[comp.sys.amiga] MSH cry for help!

bheil@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Brian Heil) (11/17/90)

Well, I'm stumped!
I got the messydisk (msh) file-system from the fish disks and installed it
and mounted MSH:  No problems so far.  When I cd to the disk using SKsh
builtin cd I get an error [msh:: can't change to directory (8)] so I used
the cd command from a standard WB disk.  This works and I can read/write stuff
to this disk without problems.  The problem comes when I remove the msdos disk
from the drive (unit 1) and stick in an amigados disk.  The drive whirrs and
gronks (that's right I have a 1000 and I'm very attached to that gronking!)
and I get a system requestor that says...

                      Messydos volume

                      has a Read or Write error
                      retry               cancel

hmph! something is not working right here!  If I select retry I get the
requestor back.  If I select cancel it goes away and the disk (an amiga disk
in df1:) is normal.

Any body have a clue as to what's going on here (any body have the same thing
happpen to them)?

here's the setup:
   A1000
   two floppies
   1 meg memory
   KS 1.3 (34.5)
   WB 1.3 (34.20)
   SKsh 1.5
   ARP 39.1
the MSH release-notes are dated 11-FEB-90
my ms-dos disk was formatted on a real live ibm 3.5 drive (actually I've tried
this with several disks... one formatted on a PS/2 (blech), one on an NCR and
one formatted with messyformat).

Many thanks to Steve Koren for Sksh and Olaf Seibert for MSH (even though the
SKsh and MSH seem to argue about cd and I get this weird read/write error
thing), and to anyone who can shed some light here!

Brian Heil                           )              University of Iowa
bheil@scout-po.biz.uiowa.edu         (      College of Business Administration
bheil@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu           )        Computing Services Organization
                      AMIGA   There is no substitute!

2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (11/18/90)

In article <3240@ns-mx.uiowa.edu>, bheil@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Brian Heil) writes:
> Well, I'm stumped!
> I got the messydisk (msh) file-system from the fish disks and installed it
> and mounted MSH:  No problems so far.  When I cd to the disk using SKsh
> builtin cd I get an error [msh:: can't change to directory (8)] so I used
> the cd command from a standard WB disk.  This works and I can read/write stuff
> to this disk without problems.  The problem comes when I remove the msdos disk
> from the drive (unit 1) and stick in an amigados disk.  The drive whirrs and
> gronks (that's right I have a 1000 and I'm very attached to that gronking!)
> and I get a system requestor that says...
>
>                       Messydos volume
>
>                       has a Read or Write error
>                       retry               cancel
>
> hmph! something is not working right here!  If I select retry I get the
> requestor back.  If I select cancel it goes away and the disk (an amiga disk
> in df1:) is normal.
>
> Any body have a clue as to what's going on here (any body have the same thing
> happpen to them)?
>
> Brian Heil                           )              University of Iowa
> bheil@scout-po.biz.uiowa.edu         (      College of Business Administration
> bheil@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu           )        Computing Services Organization
>                       AMIGA   There is no substitute!

In the (ahem) manual it says that when you have inserted an MSH: disk and then
remove it and insert an Amigados disk directly after it that MSH: and
Amigados both try to identify it at the same time.  MSH: can't make
heads or tails of it and gives up (ie. the read/write error) then when
you click the cancel requester it goes away and gives control back
to Amigados.

David Poland
2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

bheil@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Brian Heil) (11/18/90)

From article <26992.27451cc3@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, by 2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu:

[ My original post deleted ]

> In the (ahem) manual it says that when you have inserted an MSH: disk and then
> remove it and insert an Amigados disk directly after it that MSH: and
> Amigados both try to identify it at the same time.  MSH: can't make
> heads or tails of it and gives up (ie. the read/write error) then when
> you click the cancel requester it goes away and gives control back
> to Amigados.
>
> David Poland
> 2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

So this is (in the words of NASA) nominal behavior and I have to live with it?

