[comp.sys.amiga] A3000 and Adaptec 4000 Combo Help Again?

ammrk@swpyr2.sbc.com (Mike R. Kraml) (11/17/90)

    I am pleading one more time.  I am trying to get an ACB4000 SCSI to ST506
	adapter card going on my A3000.  Has anyone gotten this thing to work?
	When I mount the drive, and attempt to access it, I get an error,
	"cannot find handler".  The hdtoolbox program simply doesn't see the thing.
	It resets it and the attached ST506 drive, but does not present it in the
	drive list.

	I did receive one message from a fellow telling me that he got the thing to
	work, but he did not mention how.  By the way, if you are reading this,
	I E-mailed you several times, but I guess my mail is not getting through.

	Could someone please help?? I hate to loose my ST506 drives, they are not
	the greatest things, but they do still work fine.

								  Thanks in advance, Mike...
  Mike Kraml - Manager-Separations Mechanization - SWBT - Finance Department
  One Bell Center - 30-D-06 - St. Louis, Mo. 63101        PHONE: 314-235-8012
  UUCP: {uunet, bellcore, texbell}...!swpyr2.sbc.com!ammrk

rbabel@babylon.UUCP (Ralph Babel) (11/18/90)

In article <15935@cbmvax.commodore.com>
jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:

> The Adaptec 4xxx series controllers are really SASI not SCSI.  They
> have a number of very non-standard things about how they interpret
> commands, etc.

They do not support INQUIRY, for example.

INQUIRY is, even by the old SCSI standard, "required for SCSI devices
that support device-independent self-configuring software", so the
host adapter software (i.e. driver) can determine the type of SCSI
target connected. It's mandatory for SCSI-2.

So if you want some SCSI host adapter software that is clever
enough to handle streamers, CD-ROMs, printers, scanners, etc.
correctly, then better forget about the ACB-4000.

Ralph

In article <38@swpyr2.sbc.com> ammrk@swpyr2.sbc.com (Mike R. Kraml) writes:

>    I am pleading one more time.  I am trying to get an ACB4000 SCSI to ST506
>	adapter card going on my A3000.  Has anyone gotten this thing to work?
>	When I mount the drive, and attempt to access it, I get an error,
>	"cannot find handler".  The hdtoolbox program simply doesn't see the thing.
>	It resets it and the attached ST506 drive, but does not present it in the
>	drive list.

	The Adaptec 4xxx series controllers are really SASI not SCSI.  They
have a number of very non-standard things about how they interpret commands,
etc.  They do not follow the spec (of course they were introduced before the
spec was adopted, I think).  I'm suprised HDToolBox doesn't see anything -
even if it can't handle it, it should show up.  There may be something more
serious wrong.  In any case, if you can get the thing low-level formatted, you
will probably be ok, since that's the real non-standard part of the thing.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
Thus spake the Master Ninjei: "If your application does not run correctly,
do not blame the operating system."  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (11/21/90)

Ralph> So if you want some SCSI host adapter software that is clever enough to
Ralph> handle streamers, CD-ROMs, printers, scanners, etc.  correctly, then
Ralph> better forget about the ACB-4000.

Is there an alternative for ST-506 drives?  (Any experiences with OMTI?)
David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
(415) 691-6311					640 Clyde Ct.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mtn. View, CA  94043
"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"