[comp.sys.amiga] WHY AMIGA IS THE BEST! C'MON!!!!

a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (11/19/90)

In article <16001@brahms.udel.edu> jeremym@brahms.udel.edu
(Jeremy A Moskowitz) writes:

>Well, it's term paper time. But, wait! It's not as bad as all that.

     If it's acceptable, why not spread some good PR?  But first...

>Listen, we all know amiga is the best - I just have to put it on
                                                        ^^^^^^^^^
>paper why!!! :) So.. since we all agree on that, at least,
 ^^^^^^^^^
>let's collectily throw ideas around why we think it's the best.
       ^^^^^^^^^^
>I think it's superior graphics and price make it clearly the only
         ^^^^
>choice. That is my thesis statement. So, sice I consider everyone on
                                          ^^^^
>the NET as EXPERTS, anyone who mails me a reason or two
>get's a bi-line in my paper, and, hey, who knows! it might
 ^^^^^   ^^^^^^^

     See my point?  Let's make sure the spelling and grammar gets
cleaned up, so we don't look like those semi-literate Mac users
that people have been arguing about.  Besides, it'll make a MUCH
better impression on your English teacher.  :-)

     Please don't take this as a flame.  I just feel that if we're
going to promote the Amiga, we should try to present the best image
we can.  If we can write something that looks clean and professional,
but still infuses others with the same sort of excitement that we
feel for the Amiga, it's bound to be more effective than something
that sounds like BIFF proclaiming, "HAY D00D, THEEZ AMIGA'S R GRATE!!"

     But I digress.  Tell people about how, thanks to the Video
Toaster, a $5000 Amiga set-up can equal $100,000 worth of specialized
video gear.  Mention the increasing number of musicians who find that
the Amiga has great MIDI software.  Laugh at MS-DOS victims, stuck in
their little 640K world as you slap on another megabyte of memory.
Laugh even harder when their Great White Hope, OS/2, forces them to
buy four megabytes or more do what an Amiga can do in one or two
megabytes.  Express puzzlement at machines that won't let you do
other useful work while you're downloading a large file from a BBS.

     A good source of ideas is right at your fingertips: this very
newsgroup.  Scan the recent articles; Amiga success stories abound.

>E Pluribus// Contact me if you wish for whatever reason:
> *UNIX*  //  Pri: jeremy@freezer.it.udel.edu Second: jeremym@brahms.udel.edu
>     \ //   Lastly, if neither of those work      : jeremy@vax1.udel.edu
>      >/     ---> Know what I hate most? Rhetorical questions. <----

Re-stated: "Don't you just hate rhetorical questions?"  :-)

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
Intel put the "backward" in "backward compatible."

jeremym@brahms.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) (11/19/90)

Well, it's term paper time. But, wait! It's not as bad as all that.

Listen, we all know amiga is the best - I just have to put it on
paper why!!! :) So.. since we all agree on that, at least,
let's collectily throw ideas around why we think it's the best.

I think it's superior graphics and price make it clearly the only
choice. That is my thesis statement. So, sice I consider everyone on
the NET as EXPERTS, anyone who mails me a reason or two
get's a bi-line in my paper, and, hey, who knows! it might
get published somewhere - so... throw ideas to my
why you think the amiga is the BEST darn machine on the planet..

and why IBM's At[rash]i's Next's etc, etc stink. Give me EXAMPLES!!!
Ya know what I mean! Facts, prices, horror stories! I have to make
the AMIGA LOOK like it's the best thing since chocolate chip cookies.

So.. please reply. I'll even mail you a copy of the paper when it's
finished - even before that mean old english teacher (who's 23)
gets a crack at it! Hehe (actually, she's quite cute)....
But, anyway... Thanks for your replies and you'll
get a paper if you request it. But, witout examples, I cannot
send a paper. Sooooooooo! Throw them IBM's out the window,
and let's shake-it!

jeremym@brahms.udel.edu (and anything else below)

      \X/     ---> Know what I hate most? Rhetorical questions. <----

kdarling@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (11/19/90)

In <16001@brahms.udel.edu> jeremym@brahms.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz):

> I think its superior graphics and price make it clearly the only
> choice. That is my thesis statement.

"..only choice" for what purpose?  Better extend your opening statement :-).

> and why IBM's At[rash]i's Next's etc, etc stink. Give me EXAMPLES!!!
> Ya know what I mean! Facts, prices, horror stories!

How about an alternative, tho related, topic instead?  Call your paper,
"computer racism".  I'm serious; someone should've done one of these
long ago.  Could be very interesting reading (perhaps even get an "A" ;-).

You could show how old racist sayings, such as "all xxx men are ignorant"
or "those yyy people are cheap", now show up in computer conversations
in reference to machine brands other than your own "superior race".
In other words, does pride of ownership today require putdowns of others?

Another comparison (this is one I use a lot) would be to other appliances:
Why don't owners of say, Black&Decker food processors band together and
exclaim how great the attachments are, versus those "awful GE machines
and the dummies who use them"??  What makes computers so unusual?

