[comp.sys.amiga] How do you tell it's an 8520?

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (11/20/90)

A friend of mine accidentally made a bit of a mistake with his Ami;
switched his parallel port switchbox without powering down first.
Now nothing will print to the printer and PerfectSound won't
receive any signal in the port at all.

Judging by the posts I've seen in c.s.a in the past, I believe he
might have blown one or both of the 8520 chips (is that the right number?)
So the questions are:
1) How do we verify they are the dead components in question?
2) How hard are they to replace?  Socketed? (please say they are)
3) Any recommendations on where to get them?

Thanks for any help.  :-)

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

In <90323.223151JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu>, JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>A friend of mine accidentally made a bit of a mistake with his Ami;
>switched his parallel port switchbox without powering down first.
>Now nothing will print to the printer and PerfectSound won't
>receive any signal in the port at all.
>
>Judging by the posts I've seen in c.s.a in the past, I believe he
>might have blown one or both of the 8520 chips (is that the right number?)
>So the questions are:
>1) How do we verify they are the dead components in question?

  Swap the two 8520s. If the modem stops working, one of them is bad.

>2) How hard are they to replace?  Socketed? (please say they are)

  They are socketed.

>3) Any recommendations on where to get them?

  Through a dealer.  They are Commodore designed/made chips, and not available
  in general parts places.

-larry

--
The only things to survive a nuclear war will be cockroaches and IBM PCs.