[comp.sys.amiga] ESDI

stephan@cup.portal.com (Stephen Derek Schaem) (07/21/89)

 I'm curently using a 170meg ESDI drive with an overdrive SCSI controler and
the adaptec 4520a.
 I had small problem geting it running (jumper and creat a overdrive.drive
file for the adaptec4520a).
 But it's working fine, only get near 300k read but I can live with that.

							Stephan@velo.sgi.com

kevin@arnor.UUCP (Kevin Goroway) (07/25/89)

In article <20652@cup.portal.com>, stephan@cup.portal.com (Stephen Derek Schaem) writes:
>  I'm curently using a 170meg ESDI drive with an overdrive SCSI controler and
> the adaptec 4520a.
>  I had small problem geting it running (jumper and creat a overdrive.drive
> file for the adaptec4520a).

Where can I get an adaptec? And how much are they? Amiga slot?
thanks...

> 							Stephan@velo.sgi.com

- Worcester Polytechnic Institute|"It happens sometimes, people just explode, -
= Worcester, MA (IBM for summer) |               natural causes." -Repo Man   =

stephan@cup.portal.com (Stephen Derek Schaem) (07/31/89)

 The adaptec 4520a is sold for around 99$. it's a SCSI<=>ESDI. So you will
need a SCSI controler.
 Two years ago I use to have a CLTD controler and now have a overdrive from
(Pacific P..).
 You will have problem with both when lowformating.
The solution is to: with CLTD: use genformat (the only one program that will
work).
with the overdrive do your own overdrive.drive file with the 4520a spec.
 Some people got the info from me, so {you could post a message for the file
in case you have or plaing to get the overdrive...
 I get 300k read with the overdrive and 4520a, really easy to beat!.
The all setup is for around 270$ (both controler, 8k cache for the 4520a and
the overdrive is DMA).
 Have fun..
								Stephan.

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (08/02/89)

In article <20872@cup.portal.com> stephan@cup.portal.com (Stephen Derek Schaem) writes:

>  The adaptec 4520a is sold for around 99$. it's a SCSI<=>ESDI. So you will
> need a SCSI controler.
>  Two years ago I use to have a CLTD controler and now have a overdrive from
> (Pacific P..).

Have you (or has anyone else out there) attempted to use the Pacific
Peripherals Overdrive autoboot daughterboard together with the new Fat
Agnus chip upgrade?  My dealer installed the Fat Agnus chip in my
Amiga 2000, but now the Overdrive won't autoboot reliably any more.
(It worked fine with the old Agnus.)  Instead, when autobooting,
frequently the boot partition ("slow file system") gets corrupted, with
a "key checksum error" or something like that.  (DiskDoctor reports
that the partition is really corrupted, and often can't fix the bad
key error.) Sometimes the autoboot succeeds, but a subsequent disk
access causes the same sort of corruption.

If I let the Amiga warm up for 15 minutes or so, then the autoboot
seems to work OK.  But if I let the Amiga cool off (say overnight),
then the autoboot fails and corrupts the partition again.

When I contacted Pacific Peripherals, they told me they haven't even
attempted to use the Overdrive with Fat Agnus yet!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{att,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Those who will be able to conquer software will be able to
	 conquer the world."  -- Tadahiro Sekimoto, president, NEC Corp.

njg2@po.CWRU.Edu (J. Norell Guttman) (11/21/90)

I found this really great price for an 180 meg hard drive.  However the
hard drive is not SCSI but ESDI.  Is their an ESDI controler for the Amiga?

				J.Norell Guttman
				njg2@po.cwru.edu

In <1990Nov21.033356.5208@usenet.ins.cwru.edu>, njg2@po.CWRU.Edu (J. Norell Guttman) writes:
>I found this really great price for an 180 meg hard drive.  However the
>hard drive is not SCSI but ESDI.  Is their an ESDI controler for the Amiga?

There are SCSI Host Adapters for the Amiga, and there are SCSI-ESDI controllers
that will allow you to hook an ESDI drive to your Amiga via the SCSI host
adapter. One example (the one I use) is the Emulex MD-21. It's fast with my
Toshiba MK-156.

-larry

--
The only things to survive a nuclear war will be cockroaches and IBM PCs.