive space, just enough to develope
on. I'm a dying breed of 1000 users, and I won't be getting a 3000 until I
gradiate from college. (from my spelling of graduate, that could be a long
time :> please reply in comp.sys.amiga

Byron Guernsey

Byron 'Maxwell' Guernsey                       |       ///  //\\
specter@disk.UUCP     or                       |      ///  //  \\
uunet!ukma!corpane!disk!specter                |  \\\///  //====\\
"Great programs aren't written, they're fathered." \\\/  //      \\ m i g a

bjh@cbnewsj.att.com (bernard.j.hudson) (11/15/90)

In article <4509@disk.UUCP>, specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) writes:
> How much does it will cost to adapt my amiga 1000 with a SCSI drive?
> [What other expansion are best for software development ?]

I have considered these options in order of importance for me. Prices are approx.

Memory:        StarboardII 2M ($370) and perhaps a 2nd SBII (solid pass-thru)
SCSI Adapter:  Supra SCSI ($200), SBII SCSI ($100,slower), CLtd(no support?)
Hard Disk:     30M SCSI for $300 is okay. Need case and power ($70)
               A590 works fine (front-to-back) includes SCSI adapter
Kickstart:     Amazing Computing article or Quickstart (maybe even 2.0 ROM)
Accelerator:   LUCAS/FRAN kit 68020/68881 4M 32-bit RAM (hard to use with above)

1M chip RAM/   Rejuvinator($400), DVSWonder(vaporware, forget it)
Video Slot:    Rejuvinator (If you really need these, get a A2000)
MS-DOS PC:     Sidecar (use Insider or Inboard for Amiga RAM and PC hard disk)

You might also consider a Toolbox or other expansion box for A2000 cards,
if you make sure it works and upgrade is important.

Just my opinions and experiences.              .....BJ
bjh@mtgzz.ATT.COM    GSCUG

hwr@pilhuhn.uucp (Heiko W.Rupp) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov14.205200.7955@cbnewsj.att.com>, bernard.j.hudson writes:

>In article <4509@disk.UUCP>, specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) writes:
>> How much does it will cost to adapt my amiga 1000 with a SCSI drive?
>> [What other expansion are best for software development ?]
>
>I have considered these options in order of importance for me. Prices are approx.

                [some stuff deleted]

>1M chip RAM/   Rejuvinator($400), DVSWonder(vaporware, forget it)

Does someone have any experience with it ?
Where may I get it ?

-Heiko

---
 O|O  Heiko W.Rupp   Path: ...!ira.uka.de!smurf!flatlin!bagsend!pilhuhn!hwr
  |   Gerwigstr.5            | There is someone in my head, but it't not me
  U   FRG-7500 Karlsruhe 1   |                       - Pink Floyd
      Voice : + 49 721 693642| Do You know where Your towel is ???