[comp.sys.amiga] DiskDoctor 1.3.5 and DOS 2.0

blubaugh@ucqais.uc.edu (Dr. Blubaugh) (11/16/90)

Warning: DON'T USE DISKDOCTOR!

     I recently tried using DiskDoctor with my A3000 hard disk under
WB2.0 to verify the data on the disk. Upon exit I found that my disk
was now hopelessly corrupted by DiskDoctor. It seems that DiskDoctor
found lots of keys unreadable.  Now I know I should've used DiskSalv
to begin with but C= distributes DiskDoctor with 2.0 and you'd think
it would be safe to use!!!  I guess DiskDoctor will always be one of
those files that you should delete from all disks.
--
Dwight Blubaugh Ph.D. @ University of Cincinnati
UUCP: {decuac,mit-eddie,phri,pyramid}!uccba!ucqais!blubaugh.UUCP

micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson) (11/19/90)

In message <2551@ucqais.uc.edu>, blubaugh@ucqais.uc.edu (Dr. Blubaugh) writes:

>Warning: DON'T USE DISKDOCTOR!

Perhaps I'm the only one who has ever used DiskDoctor successfully.
But... I didn't use it to recover any information from the disk.
I used it to format my new harddisk.
For some reason FORMAT was unable to format my HD. FORMAT gave the
message "Format failed - not enough memory", and that was on a machine
with approx. 2.5 MBytes available.

So, I would like to modify Dwight's warning a bit:

Warning: DON'T USE DISKDOCTOR FOR DATA RECOVERY!

>Dwight Blubaugh Ph.D. @ University of Cincinnati

 \_/   Mikael Karlsson, Lovsattersvagen 10, S-585 98  LINKOPING, SWEDEN
  V                           | micke@slaka.sirius.se
  |      Absolut Software     | micke@slaka.UUCP
 ~~~                          | {mcvax,seismo}!sunic!liuida!slaka!micke

wemmp@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (Peter Wemm) (11/20/90)

micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson) writes:
>In message <2551@ucqais.uc.edu>, blubaugh@ucqais.uc.edu (Dr. Blubaugh) writes:
>>Warning: DON'T USE DISKDOCTOR!
[..etc..]
>So, I would like to modify Dwight's warning a bit:

>Warning: DON'T USE DISKDOCTOR FOR DATA RECOVERY!

In my experience, running diskdoctor on ANY FFS disk is suicidal.  It
cannot associate blocks with the correct header - so it resorts to
first-come-first-served..  ie: makes a HUGE mess of your HD.

I have had very favorable experiences with fixdisk with in-situ recoveries.
But it is a little bit slow .. :-)   It was only designed for up to about
a meg or so.  I was even able to recover the mess that diskdoctor made!
Note that this was a repair, not salvage.. The drive was completely stable
for about a week before I did a complete backup/format/restore.

>>Dwight Blubaugh Ph.D. @ University of Cincinnati

> \_/   Mikael Karlsson, Lovsattersvagen 10, S-585 98  LINKOPING, SWEDEN
>  V                           | micke@slaka.sirius.se
>  |      Absolut Software     | micke@slaka.UUCP
> ~~~                          | {mcvax,seismo}!sunic!liuida!slaka!micke

--
Peter Wemm
wemmp@cutmcvax.oz.au (wemmp@cutmcvax.oz or ..!munnari!cutmcvax.oz.au!wemmp)
"VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix." - w.davidson

caldwell_m@darwin.ntu.edu.au (11/20/90)

In article <wemmp.659048044@cutmcvax>, wemmp@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (Peter Wemm) writes:

> I have had very favorable experiences with fixdisk with in-situ recoveries.
> But it is a little bit slow .. :-)   It was only designed for up to about
> a meg or so.  I was even able to recover the mess that diskdoctor made!
> Note that this was a repair, not salvage.. The drive was completely stable
> for about a week before I did a complete backup/format/restore.

Me too.  For some reason the directory block of my hardisk gets cleared
sometimes.  I don't know why.  Fixdisk just re-creates the root-directory.
I then go on as normal.  Before fixdisk I had to try to salv my whole HD
(Which wouldn't work on the old disksalv) (and)or start from scratch.

> Peter Wemm
> wemmp@cutmcvax.oz.au (wemmp@cutmcvax.oz or ..!munnari!cutmcvax.oz.au!wemmp)
> "VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix." - w.davidson

  Malcolm Caldwell   CALDWELL_M@DARWIN.NTU.EDU.AU
  Darwin Australia   FIDO: 3:690/648.3