Again, I am serious.  All computer owners get into this "fanatic" mode
at times... it'd make a great thesis to explore =why=.  Is it because of
the fact that people get together with fellow owners?  Insular groupings?
Investment in time and money?  Lack of real knowledge?  Too much knowledge?
We all do it now and again (some more than others). I don't like it, even
tho I fall into the same trap.  Factual discussion and personal likes are
fine, zealotry is not.  Explore the topic. It's free ;-). Go for a Pulitzer!

a596@mindlink.UUCP (Terry Palfrey) (11/20/90)

>> what everybody else says
oh if you're still taking advice also mention how you did something you
know...I used this pd thing to do this and then multitasked to that and when
this didn't work I called up such and such then I realised I didn't have a
domajiggy so I borrowed my friend's whatchamacally and made some then it took
me Xminutes to put it all together....now when these people think about it
they'll realise they couldn't do any of that on their machines for less than
umpteen thousand dollars....oh and while you're at it make your thesis an
interactive demonstration with amigavision both in video and on disk to back up
your DTP'd hardcopy complete with graphics.....on the other hand computer
bigotry makes me smile too.....83)

In article <1990Nov19.151929.7409@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> kdarling@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) writes:
>In <16001@brahms.udel.edu> jeremym@brahms.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz):
>
>> I think its superior graphics and price make it clearly the only
>> choice. That is my thesis statement.
>
>How about an alternative, tho related, topic instead?  Call your paper,
>"computer racism".  I'm serious; someone should've done one of these
>long ago.  Could be very interesting reading (perhaps even get an "A" ;-).
>
>Again, I am serious.  All computer owners get into this "fanatic" mode
>at times... it'd make a great thesis to explore =why=.  Is it because of
>the fact that people get together with fellow owners?  Insular groupings?
>Investment in time and money?  Lack of real knowledge?  Too much knowledge?

Interesting point. You're sure right. But I observe that sort of
fanatism also on myself. Back in the old days I was a true fanatic
of our PETs and CBM 8000's. But when they declined I chose the Amiga
for their successor, NOT the PCs which we also have (and are selling
LOTS of them, as you probably know). Truely, I don't like PCs, I
don't like processors with an 8 in front of their name and computers
built with them. This may stem from my first microprocessor encounter
with the Intel 8085. I had all the Intel manuals and on EVERY page
there was a copyright notice about the unique Intel mnemonics. And
these mnemonics of the 8080 and 8085 (and 80x86) are the most
unlogical stuff I ever saw. Really digusting. And then I got to know
6502 machine language. Clean, nearly orthogonal, logical, I fell in
love...

Now, I think this fanatism helps a lot in daily work. You always
encounter difficulties of one sort or another. If you then aren't
fanatised, you would soon give in.

Perhaps the better way to name it would be "emotional". Well, I
LIKE the Amiga definitely better than other computers, but I also
see that those also have their advantages. So they also shell live.
But as long as I'm able to choose, I know which I choose.

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (11/21/90)

In article <3857@mindlink.UUCP> a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) writes:
>In article <16001@brahms.udel.edu> jeremym@brahms.udel.edu
>(Jeremy A Moskowitz) writes:
[ misspelling-riddled quote deleted ]
>     See my point?  Let's make sure the spelling and grammar gets
>cleaned up, so we don't look like those semi-literate Mac users
>that people have been arguing about.  Besides, it'll make a MUCH
>better impression on your English teacher.  :-)
>
>     Please don't take this as a flame.  I just feel that if we're
>going to promote the Amiga, we should try to present the best image
>we can.  If we can write something that looks clean and professional,
>but still infuses others with the same sort of excitement that we
>feel for the Amiga, it's bound to be more effective than something
>that sounds like BIFF proclaiming, "HAY D00D, THEEZ AMIGA'S R GRATE!!"
>
>     But I digress.  Tell people about how, thanks to the Video
>Toaster, a $5000 Amiga set-up can equal $100,000 worth of specialized
>video gear.  Mention the increasing number of musicians who find that
>the Amiga has great MIDI software.  Laugh at MS-DOS victims, stuck in
>their little 640K world as you slap on another megabyte of memory.
>Laugh even harder when their Great White Hope, OS/2, forces them to
>buy four megabytes or more do what an Amiga can do in one or two
>megabytes.  Express puzzlement at machines that won't let you do
>other useful work while you're downloading a large file from a BBS.

May I humbly suggest that you say nothing outright disparaging of other
machines?  Because [a] the Amiga people in your audience already believe
the bad things about other pee-cees, so why regurgitate litany?; [b] the
non-Amiga people in your audience will probably turn off as soon as flames
appear; and [c] you may very well not know enough about other pee-cees to
make valid claims about what they can or cannot do as well as the Amiga.

If you want to win new people to your camp, simply state -- eloquently but
succintly -- why the Amiga is a Good Thing.  Be wary of making direct
feature comparisons for reason [c] above (unless perhaps you really know
what you're saying :-), and try to avoid making value-judgements for your
readers.  (At the very least, don't look down your nose at "those idiots
who bought brand X", because those are the very same "idiots" you're
addressing, right?)

>     A good source of ideas is right at your fingertips: this very
>newsgroup.  Scan the recent articles; Amiga success stories abound.

Again, be wary.  I've read an awful lot of religion in this group that,
were I unaccustomed to reading News :-), would probably turn me off a bit.

Sorry if I've offended anyone; I'm merely tired of being evangelized.
I'd like to see some good, reasonably objective arguments for buying a
particular pee-cee brand for a change.  Not that I don't see them here,
of course...
--
"The goons are riding motorcycles, but WE'VE  | (Steve) rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
 got a whole big metal car! This will be like | The Apollo Systems Division of

wdieteri@wrdis03.af.mil (William Dieterich) (11/22/90)

In article <1990Nov19.151929.7409@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> kdarling@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) writes:
>Why don't owners of say, Black&Decker food processors band together and
>exclaim how great the attachments are, versus those "awful GE machines
>and the dummies who use them"??

What you haven't been reading APPLIANCE.FOODPROCESSOR.GE ??