[comp.sys.amiga] The fix, and a DiskX problem

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (11/18/90)

In article <21699@well.sf.ca.us> jax@well.sf.ca.us (Jack J. Woehr) writes:
>jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>
>>It's called "@ilmham.22".  It shows up under dir, ls and list, with
>>a filelenth of 0, but rm and delete both give:
>
>	1> DELETE #?ilmham.22

Well, no version of delete, rm or wildcards worked.  I had to go
in with a sector editor and remove the entry from the directory block.

Sigh.  Where's fsck when I need it?

DiskX guru's my system (A2000, rev 4.3, GVP II Scsi + 4Mb) whenever
I try to search for an ascii string.  Does this happen to anyone else?

--
J. Eric Townsend     Internet: jet@uh.edu    Bitnet: jet@UHOU
Systems Manager - University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics - (713) 749-2120

denbeste@etnibsd.UUCP (Steven Den Beste) (11/20/90)

%In article <21699@well.sf.ca.us> jax@well.sf.ca.us (Jack J. Woehr) writes:
%>jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
%>
%>>It's called "@ilmham.22".  It shows up under dir, ls and list, with
%>>a filelenth of 0, but rm and delete both give:
%>
%>	1> DELETE #?ilmham.22

Use "dir interactive" (look up "dir" in your user manual) and when the
file you don't like appears, type "delete". You can delete ANY file, no
matter WHAT it is named, with this mechanism.

new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) (11/21/90)

In article <1188@etnibsd.UUCP> denbeste@etnibsd.UUCP (Steven Den Beste) writes:
>Use "dir interactive" (look up "dir" in your user manual) and when the
>file you don't like appears, type "delete". You can delete ANY file, no
>matter WHAT it is named, with this mechanism.

The problem was not with the file name.  The problem was with the file being
on the wrong hash chain.  ExNext could find it, but Delete and Open could
not.   Think about it...            -- Darren
--
--- Darren New --- Grad Student --- CIS --- Univ. of Delaware ---
----- Network Protocols, Graphics, Programming Languages,