[comp.sys.amiga] Archive Viper or Scorpion drives

jea@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) (11/20/90)

Larry:

You mention that you are using a Arhive Scorpion
tape drive -- What driver are you using?

I ask because I may have one of these lying around
soon.

Joanne

In <10571@ur-cc.UUCP>, jea@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) writes:
>Larry:
>
>You mention that you are using a Arhive Scorpion
>tape drive -- What driver are you using?

I am using the stabdard driver (scsidisk.device) that comes with the A3000 and
with the 2091. It also works with the hardFrame, 2090, and 2090A, and probably
with any other host adapter that supports SCSIDirect (the ability to pass any
arbitrary command/data combination to any arbitrary SCSI device). That having
been said, let me hasten to add that you cannot just fabricate a mountlist and
start reading/writing tapes.

I wrote backup and restore programs that use the SCSIDirect protocol to access
the tape drive, and used that for quite a while. It works fine, but I don't
know yet if I will be releasing it. Seems some folks want to buy it from me,
and it may eventually be for sale.

Meanwhile, the best bet for a tape drive is to grab Markus Wandel's tape
handler, and Jonathan Hue's 'tar' program. These will allow you to not only
backup and restore, but will allow transfer of data to/from any other computer
that speaks tar on QIC drives.

-larry

--
The only things to survive a nuclear war will be cockroaches and IBM PCs.