[comp.sys.amiga] free software

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (11/17/90)

>>There may be some compatibility problems with SAS (former
>>Lattice) C, but there is no way Lattice could match the
>>price/performance ratio offered by GCC. GCC comes free.

I've used my share of "free" software.  Some of it is a great bargain.
Sometimes commercial software is the biggest bargain of all, though.
Try this thought experiment:  Take 100 Amiga programmers.  Divide them
into two groups of 50, called A and B.  Assign each programmer in each
group the task of writing some non-trivial C program.

Group A calls Lattice and orders the compiler.
Group B starts FTPing around looking for GCC.
You pay them by the hour.

My bet is that by the time all 100 had finished their programs, you would
have paid the Lattice group a lot less.

On the other hand, group B would know a lot more about the GNU compiler.

                                                                     lee

hwr@pilhuhn.uucp (Heiko W.Rupp) (11/20/90)

In article <90320.195811UH2@psuvm.psu.edu>, Lee Sailer writes:

>>>There may be some compatibility problems with SAS (former
>>>Lattice) C, but there is no way Lattice could match the
>>>price/performance ratio offered by GCC. GCC comes free.

Is the Gnu -Compiler that good as it is reported ?
What system requirements does it need ?

-Heiko

---
 O|O  Heiko W.Rupp   Path: ...!ira.uka.de!smurf!flatlin!bagsend!pilhuhn!hwr
  |   Gerwigstr.5            | There is someone in my head, but it't not me
  U   FRG-7500 Karlsruhe 1   |                       - Pink Floyd
      Voice : + 49 721 693642| Do You know where Your towel is ???

pm0@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Patrick Martin) (11/21/90)

In article <183c11aa.ARN0dda@pilhuhn.uucp> hwr%pilhuhn@bagsend.ka.sub.org writes:

>In article <90320.195811UH2@psuvm.psu.edu>, Lee Sailer writes:
>

>What system requirements does it need ?
>
>-Heiko
>
>---
As I understand it, GCC just requires ALOT of stack space so you may need to buy
some more memory to use it.

I was on abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov and saw a version for the Amiga in incoming called
agcc so you should check it out.  I also saw emacs for the amiga there so I
downloaded it and could not get it to run.  The file was called gnuemacs08.lzh in
the incoming/GNU directory.  Has anyone got this program running on an Amiga?
(An Amiga 3000 with Workbench 2.0 specifically)  If so then please E-Mail how
you did so...  (OOPS the file was called gnuemacs08.tar and I had to modify the
program tarsplit to get it to untar in the first place so it may have been unpacked
improperly)

Where can I find out more about GNU and the Amiga?

Thanks, Pat