[comp.sys.amiga] Group split status

stx@vax1.mankato.msus.edu (Kevin Whyte) (11/20/90)

I haven't heard much about the comp.sys.amiga split lately and was curious
what stage we are at.  I was monitoring news.groups but other than a question
from someone about which groups are 'legal' and it's answer I have seen
nothing. ( I have only been looking at it for about a week though)  Was there
any reaction to the initial post of intention?  And I haven't seen any posts
here for awhile.
  Before I get flamed, I did read the "You must be patient" messages and I am
not banging my keyboard at the slowness of a bureacracy(sp) I am simply
curious as to what is happening.

(And now for something completely different, as long as I am posting anyway, if
anyone from Commodore is reading this add my thanks to those already posted.)
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 stx@vax1.mankato.msus.edu           Kevin Whyte            Proud Owner of an

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov19.184355.66@vax1.mankato.msus.edu> stx@vax1.mankato.msus.edu (Kevin Whyte) writes:

>I haven't heard much about the comp.sys.amiga split lately and was curious
>what stage we are at.  I was monitoring news.groups but other than a question
>from someone about which groups are 'legal' and it's answer I have seen
>nothing. ( I have only been looking at it for about a week though)  Was there
>any reaction to the initial post of intention?  And I haven't seen any posts
>here for awhile.

Here's the story:

The official call for discussion (CFD) was posted on or about November
1.  I think it actually became readable November 3 or so.  The
discussion period is usually 21 days.  That means that the discussion
period will end about November 24.

To a very great extent, the discussion has been low-key.  The major
issues have been resolved in the first (draft) revisions of the
proposal.  The discussions so far have centered on the naming of the
proposed groups, not upon their contents or their right to exist.  I
think this is mainly because Kent wrote such a fleepingly long
proposal, nobody bothered to read the whole thing, thus nobody feels
justified in arguing about it.  That and the way everybody is
screaming pointlessly about the assorted unix groups and the
alt.sex.pictures group.  They're either distracted or tired.

The call for votes will appear at the time the discussion period ends.
The voting period WILL be EXACTLY 21 days.  At this time, you may mail
your votes in, separately approving or rejecting each individual
group.  Yes, really.  The dictator may dictate the names for these new
groups, or voters may get to choose names for the groups, if there are
some reasonable alternatives.  I can think of two groups that have
possible alternative names.  Personally, I don't really care what the
names are, just so long as we get the new groups.

The results of the voting will be presented at the end of the voting
period.  Assuming these groups pass (and they should), there will be a
five-day "cooling off" period.  During this time, you have the
opportunity to protest the vote results, or whatever's needed.  After
this time, it will be around December 19 or 20.  The new groups will
be created, the old groups will be removed or renamed, and the fun
begins.  On a personal note, I will be moderating .announce, assuming
it is successfully created.  However, I will be visiting my family
right then, so that group will be in full operation right around the
start of the new year.  I will however, get a charter up and write
directions on how to make an announcement.  These can be posted
by the backup moderator or posted in .introduction, or something
creative.  I will be certain that my absences won't screw up the group
too much.

In any case, once you count propogation delays, irresponsible
moderators, all the difficulties of vote counting, and so on, you can
expect the new groups (assuming they don't get treated like California
propositions) as your Christmas presents.

Followups redirected to news.groups.

           Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.