[comp.sys.amiga] AMIGA NETWORKS

darcy.otto@canremote.uucp (DARCY OTTO) (11/18/90)

I'm looking for some information on Amiga networks.  Could someone give
me a brief rundown of some of the LAN (local area networks available
for the Amiga?

What I want the network to do is as follows.  Using an Amiga 3000 or
Amiga 2000/030 as a centre, have a ring of five or six Amiga 500's or
dumb terminals.  I want the terminals to be able to access the hard
disk on the hub, and be able to read and write the same file without
having sharing violations.  Is there any such thing, or do I have to
go to a PC to get this kind of networking?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

(Me)
---
 * Amiga-Reader 1.00u * I'd like to be home with my monkey and my dog.

cyrus.sanii@canremote.uucp (CYRUS SANII) (11/19/90)

CBM has come out with new networking cards for the amiga (Ethernet) so
you should be able to do all of what you want fairly easily with these
new cards.  I assume there is a good software package that comes with
the cards.
---

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (11/20/90)

In article <aeeaa604bd7b2745d20c@canremote.uucp>, darcy.otto@canremote.uucp
(DARCY OTTO) says:

>What I want the network to do is as follows.  Using an Amiga 3000 or
>Amiga 2000/030 as a centre, have a ring of five or six Amiga 500's or
>dumb terminals.  I want the terminals to be able to access the hard
>disk on the hub, and be able to read and write the same file without
>having sharing violations.  Is there any such thing, or do I have to

This should all be doable, though of course you don't explain exactly
what you want, so your milage may vary.

There are (or will be soon?) Amiga Ethernet products available, with
the "standard" TCP/IP software running on top.  This should give you
very flexible remote login, file transfer, and file sharing.

Amiga progras can open programs in either shared-read or exclusive-write
modes, which should take care of your multiple access problems.

If I were you, I'd try to make direct contact with Commodore Amiga's
networking people, and hash it out with them.

                                             lee

huebner@aero.aero.org (Robert E. Huebner) (11/21/90)

In article <0ff0edda48582747481c@canremote.uucp>,
cyrus.sanii@canremote.uucp (CYRUS SANII) writes:
|> CBM has come out with new networking cards for the amiga (Ethernet) so
|> you should be able to do all of what you want fairly easily with these
|> new cards.  I assume there is a good software package that comes with
|> the cards.

I would assume so as well, but unfortunately the promised AS225 TCP/IP
software has not been released yet.  I know it is in development, and
has been used in conjunction with the age-old computer mantra "Real Soon
Now".  Software does not come shipped with either of the new networking
card (see below)

The hardware is (apparently) available as part # A2065 (Ethernet) (Type A or B)
If you're looking more for IBM-oriented network, an ARCNET board has
been announced as A2060 (I have no idea on availability of this).
Software for the A2060 is designated AS220 (Novell Client).

Prices:		List		Educational
A2065		$349		$229
A2060		$229		$149
AS225		$199		$129
AS220		$149		$99

I hope that AS225 is released soon, because it is probably the
most significant thing lacking from the Amiga lineup from a corporate
point-of-view.

Prices above are from May, 1990 list.  As you probably know, the "must
be purchased with a CPU to qualify for edu disc. unless you are an
institution" rule applies.
----
Robert Huebner		huebner@aerospace.aero.org
			The Aerospace Corporation
----

martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Daniel Martin) (11/21/90)

In article <90323.142452UH2@psuvm.psu.edu> UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) writes:
>There are (or will be soon?) Amiga Ethernet products available, with
>the "standard" TCP/IP software running on top.  This should give you
>very flexible remote login, file transfer, and file sharing.
>Amiga progras can open programs in either shared-read or exclusive-write
>modes, which should take care of your multiple access problems.
>                                             lee

   Got three ethernet card (shipped with A3000 unix).  I'll get
the beta software for TCP/IP - NFS today.  I'll be busy trying
all sorts of networks arrangement.

   As I understand it, the software can only act as clients
(i.e. you can log on other machines, but no-one can log on yours).
You need a server somewhere, either a A3000ux or any other unix
server workstation.

   Daniel.
--
    // Daniel Martin                            Universite de Montreal   \\
   //  MediaLab, ca vous regarde!               C.P. 6128, Succursale A,  \\