[comp.sys.amiga] Anyone get Oktalizer to work?

sl35746@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (By-Tor) (11/15/90)

Hi.  Has anoyone gotten Oktalizer to work?  I saw this on a local board a
while ago, and assumed it was bogus.  It looks like just a picture with a
pointer, not an actual program.  And the source is only for four voices.
In the docs they said you need to run it in pal mode to access the menus,
but they are visible on non-pal and don't work.  Has anyone gotten
Oktaplayer to work (on abcfd20?)
	Thanks,
	Jeff

DXB132@psuvm.psu.edu (11/15/90)

Oktaplayer (on abcfd...) seems to be nothing more than a very early version of
Oktalyzer. It does not play anything, as far as I can tell!

-- Dan Babcock

jimb@faatcrl.UUCP (Jim Burwell) (11/16/90)

sl35746@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (By-Tor) writes:

>Hi.  Has anoyone gotten Oktalizer to work?  I saw this on a local board a
>while ago, and assumed it was bogus.  It looks like just a picture with a
>pointer, not an actual program.  And the source is only for four voices.
>In the docs they said you need to run it in pal mode to access the menus,
>but they are visible on non-pal and don't work.  Has anyone gotten
>Oktaplayer to work (on abcfd20?)

Yes.  I have gotten Oktalyzer to work.  You need to be running PAL.  It won't
work in NTSC mode.  If you have a Super-Agnus, get Palcon or some other
piece of software which puts your machine into Pal mode.  If you don't have
a Super-Agnus, you're SOL.

C'ya,
Jim

--
UUCP:  ...!rutgers!faatcrl!jimb              Internet:  jimb@faatcrl.UUCP
		Under brooding skys and watchful eyes

faheyr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Bob Fahey <NECR0SIS>) (11/17/90)

sl35746@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (By-Tor) writes:

>Hi.  Has anoyone gotten Oktalizer to work?  I saw this on a local board a
                  ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Better yet, has anyone GOTTEN Oktalizer??? Seems that abcdfghi.nasa... has put
a lock on it. Why? From what I understand, it is PD. Correct me if I'm wrong
(and I am sure you will :)  )

But, seriously, why would it be locked if it were PD? Because it "looks" like
Noisetracker/Soundtracker? Well, from what I have seen of the player module,
it isn't even close to N/Stracker -- won't play a mod. file either.

Any comments on this?

>	Thanks,
>	Jeff

Bob Fahey

|      ///| a.k.a. NECR0SIS     faheyr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu  -or-          |
|  \\\///_|                     faheyr@rose.ucs.indiana.edu                  |
|   \XX/  |  M  I  G  A      "'Ere long done do does did..."  - The Smiths   |
|             "...life is seen through the eyes of a dog..."  - Skinny Puppy |

proff@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au (Frederick Solidus) (11/20/90)

In <1990Nov15.024701.24214@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> sl35746@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (By-Tor) writes:

>Hi.  Has anoyone gotten Oktalizer to work?  I saw this on a local board a
>while ago, and assumed it was bogus.  It looks like just a picture with a
>pointer, not an actual program.  And the source is only for four voices.
>In the docs they said you need to run it in pal mode to access the menus,
>but they are visible on non-pal and don't work.  Has anyone gotten
>Oktaplayer to work (on abcfd20?)  >	Thanks, >	Jeff

   The Oktalizer player src is only for four voices, the reasoning being that
mixing 8 voices in real time takes a awful low of PC time, so there is no
point in including 8 voice songs in anything :-(

To set up 8 voices , you must go to prefs, and toggle the channle settings.

Oktalizer is wonderful, it's just so clean.

PS 8 voices, reduces quality.

Proff/The Force