I guess I didn't understand that part of the man page (or I read it too fast),
my fault.  Considering the price I think I can live with it!  Just out of
curiosity does this also happen with Crossdos?

phil@adam.adelaide.edu.au (Phil Kernick) (11/19/90)

bheil@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Brian Heil) writes:

>I guess I didn't understand that part of the man page (or I read it too fast),
>my fault.  Considering the price I think I can live with it!  Just out of
>curiosity does this also happen with Crossdos?

Yes and no.  I have cross-dos 4.0 (small substory, I bought it from a mail
order house in California for US$19 and it took about a week to get here,
but if I had bought it locally, in Adelaide South Australia, it would
have cost AU$79 which is about US$63!!!) and it exhibits a similar
problem.

If you insert an MS-DOS volume in a drive it is accessed correctly.
If you remove it and replace it with an Amiga-DOS volume, everything works.
If you insert an MS-DOS volume, remove it, and replace it with *another*
MS-DOS volume, you get a:
        Disk removed to soon
        Data may be corrupted
        Please replace volume <name>
        Retry           Cancel
requestor most of the time - but not always!  I just cancel them and they
go away cleanly.

CrossDos also works perfectly with SKsh (thanks Steve, great shell!).
For US$19, go and buy CrossDos.  I got it from MicroMega, La Mesa, Ca.

Disclaimer:  I have no connection with CrossDos or MicroMegs except that
I am a happy customer, and have no hesitation in recommending them.

Phil.
--
Phil Kernick                            EMail:  phil@adam.adelaide.edu.au
Departmental Engineer                   Phone:  +618 228 5914

phil@adam.adelaide.edu.au (Phil Kernick) writes:

>Yes and no.  I have cross-dos 4.0

>If you insert an MS-DOS volume in a drive it is accessed correctly.
>If you remove it and replace it with an Amiga-DOS volume, everything works.
>If you insert an MS-DOS volume, remove it, and replace it with *another*
>MS-DOS volume, you get a:
>        Disk removed to soon
>        Data may be corrupted
>        Please replace volume <name>
>        Retry           Cancel
>requestor most of the time - but not always!  I just cancel them and they
>go away cleanly.

I have the read only demo version of Crossdos and have never had that problem.
I usually grab stuff from comp.binaries.amiga at work, copy it to several
MSDOS diskettes and take them home and use Crossdos to copy them to amiga
disks (actually, I just unpack them directly from the disk using Zoo or
Lharc). So I am constantly switching disks and I have never gotten a
requestor like you mention above. I would figure that the full blown version
of crossdos would be at least as hardy as the demo version.

>CrossDos also works perfectly with SKsh (thanks Steve, great shell!).
>For US$19, go and buy CrossDos.  I got it from MicroMega, La Mesa, Ca.

Try Crossdos without SKsh and see if it still gives you the requestors.
The only flakey thing I have found with my version of crossdos is when
using a similar shell like program. Shell 4.01. whenever I use Shell 4.01
to do a DIR on the msdos floppy, it kicks up a requestor saying 'Volume is
write protected, retry cancel'. It doesn't do this when not using the Shell.
Maybe your problem is a similar one. After I click cancel, it goes ahead
and prints the directory.

And before any one writes me to tell me that my dir command might have a
virus attached to it that is trying to write to the MSDOS floppy..
I don't think so: The dir command is built into the
shell itself and it is the only command that seems to kick up the requestor,
and it doesn't kick up a requestor on write-protected Amigados floppies

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

rhialto@cs.kun.nl (Olaf Seibert) (11/21/90)

In article <3244@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> bheil@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Brian Heil) writes:
>So this is (in the words of NASA) nominal behavior and I have to live with it?

Not anymore. So many people complaied about it that in the newer version
that you can find on Fish disk 382 I removed this feature. I personally
found it convenient, but the rest of the world seemed to disagree.

>Brian Heil                           )              University of Iowa
--
Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert                               rhialto@cs.kun.nl
How can you be so stupid if you're identical to me? -Robert Silverberg